We chat about videogames and videogame accessories.

Poll: Videogames or videogame accesories?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
vidgajames
85.53%
65 85.53%
accesories
14.47%
11 14.47%
Total 76 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

We chat about videogames and videogame accessories.
RE: We chat about videogames and videogame accessories.
I'm getting more of a handle on why Rocket Slime is awesome
last fanboy post I swear

It's something about the moment-to-moment charmingness that fills not just art and writing, but also the mechanics of stretching yourself out, floating, stacking things on your head, and using them for whatever you can come up with. All kinds of nostalgia glasses going on, of course, but it evokes a more innocent world, one where you can legitimately feel sorry for and empathize with your enemies. Actually defeating anything feels like a tragic waste by the end.
It has a great rhythm of meditative casual play vs brief intensity, and definitely wants you to explore at your own pace, given all the peaceful backgrounds and side content. But as I said there's rhythm, and the tank battles are a crazy adrenaline rush where you're given a lot of viable options and have to think and play fast. It's hard to describe, but the tank fights include a lot of freedom to either follow the strategies you planned and set up or ignore them and yolo hard through just a handful of decisions, but there's simultaneously a lot of pressure on to do it correctly. (The one thing that was a bit disappointing is that the unlockable tanks are only used for the side tank tournaments, not the main plot. It would have been awesome to play through the story as my lizard mecha waifu Argonaut.) The designers did a great job of structuring the plot such that you always seem to be advancing to stronger opponents despite the rising odds.
The tank battles are really the most special part, I suppose. It's like Rocket Slime is a quirky, innovative and solid top-down adventure game, but then it turns out the whole game you thought you were playing is just a support system for an even better tank-fighting game, and the truly amazing part is that you never notice the seams between the two games. The only other game that's ever made me feel this way about hybrid gameplay is XCOM: Enemy Unknown, which was also amazing, so there you have it.
If I had to sum up what I love about Rocket Slime in one sentence, I would say this: It manages to be completely absurd and divorced from reality while still making perfect sense relative to itself.
"The parties are advised to chill." - Supreme Court of the United States, case opinion written by Justice Souter

Messages In This Thread
RE: We chat about videogames and videogame accessories. - by TickTickTockTock - 10-19-2013, 11:12 AM