Grand Battle Planning and General Discussion Thread

Grand Battle Planning and General Discussion Thread
RE: Grand Battle Planning and General Discussion Thread
My favourite round, as should be no surprise to anyone who actually wrote with me in it, was Genreshift. Godsworn is also pretty great, though I've not really been present enough to demonstrate my love for it.

I think personally the thing that makes a round good or not for me is how detailed a description is given of it. There are some rounds where the creator has clearly thought a lot about it and come up with something that they think is cool, but that doesn't necessarily translate that I will think it is cool. Or on the other hand there are rounds that are quite vague but in which I just can't find anything to work with. What I feel a round needs is the germ of an idea; something interesting but undeveloped.

I also feel that a good round works like an open sandbox for you to mess around and do whatever you want with, but certain rounds feel like the story is already mapped out (say through the imminent destruction of the environment or through a sparsity of options) and these just feel like a slog.

I think the more freedom you can give, the more room the writers have to develop the setting on their own (or not if they don't want to) then the better a round can be.

Rounds like Genreshift and Godsworn also have the distinction of having multiple different factions and a large location; giving every writer the chance to establish at least one thing they think is cool or interesting into the world, which wouldn't be possible in a smaller round.

In terms of rounds I wish I had done differently; All of IS. Even up to the most recent rounds all I can see is mistakes.

Rounds I'd like to have been a part of; Infinity Express, Vorlon Complex (maybe more these are just the ones that spring to mind).

Messages In This Thread
RE: Grand Battle Planning and General Discussion Thread - by Ixcaliber - 10-05-2013, 12:22 PM