DEATHGAME 9000 [S!3] Round Two: Interplanetary Circus

DEATHGAME 9000 [S!3] Round Two: Interplanetary Circus
Re: DEATHGAME 9000 [S!3] Round One: Gamexus X99
Originally posted on MSPA by Solaris.

As Lynette struggled to keep her head in light of the suited, somewhat dapper ape who was now doting on her, she struggled to remember what the hell had happened. She had died. It was in an explosion and she was alive again just moments later but she had still died. And then she was treated to walking in the middle of a fight and now there was an ape checking up on her and she had no idea where she was and where is Vigil.

That really was the most pressing issue for Lynette, the location of her magical pet rabbit. The two hadn't been separated since they first met, even when they were met with opposition. Lynette attempted and failed to calm herself as she worried about where her bunny friend had gone off to and as the ape came closer. The ape was leaner than his Uncle Sandford, and unlike him was actually dressed in significant clothing, a dapper brown suit and pants. He leaned toward the visibly distressed girl and started to massage her.

"So. Allow me to introduce myself; I am Kaz, nephew of the famous ape Sandford."

Becoming a bit more at ease by Kaz's fingers, Lynette was able to speak, "Where am I?"

"My waterfall-side tree house. We brought you here after you appeared in the arena and then fainted."

As she loss more stress, the girl began to hear a melodic sound, that of rushing water dripping in a way that seemed almost musical. Shaking herself a bit, she rose from the bed toward the window, and saw a majestic waterfall. The view was breathtaking. In all her life, Lynette had kept to her home and whatever magical planes reflected it. She had never seen the anything natural that was as beautiful, the closest being a small forest near her home. The water sparkled in the sun, brushing with the brambles and branches.

"The Stickerbrush Falls are quite the sight huh? They flow on forever, or at least as far as I could ever see." Kaz ceased his massage and now had a pair of peeled oranges on a wooden tray. "Here, you must be hungry after all that's happened. Traveling takes a lot out of you."

Lynette graciously took the orange, still mesmerized by the sound and a bit woozy from her recent activities. The two sat in a bit of an awkward silence as Lynette ate her fruit.

When she finished, Kaz asked "So, do you have any more questions?"

Now calmer and in more control of herself, Lynette got up from her bed. "Uhm... well, while I certainly have enjoyed your hospitality, I need to go back."

"Are you sure that you don't want to stay and rest? Please, I insist, your friends can wait."

Lynette stepped back as the tall ape stepped forward, his delightful demeanor slightly put down. That was enough for Lynette. Magically forming her baton and pointing it at the ape, she stepped backwards, hoping that she could make some show of it despite her low spiritual energy. Kaz simply sighed and drew what looked like a gun made out of wood and then calmly said, "I'm sorry Lynette, but a bluff won't work. I know that you don't quite work that way."

Lynette proved the ape wrong by shooting out a small beam of spirit magic at the ape. "Oh, it looks like I do work that way. I'm sorry, didn't you get the memo?" However, her victorious feeling was quickly stomped out as Kaz was knocked back, but not knocked out.

"Well, that was interesting, but ineffectual. This however, would be. Poison Power Pellets, nasty stuff, I don't want to fire it at you, but I will if you force me too."

Lynette scowled. For a while now, it seemed like she was being fucked with. Back home, her power was... well, powerful! There was magic, which meant spirits, which meant that she could do things other than rely on some silly lizard or stupid fairy. With the exception of her stint controlling those living ghosts to beat the fire-kangaroo, she had just been thrust from situation to situation, each one rendering her increasingly powerless. She hated it, not just because it was demeaning for her to be weak, but because it reminded of her life before she met Vigil.

"Now, come on, I don't want to hurt you, I just want to figure out what is going on. Just follow along like a good girl."

"You kidnap me, and threaten me, and now you want me to listen to you? Really?"

"Well it isn't like you have that much of a choice."

Lynette looked around the small cabin, hoping for a way out, but there wasn't any. The only entrances were the door that she wouldn't have a chance to get out before she got shot, and the window that was adjacent to a spiraling waterfall... the seemingly endless waterfall. "You're right... not many choices here..."

Lynette slowly walked back to the bed, ever scowling.

"See, was that so hard? Now let’s get down to business. I just want some answers, that’s all."

Leaning against the open window, listening to the symphonic flow, Lynette closed her eyes and said "Too bad," as she slipped out the window, down into the spiraling waterfall bellow.

Kaz simply sighed. "Always with the drama these days." The ape put down his weapon and took out a walkie-talky. Looking down at the girl who was soon to break out of his world and into another, a voice cracked.

"I assume that the mission failed?"
"Yes."
"Troubling, but it matters not. It seems that another individual has been seen at the Last Checkpoint. We can capture her soon."
"Do you want me to go there?"
"No, I have already have an agent on site. Report back to the base."
"Yes sir. I understand."

===

"I don't understand."

"Don't understand what exactly, I mean, given where we are that's sort of understandable."

Eris, with Vigil riding on her head, had somehow ended up once more in some sort of weird, featureless area of whiteness. Rather than go back as Vigil suggested, Eris kept on moving forward, more wanting to get away from those dudes with the crazy hair than wanting to find Lynette. Not in control of his situation at all, the rabbit begrudgingly allowed her to lead them into where they were, whiteness and emptiness and an overall feeling of being in between.

Eris tried very hard not to think about the similarities between here and her former cell and went as quickly as possible, hoping that something, anything would appear, and that it would do so very quickly.

Luckily for her, it did. Whiteness gave way to grass and dirt and floor, to blue and white and sky, and soon after that to life and features, before Eris began to see a building. Without any warning to her passenger, Eris stopped on a dime, unwittingly launching her bunny passenger into the window of The Last Checkpoint.

"The Last Checkpoint was a tavern with all of the normal tavern trappings. There were your polished wooden floors, the barside row of seats, plenty of tables and chairs for all sorts to sit, mirth, and fight on or with, and a healthy supply of cleaning rats. The bar also happened to consist of an infinite amount of space, with doors that led to more taverns, each with more booze and more beds, and of course more patrons.

The patrons, ranging from a celebratory protagonist who had saved the world, to a downtrodden secondary character who didn't even appear in the end credits, were from all walks of life. Platformer, shooters, strategy, RPG, Visual Novel, there was something for someone somewhere in the bar, even if you had to take a few doors to get to it.
Or in Vigil's case, a window.

The rabbit crashed through the window and straight into an empty chair by the bar, catching the attention of the Barkeep.

"Hi! Welcome to the LAST CHECKPOINT Tavern, how may I help you? Would you like to BUY something, SELL something, or hear some RUMORS?"

Before Vigil could recover an angry voice to the side of him yelled, "Oi, Barkeep! Ya forgot about me! I was here foist ya know! Are ya ignoring me cuz I'm an Insect? Izzat all I am to you? Ya better be listenin o-"

*Squash*

The Barkeep turned to the new person in the now squashed bug's seat and gave his greeting, "Hi! Welcome to the LAST CHECKPOINT Tavern, how may I help you? Would you like to BUY something, SELL something, or hear some RUMORS?"
"Just the usual."
"Coming right up!"

As the Barkeep prepared his drink, the new patron bopped Vigil on the head.
"So, what's your story?"

Vigil recomposed himself and looked at the man that was addressing him. His face was hard, with a sharp chin, brown hair and a beard, all topped off with a camouflage bandanna. As vigil looked down, he saw that the man was muscular but lean, and completely dressed in camouflage.

Before Vigil could reply, the man continued, "People have changed... they don't realize it, but I do."
"...What?"
"As time has gone on, we've changed, we've all changed, but not in the way that's right. Starting from my final fight and going back, back to something that I didn't think I'd ever have to remember. Others don't remember; they miss the things that have changed. They let themselves flip in demeanor and mindset, going from a man who needs to leave the world of war, to one who jumps to the call. I don't want to be either man, but I don't have a choice. People haven't changed, they have changed me."
"What."

The conversation continued like this for quite some time, the man spouting some pseudo-philosophical words about war, change, MEGA GEAR, and death while Vigil was just confused as to why he was talking to him.

"Wow, he just doesn't shut up."

"Vigil turned around to see Eris, drinking something, sitting non-nonchalantly. "How long have you been there?"
"I dunno," she shrugged.
""You know what, whatever. Let's just try to scout for some information here. This is a bar, someone has to know something."

There was a clang as the camouflaged man slammed his empty glass on the counter and gave off an "ahhh". He turned to the chatting two, "So, what can I do you for?"

Before Vigil could give off another 'what the hell are you on about', Eris moved to Vigil's seat (with him still in it) and happily replied, "Well you see we are trying our friend! She's has poofs and purples and blue hair."

""I see... Well then, you've come to the right place, and to the right man. The name's Hard Snake. I may not be in control of who I am, but I am in control of what I remember, and what I can do. I'll help you find your friend."
"Cool! You know Vigil; I'm thinking that maybe this guy isn’t as boring as I thought! Alright, Hardy, what do we do?"
""Everyone comes to The Last Checkpoint at some point. Well, either here or... the other place. Either way, if we don't find this girl here, we'll find someone who does."
"Yuh-huh, well how do we find out someone who does?"
""You ask around."
"Oh, thank you for your wise wisdom. Asking someone for information? If only I thought of an idea that unique and unheard of."

"Please ignore the pissy rabbit; he is just mad that his giiiiirlfriend isn't here. Now, asking someone... I can do that..."

Eris turned away from the bar counter and noticed just how many people were in the bar. Talking to each one individually for the slim hope that one of them would have information that she needed sounded... boring and tedious. No, no, no, there had to be something better, faster, interestingier that could be done...

""Hey, rabbit, I don't like the look that your friend got in her eyes."

"ALRIGHT!"

Eris floated upward and around to the center of the bar and took out a megaphone. "HEY, ALL OF YOU BORING BAR PEOPLE. PAY ATTENTION TO ME. I AM ERIS, I AM TRYING TO FIND A FRIEND OF MINE. YOU ARE GOING TO HELP ME OKAY?"

"A laughter rung out from the bar. An overtly muscular man ceased his laughter for taunting purposes, "And what if we refuse to help puny girl?"

"THEN I'LL BEAT YOU UP!"

"The various bar patrons laughed even louder at this, some of them going to tears. Vigil noticed that Hard Snake was preparing something and that the Barkeep had mysteriously dissipated. He looked at the various patrons, and noticed that while many were laughing, quite a number of them were warming up.

God damn it!
"Eris you idiot! Shut up before-"

But it was too late. A rose floated its way to Eris. She grabbed it only for it to explode in her face.

The fight had begun.

As the various bar patrons started to get up and throw tables and chairs, Eris dodged and made her way back to Vigil.

"So... I think I might have made a mistake here."

""No, really?"
"Yea, really! Where did Hardy go?"
""I'm right here, I've just invisible."
"Oh."
""Now, what are we going to do about this?"
"Uhm... fight?"
""Fight?"
"Yea, that sounds good come on!"
""Are you- okay, well you are, but I mean really? Fight? I don't have thumbs or fists."
"That doesn't stop Danger Hound."
"Stay out of this! Wait, Eris what are you doing with that glue?"

Moments later, Vigil was Super Gorilla Glued to the chaos child, very angry and very stuck. While he certainly didn't want to give in to any urges or do things that would satisfy Eris' hunger for chaos, after getting beamed by a rose for the fifth time in a row, Vigil decided that he would have to take a more active approach.

"Well Eris, if it a fight you want, it is a fight you'll get." Vigil put on a sadistic grin as he glowed. "Hope that you're ready."

===

where am i
i feel white
and in between
it feels familiar
but different

Lynette didn't know how long she had been falling since she jumped down into the Stickerbrush Falls and out into the whiteness in between. Her thoughts rebounded on themselves as the white began to seem eternal. Had she made a mistake? Would complying with the ape's demands have been that bad? She didn't know. She didn't care.

Suddenly, the white started to fade, turning darker. Lynette stopped falling in the white and began to descend into the black. It felt like diving into water, but she didn't feel wet.

what is going on
am i dead
why is everything black

good question

Lynette placed herself upright, and took note of the suddenly appearing world around her. It was faint and not recognizable, but there was something. But that something was not the source of the voice.

She tried to speak with her mouth, but no words come out. However, she found that wishing to speak made words just sort of... happen.
where are you

once again
good question

Slowly the faint world became more solid, first the ceiling appearing, then the walls, and finally the floor. As the furniture, mostly old and ornate appeared after it, Lynette realized that this was her home.

but it is not your home
not anymore

Standing in front of her... was herself. Only it wasn't quite herself. It was more elegant, longer hair, and it seemed more... magical. It didn't have any scratches or aches, it looked pampered and cared for. It was wearing a dress that Lynette recognized as belonging to her sister.

who are you

i am thou...
thou art i

Lynette frowned.

really now
this is the best this place has got
so what
you think that i want to be pretty and perfect
that i need to be loved

but it is true is it not
why are you in such a hurry to find vigil and everyone else
why did you disagree with vigils choice to separate everyone
face it
you need others around you
to help you
like the little girl that you are

The two continued to stare off, Lynette clenching her fist. She felt something off about this... thing; it wasn't a normal dark self. It had all the markings of one, idealized self, knows the contents of her heart, and it even speaks with a darker overtone. But even in what Lynette assumed to be its natural habitat, it couldn't hide the truth from her. After all, seeing spirits, regardless of their origin, was what she did.

no
you are not me
you are not made from my heart
or from my soul
you are a copy
a shadow
made from this worlds dip into my mind
and i see you for what you are
which is nothing

The shadow Lynette smiled and began to laugh.

do you really see me for what i am
or just what you want to believe

Lynette stepped forward and formed her baton.

pretty sure

Feeling confident from the abundance of spiritual energy that the room seemed to have, she pointed her baton at it. The shadow did not reply at first, only changing its smile into a scowl as it started to vibrate.

if that is so
THEN I SUPPOSE THERE IS NO POINT IN HIDING IT

As a fighter of ghosts, demons, and all sorts of Bad Things, Lynette had seen a lot of shit. Transformations were one of them, demons in particular loved to shed their human shell in extravagant and showy ways. However, this time it was different. In her haste to deal with the shadow before her and in her joy at the abundant spiritual energy, Lynette forgot that the energy was not aligned with her. It was a result of the shadow room that she was in and though she absorbed it to empower herself, the consequences resulted in quite the opposite.

The shadow room fucked her shit up. The transformation and subsequent true form of the shadow of Lynette felt like the most terrifying thing that the girl had ever seen. It was not really that horrible, she simply perceived it as if it was, and without any perception changing rabbits around, there wasn't anything she could do.

It would have been over for Lynette then and there if it wasn't for a timely gunshot ringing.

The shadow stopped just as it was about to consume Lynette, turning toward the sound of the gunshot and only to be met by a sword that slashed it in half. Lynette looked to see the large, black-cloaked man who had saved her struggle as the shadow reformed. A fire burnt the creature and the swordsman continued his attack.

"Are you okay?"

Lynette snapped away from the fight to a blue haired boy wielding a sword, holding her. Before she could answer, her shadow attacked them both before another boy, this one with two swords, parried the blow.

"Is she okay?"

Trying to hold on to herself, and taking a deep breath, Lynette was able to manage a "Yea,” before standing up once more. The other boy had grey hair in a bowl-shaped haircut, the two of them were wearing identical black uniforms, and each was wearing glasses. At the moment, her shadow was fighting both the swordsman and a robotic humanoid with a harp, casting magic. "Where are we?" She asked the blue-haired one, who was still holding on to her a little.

"There's some argument about that, but consensus says that it is a world of shadows, where they come to life and ensnare you, as you have seen firsthand."

The grey haired one interrupted.
"Hey, I don't think that we can beat this thing on our own, it seems empowered somehow. We need to run."

The blue one nodded, "Let's get out of here."

It was then that Lynette noticed that the room had changed as well. It seemed bigger, and darker, and she couldn't see the ceiling or the walls. As Lynette ran with the two of them beside her, she began to ask more questions, "What are those things?"

The grey one answered the questions while the blue one began to cast spells, hoping to slow the shadow down. "Izanagi and Orpheus, our Personas, manifestations of our personalities, like your shadow, only tamed and able to help rather than destroy. On that note, who are you? How did you get here? I've never seen you before."
"I'm Lynette, I'm not from around here, and I’m not even sure where here is. I just know that I need to get to my friends."
"Well we can help you with that after-"

"Watch out!"

The shadow's claw stretched, ignoring the efforts of the two boys and their Personas. Before the grey haired one could intervene, she stopped and put up a shield, forcing her to be propelled backwards and unknowingly out of the world of shadows.

As Lynette tumbled on to a hard street, previously broken glass on the floor, she struggled to stand, noticing that she seemed to come out of a television that was unplugged, but mysteriously emitting static.

Lynette took a look around, and immediately wished that she didn't. Lynette saw spirits, regardless of her origin. That is what she did. But looking at where she was... she very desperately wished that she couldn't.

She may have escaped the shadow that wanted to kill her, but she was about to face something a lot worse.

She was inside Gomorrah now.

SpoilerShow

Messages In This Thread
Re: DEATHGAME 9000 [S!3] SIGNUPS OPEN - by Elpie - 02-03-2012, 05:11 PM
Re: DEATHGAME 9000 [S!3] SIGNUPS OPEN - by GBCE - 02-03-2012, 07:31 PM
Re: DEATHGAME 9000 [S!3] SIGNUPS OPEN - by GBCE - 02-03-2012, 08:45 PM
Re: DEATHGAME 9000 [S!3] SIGNUPS OPEN - by Gatr - 02-03-2012, 11:47 PM
Re: DEATHGAME 9000 [S!3] SIGNUPS OPEN - by GBCE - 02-04-2012, 12:31 AM
Re: DEATHGAME 9000 [S!3] SIGNUPS OPEN - by GBCE - 02-06-2012, 12:56 AM
Re: DEATHGAME 9000 [S!3] SIGNUPS OPEN - by GBCE - 02-06-2012, 03:29 AM
Re: DEATHGAME 9000 [S!3] SIGNUPS OPEN - by GBCE - 02-06-2012, 09:12 AM
Re: DEATHGAME 9000 [S!3] SIGNUPS OPEN - by GBCE - 02-06-2012, 09:04 PM
Re: DEATHGAME 9000 [S!3] SIGNUPS OPEN - by GBCE - 02-08-2012, 12:07 AM
Re: DEATHGAME 9000 [S!3] SIGNUPS OPEN - by GBCE - 02-08-2012, 01:24 PM
Re: DEATHGAME 9000 [S!3] SIGNUPS OPEN - by GBCE - 02-08-2012, 01:26 PM
Re: DEATHGAME 9000 [S!3] SIGNUPS OPEN - by GBCE - 02-08-2012, 07:21 PM
Re: DEATHGAME 9000 [S!3] SIGNUPS OPEN - by GBCE - 02-09-2012, 08:02 PM
Re: DEATHGAME 9000 [S!3] SIGNUPS OPEN - by GBCE - 04-14-2012, 03:23 PM
Re: DEATHGAME 9000 [S!3] Round One: Gamexus X99 - by Solaris - 05-08-2012, 06:31 PM