This is gonna be the thread where we talk about stuff

This is gonna be the thread where we talk about stuff
RE: This is gonna be the thread where we talk about stuff
If you make a New Year's resolution, you are less likely to follow through with it than if you simply decide to make a change in your life because it needs changing. This is a fact, and I'm really angry that I can't find the studies I'm looking for right now.

The thing is, if you try do something for a resolution, it's not a big failure. The difference between "I tried to quit smoking and I couldn't" and "I didn't really live up to my resolution" is enormous; nobody follows through on their resolutions, you and everyone around you will say, so it's not like it's really a problem. You won't try as hard if you attach your goals to a holiday known for failure, because hey, nobody can keep that stuff up for a year and nobody expects you to! You give yourself the feeling of "Hey, I tried" and continue doing the things you wanted to stop or not doing the ones you tried to start.

You need to make changes for yourself, not because there's an external impetus to make them, or you're not going to do it. By and large.

Messages In This Thread
RE: This is gonna be the thread where we talk about stuff - by SleepingOrange - 01-03-2012, 05:00 PM
[SERIOus] - by g0m - 04-17-2012, 03:06 AM
can you form a cohesive thought? - by Norivia - 09-01-2012, 01:32 AM
a52's Ear Infection Adventure - by a52 - 10-06-2016, 12:48 AM
Goodbye - by Reyweld - 04-11-2020, 04:41 AM