The Grand Battle II! [Happy End!]

The Grand Battle II! [Happy End!]
Re: The Grand Battle II! [Round 2: Destructo World!]
Originally posted on MSPA by SleepingOrange.

The first time was at the behest of my companion. He had a plan that could theoretically have freed us from this competition, and he wanted as many people alive to see its completion as possible.

<I DO NOT MISS YOUR IMPLICATION GESTALT BUT I ASSURE YOU IT WAS NOT MY INTENTION TO KILL THE PROFESSOR>

And the carelessly discarded match did not intend to raze the forest.

Vyrm'n had no real concept of a metaphor in any case, and the golem's clumsy attempt at human rhetoric didn't help matters. The Faceless radiated confusion.

That is to say, intent is immaterial. What's done is done, regardless of why.

<THE SECOND TIME THEN DID YOU HAVE ANY FREE WILL AT ALL WHY DID YOU ATTACK>

Compulsion. Apprehension. Fear. I was not so much being controlled by Nu as being influenced.

<THEN THE DECISION TO ATTACK WAS YOUR OWN>

The hand paused for a moment, then wrote more slowly:

<YOU THINK WE WERE WRONG TO DESTROY THE SPHERES>

At this point, the schrotgolem returned to its work, apparently reasoning the Faceless was either not hostile or not enough of a threat to devote all its attention to.

Unequivocally. You killed and destroyed a whole world and its inhabitants; next to that, I would have much preferred to see any one or all of the contestants die.

An inflatable hammer, one of the prizes at the game, swung experimentally, bouncing off the ground and squeaking loudly; several other booths in the area seemed to be receiving attention as well, judging from the steady stream of darts, electronics, balloons, and various other detritus that was gradually filling the few visible boxes. Vyrm'n was silent for a few moments, watching the golem work; it was surprised to see how good the thing was at multitasking: even Vyrm'n's consciousness couldn't spread itself out as much, even though it seemed to have greater range. Eventually, the arm reached out again, ponderously penciling its message.

<WE WERE TRYING TO PREVENT THE KARMIST SAMUEL FROM OBTAINING THEIR POWER WHO KNOWS WHAT HE COULD HAVE DONE WITH IT>

There is no point justifying yourself to me. You obviously had your reasons; maybe you knew more. Maybe you were wrong. If I had enough of a grievance with you to warrant endless debate or second-guessing, I assure you you would have at least seven of the bricks I brought from the field lodged deep inside you already.

<YES BUT->

The pencil locked in place briefly, halting the Faceless mid-sentence.

Focusing on the past like this is pointless; the world we left is gone, and nothing can change that. What's done is done.

There was mental silence for some time as a marionette was thoroughly inspected and decoded. Vyrm'n watched it dance, clumsily at first; after only a few moments of experimentation, though, it was bowing and gesturing as though in the hands of a professional. The pencil trailed through the soil.

<TO MY PERCEPTION YOU SEEM TO HAVE AN AFFINITY FOR OBJECTS>

No response.

<I FIND THIS WORLD PARTICULARLY DISTRACTING AND TROUBLING BUT YOU SEEM QUITE AT HOME HERE>

Silence, followed by the crash of a collapsing Test Your Strength pillar as the last of its supporting structures were dismantled, catalogued, and secreted in crates.

<HOW DO YOU LIKE THIS ARENA>

Utility in frivolity. Temptations of, and hazards to, the flesh at every turn. So many new things. I am learning much, and much of what I learn is extremely confusing. A frustrating riddle to be savored, perhaps at a later date.

The golem had its puppet pose and gesticulate as its thoughts flowed into the Faceless. Vyrm'n could fathom why.

<NOT SOMEWHERE YOU ARE EAGER TO LINGER THEN>

At this point, I can only imagine each new place will afford more mysteries than the last.

Vyrm'n let the pencil roll back towards a box; the schrotgolem picked it up, and Vyrm'n let itself communicate directly.

Because I am most certainly not eager to stay here. The sooner we leave, the better, and I am more than happy to play the observer's game, even just for a while, to that end.

You mean to eliminate one of our fellow contestants, then? And you seek my blessing?

Yes. Not only because I want to ensure you don't stop me again, but because I suspect you are one of my worthier opponents, and a mutually beneficial agreement between the two of us could... Solve a number of problems.

Intriguing. I assume you already have a target in mind?

I do. The apparent weakest among us and the most certain among potential targets is the magician, Cabaret. All I ask is that you allow me to snuff his life without interference, and aid me should things proceed poorly.

A truce it is, then.

A helium balloon drifted against all logic to the ground, then affixed its cord to a box. A small party popper leapt out of the crate and snapped, spraying confetti towards the only dark object in this world of neon lights and neon colors, the bang echoing until it combined with the endless background calliope tune.

To teamwork.

Gestalt had quite a few ideas.

Show Content

Messages In This Thread
Re: The Grand Battle II! [Sign-ups!] - by GBCE - 10-02-2009, 02:03 AM
Re: The Grand Battle II! [Sign-ups!] - by btp - 10-02-2009, 02:13 AM
Re: The Grand Battle II! [Sign-ups!] - by GBCE - 10-02-2009, 03:55 PM
Re: The Grand Battle II! [Sign-ups!] - by GBCE - 10-02-2009, 04:56 PM
Re: The Grand Battle II! [Sign-ups!] - by GBCE - 10-02-2009, 05:21 PM
Re: The Grand Battle II! [Sign-ups!] - by Sruixan - 10-02-2009, 05:26 PM
Re: The Grand Battle II! [Sign-ups!] - by GBCE - 10-02-2009, 05:43 PM
Re: The Grand Battle II! [Sign-ups!] - by GBCE - 10-02-2009, 05:55 PM
Re: The Grand Battle II! [Sign-ups!] - by GBCE - 10-02-2009, 06:01 PM
Re: The Grand Battle II! [Sign-ups!] - by GBCE - 10-02-2009, 06:28 PM
Re: The Grand Battle II! [Sign-ups!] - by Schazer - 10-02-2009, 07:11 PM
Re: The Grand Battle II! [Sign-ups!] - by GBCE - 10-02-2009, 07:21 PM
Re: The Grand Battle II! [Round 2: Destructo World!] - by SleepingOrange - 10-12-2009, 04:01 AM
Re: The Grand Battle II! [Happy End!] - by GBCE - 11-17-2012, 12:21 PM