The Battle Majestic (Round 4 - Magpie Skies)

The Battle Majestic (Round 4 - Magpie Skies)
Re: The Battle Majestic (Round 2 - Firestar)
Originally posted on MSPA by Drakenforge.

The first few minutes were hazy at best for Wolf. The voice in his head kept apologising for something he didn't know about. He understood patches of her explanations, but they were meaningless on their own. There was something about being not-breath, like freshly hunted prey. Danger also popped up several times. But Wolf was still too dizzy to make sense of anything. He eventually sniffed out a fast-wet and wobbled over to it. He sank his head into the cold water, shook himself off, and lapped up as much as he could. He felt better, the world wasn't half as blurry as it had been, and he was able to balance properly again. His stomach still hurt though, even worse than before.

How do you feel?

My gut hurts in a way I have never felt before. But apart from that I seem fine.

I see. That's something, at least. Let me introduce myself while I still have time. My name is Iris, I was once the, how should I explain, head female I suppose, of the clan of humans that worships the wolf. Those people who captured you before this began, they were also of that clan. They sought to bring me back. Nobody ever managed to surpass my expertise it seems, so they thought me some sort of supernatural being. Well, they were right in some ways. My gifts did allow me to have greater than human abilities. But I was dead for several centuries. My legends became mere myth. Fanatics arose. All while I was gaining power in the nether...

No, that won't make much sense to you so I won't bother you with the details. I was once dead. Not-breath. But they kept a part of me, my heart, in perfect condition. They even revitalised it to some extent, but how I do not know. And so, they were going to bring me back to the mortal world as one of my descendants as a bridge, and as a host.

But that's when you popped up. I foresaw that you would leave that world Wolf. Your fate was decided. With the girl overpowered by medicine I possessed her for a time. I decreed that I would take your body and not hers.

So that is why the taillesses bound me. How did they get you in my head?

It isn't your head I am inside, Wolf. They drugged you, and, well.

They cut out your heart. The one beating inside your body right now is mine. My souls are connected to it, and through it, to you. I can't get my own body to this world without sacrificing yours. This was a terrible price, and I'm sorry. I was selfish. Too see it as merely shortening your life a little was the wrong way to go about this.

Then I was to become not-breath anyway. How did you know this?

That is how this game works. One must die each time the location changes, and each location change is triggered by a death. That is the part of the rules you could not understand, but since I'm sharing my knowledge with you, you can finally understand the future tense. That is why Vex has been looking for ways out, for peace. But things are never that easy. Each location will harbour difficulties that stand in his way. Ultimately, our deaths don't mean anything to them.

Wolf understood. This person was strong, he could feel it in her souls. He was just an animal. He was unnatural, a thing that should not be. A wolf that is not a wolf. He decided then, that he could be more use in death.

What will happen when I die?

This question surprised the sage. She knew where the doomed spirits of her kind went, at least in her own realm. She knew not where the spirits of the animals went. It was assumed by the clans they joined the Guardian spirits and watched over the world. But from her experience, that might not have been what happens.

I'll bring you back there. To where you belong. You'll get to watch over your kind.

It wasn't a lie. She told him exactly what she had believed. The guardians where still back there. Perhaps Wolf would join them. She would bring his spirit back and let him ascend. She promised herself this.

Wolf accepted her words. He sniffed out the others. Two were up the volcano. Steven was with Blitz, and Sen too, was there. Vex was surrounded by the tribal people.

He could meet up with Sen, or find Vex and explain things.

There seems to be a problem with Vex. And Sen is very near the dark-skinned taillesses.

Hm. I do not like the sound of either of those facts. For now, observe them. I'll see what we can do then.

Wolf loped towards them as fast as he could manage, ripping through bushes and shrubs with little regard for leaving tracks. He could hear the taillesses speak clearly with his sensitive ears, and picked up Steven conversing with Blitz. He overheard that Vex had asked Steven to make a trap to contain him.

Did you catch that?

Yes. It seems Vex had a plan to stay here for quite some time. If Sen unleashed another of those huge plants, this world would be overrun in minutes. I doubt that is the final outcome of this world. Listen, what do you hear from the animals native to this world?

Wolf did as she asked. All he could hear on the entire island was the sound of creatures attempting to be very quiet. No birds sang and no plant eaters scrounged. There was danger looming over the island and all the animals could feel it. Wolf also felt unneasy.

Quiet. They fear something. Danger.

Exactly. Something bad is about to happen, and I bet that volcano is the key. Something might trigger an eruption. We better ask about it. You don't mind revealing yourself, do you?

It doesn't matter anymore. Let them know I am unnatural for all the good it will do them.

Wolf approached the camp and passed by the lengths of chains. He padded up to a female sharpening tools and said "Tell me everything about the volcano. Now. And don't look at me like that, yes, I can talk. Now make with the explanation."

In hindsight he felt he should have been more courteous, but there was too much riding on the answers she could provide.

"Uh... eh? Oh, ok. Well, we honour the ancient one who keeps it's fire's at bay. It's tradition. Lately we've had to appease it more and more. I hope it calms down soon."

Ancient one? There must be some sort of god that overlooks things here.

Like Vexmagog?

Most likely. We should see what he thinks of this.

Wolf quickly sniffed out his unique scent and padded towards his location. He saw Sen kneeling close to the humans. He felt kind of sad, knowing that he might never appease his pack-leader for whatever he had done to anger it in the last round. He made a mental apology to it, and moved on. He was not expecting to find Vexmagog unconscious. And from the sounds of it, his arm had done some damage while he was out cold.

It looks like they drugged him. I don't know how long he'll be. From the looks of it, some sort of fungus. Short term for someone like him. I just hope that... No. Oh dear. That would be bad.

What? What's wrong with him being asleep?

These drugs bring beings closer to spirits and such things. That's how I managed to get through to you. But for Vex's case, he's a god. He could probably commune with the other gods in his state. And if the state of the volcano shows anything, it seems that god will not have a very large tolerance for antics. I pray that Vex keeps a cool head while he's out. Otherwise, we'll all be in very deep trouble.

Messages In This Thread
Re: The Battle Majestic (Round 2 - Firestar) - by GBCE - 06-26-2010, 03:38 PM
[No subject] - by Ixcaliber - 03-10-2013, 04:51 AM