The Vivacious Deadlock: S3G6: Round Three: The Sable Masque

The Vivacious Deadlock: S3G6: Round Three: The Sable Masque
Re: The Vivacious Deadlock: S3G6: Round One: Genreshift
Originally posted on MSPA by Ixcalibur.

Show Content

Phere was in a tough spot. Her greatest asset in this battle was essentially rendered useless in close quarters combat. She had no need to see where Cascala was when she was in a tangled heap with the mage. She was disorientated and still coming around from the anaesthetic, she had barely registered the change in genre. Cascala clambered to her feet, reaching towards where her staff had fallen. Phere lashed out, kicking Cascala, knocking her back to the floor and attempting to crawl to whatever object it was that the arch-magus had been after.

Cascala grabbed Phere’s feet, hauling her back into the fray. “Guards!” she cried; force of habit. Cascala clamped her hand over Phere’s mouth, who promptly bit down on her exposed palm. With Phere having not used her magic in years (save for the short blast that had rather fortunately killed Zaibotsu), and Cascala having neither the time, space nor the wherewithal to use her magic their scuffle quickly descended to scratching, kicking and pulling at one another’s hair.

The Empress was sort of out of shape, she had always expected to have guards there to defend her from this kind of thing. As such Cascala quickly got the upper hand; landing a blow that would leave Phere with a pair of black eyes, so to speak. She climbed to her feet while Phere clutched her face in pain and retrieved her staff from where it had rolled. Phere climbed to her feet, clutching at the surgical table she had so recently lain upon for support.

Reunited with her staff Cascala wasted no time. Phere had never heard the words coming from Cascala’s mouth, the magic in her world being less verbal more mental, but she understood them nonetheless. As blood rushed up through her body pooling in her throat, seeping out of her eye and ears, she gasped a single word. “Wait.”

Cascala had seen this woman’s abilities; she was no match for her physically or magically. She glanced to the doorway; there was nobody there ready to back up the Empress. She wasn’t sure what prompted it, perhaps an idle curiosity accompanied by the supreme confidence she could extinguish her competitor’s life at any point she chose. She relented, Phere’s blood rushing back through her body as it was supposed to. “What?” she asked.

Phere was of course momentarily silent as she gratefully sucked down lungfuls of air.
“I can help.” She said, between gasps. “I clearly can’t stand against you, but maybe I could help you, in exchange you let me live.”

Cascala’s mind raced ahead of the conversation; Phere could see whomever she wished and so far her problem had been that she had not been able to locate her targets. She could easily kill this so-called Empress whenever she wished, but first it might be prudent to make use of her powers.

“You locate the others for me and you live.” Cascala replied cutting off Phere half-way through her proposal. “That is acceptable.” For a moment she contemplated which of her competitors it would be the most advantageous to get a drop on, settling quickly on Nalzaki. “Where is the hydra?”

Phere’s vision quickly flicked to the same dark alleyway where she had seen the Tome plunge into the sewer. “They’re in a back alley about halfway between here and the castle.”

“That’s incredibly vague…” Cascala replied, emphatically drumming her fingers along her staff.

“Take a radio.” Phere said, tossing one of the mechanical devices to the mage. “That way I can give you directions as you go.”

--------

Abys had opted not to interfere with the fight between the hydra and the shadow creature as it had broke out. Phere had been counting on her to get hold of the Tome, and as the others had battled she had waited for an opening. She watched as it tumbled down into the sewer, and satisfied that nobody was paying her any attention at the moment she quietly slipped away from the group, effortlessly lifting the grate and slipping into the sewer below.

--------

Phere watched as Cascala left, still shaken up by the sudden and very close confrontation. Through a little edge of her seat manoeuvring she had come out mostly unharmed and with a new ally/nemesis. Though she would not give the order to have Cascala killed just yet, she knew she would have to keep a close eye on her…

Messages In This Thread
Re: The Vivacious Deadlock: S3G6: Round One: Genreshift - by Ixcaliber - 07-31-2011, 08:16 PM