Intense Struggle! (Round 7 - The Database)

Intense Struggle! (Round 7 - The Database)
Re: Intense Struggle! (Round 3 - The Wasteland)
Originally posted on MSPA by Ixcalibur.

Aph gazed at Sister Clara, coldly and disinterestedly as she read out the incantation to activate the zone of truth. Speaking of which, in truth Aph had been waiting for a moment when the attention of others had been occupied by some other event so that she could just float off and look for a way to undo her bonds at her leisure. Unfortunately when you are suspected of being a spy people tend to keep a pretty close eye on you. She was especially glad that Clara had kicked B out, aside from the fact that it was one less pair of eyes watching her every movement, she was getting unusually angry at him. His gangly awkwardness, his stupid multicoloured hair, everything about him just annoyed her. Now she only had Clara to worry about, and if she played her cards right in this little question and answer session she would soon be free to go and do whatever the hell she wanted. Sister Clara completed her incantation and the candles around the base of the chair began to glow a brilliant green colour, presumably indicating that the Truth Zone had been activated. Sister Clara plastered that faux-regretful look on her face and began to question her.

"Are you a spy for The Monitor?" Sister Clara asked directly.
"Of course not you twisted old witch." Aph said, a fake cheerful smile plastered across her face.
Clara frowned, taken aback. Not that she had already pre-judged Aph to be the spy, but no matter how she thought about it, she could not make her sudden change make sense any other way. "If you are not the Monitor's spy, then what happened? Why are you like this now?"
"It was that kid." Aph said. "I was lost in the swamp, I was crying like a little girl over Aegis dragging you off right after I asked you to marry me. God I was such a sap back then. Anyway that kid, what's his name again?"
"B." Clara supplied when it was clear that this story would not continue without this information.
"Oh man really?" Aph asked. "What a dumb name. Anyway B came up to me and blew this crazy powder in my face, then he ran off saying it was a gift from The Monitor and laughing to himself. Oh man wait do you think that he could be the spy?"
Clara was stunned. This spell was reliable, she'd regretfully seen it in action before. While it was true that it was possible to lie under it's influence it was not easy to do so, and the lies were always so strained and difficult for the subject to say that it was pretty clear that they were not true. "Aph." she said, apologetically. "I am so sorry. I didn't know. Why couldn't you just tell us?"
"Why the hell would I have wanted to?" Aph asked. "Once I saw what a manipulative old shrew you were I didn't want any more to do with you."
Clara pushed aside Aph's insults. She knew that they were not of her own volition. They were a product of what B had done to her. Part of her was still reeling from that. But it made a kind of sense; he was a shapeshifter after all. "Don't worry Aph." she said. "I will find a way to fix what he did to you." Suddenly the conversation was interrupted by a familiar scream from a nearby corridor. Clara reacted instantly, rushing out of the room, leaving Aph all alone.

Minutes before B was walking the empty corridors looking for Larus. He trudging dejectedly through the hallways, poking his head into an office or two as he did so, but he was distracted, thinking about what had happened in the swamp, trying to peice together the events that had followed into a narrative that made sense. As he was doing this the corridor began to flicker with green energy. Bizarre shapes hung still in the air, they were long and many faceted, and in places they passed over and through other shapes. What they were supposed to be was difficult to discern. B turned his head this way and that way and eventually realised that each shape was an echo of a person. The echo was so bizarre because it was trying to show everything that person had done all at once. Every step they took and every move they made laid out in front of him. As he realized this it began to flicker and fade and when it snapped back it was the same person but shown at only one point in time. It was clear to see what was going on now, he was fleeing from something, his eyes wide with panic, his mouth open mid-scream. B glanced down the corridor to where he was coming from. There he saw another shape, a crackling cloud of electricity. B walked down to the thing in question, it had a woman's face, short hair and half moon glasses perched upon her nose. Suddenly things flickered again and the echoes momentarily vanished and then returned, this time with movement and voices. B jumped back as the electric woman came to life cackling as she fired off bolts of electricity. Further down the corridor he could hear the fleeing scientist screaming; interestingly both of the echoes had Sister Clara's voice, and now that he thought about it the green tinge of the ghosts had resembled that which he had seen on the flames of the candles. Finally coming to his senses B rushed back towards the room Clara had been in. She would want to know about this.

Aph didn't know what the deal with the scream had been, but she was grateful for it's timing, had Clara walked over and attempted to free her from her bonds she might well have noticed that the zone of truth was having no discernible effect. Now that Clara had left the room Aph floated from the chair and righted herself. While she wasn't exactly free from her bonds she was pretty much able to move around as she pleased. The problem being that Larus had taken her blade while he had tied her up, and she wanted that blade back. It had sentimental value. Hopefully while Clara and B were busy trying to figure out the riddle of who was the spy and why, she would be able to get Larus, get her blade back and she'd see where she went from there.

Show Content

Messages In This Thread
Re: Intense Struggle! - by GBCE - 12-27-2009, 05:27 PM
Re: Intense Struggle! - by Dragon Fogel - 12-27-2009, 05:30 PM
Re: Intense Struggle! (Round 3 - The Wasteland) - by Ixcaliber - 07-12-2010, 11:47 AM