The Grand Battle S2G1! [Round Six: Eddelin City]

The Grand Battle S2G1! [Round Six: Eddelin City]
Re: The Grand Battle S2G1! [Round Two: Sk'va!]
Originally posted on MSPA by Lord Paradise.

MEANWHILE

Our heroine, in a mystically addled state, finds herself dreaming a memory of her past. That dreams don’t actually work this way except to provide exposition in movies, we shall ignore or else nebulously attribute to maaaaaaaaagiiiiiiiiiiic.

Jen woke up between the purple sheets in her pink room in her white house on a gray road on a blue planet. She opened her brown eyes and saw white cobblestones and then closed her brown eyes and opened her brown eyes and saw the purple sheets and the pink wallpaper and then she was putting on her blue shoes and then eating brown cereal and then taking her black backpack on a yellow bus to her red school. Her desk was gray with little purple speckles and the more she watched the speckles they started to spin around in tiny little orbits like the stars and then a bell rang and Jen was fully awake.

In walked Carl wearing a grey t-shirt and black shorts and those little brown glasses that always looked too small for his face. He’d had a haircut and it looked awful and Jen commented on this and Carl didn’t make much of a response. Carl, who was much too smart for his own good, had spent much of elementary school acting like an adult and now moving into young adulthood seemed unmotivated to stop acting like a child. He settled down in his seat with all the entitlement of a newborn baby who thought he was a lawyer and then looked around nervously like a lawyer who was trying to hide the fact that he was secretly a newborn baby. The young Jen was, of course, in love with him, though she couldn’t tell you why if you were perceptive enough to ask her.

In walked Rodney and Abe and they struck up a conversation with Carlyle about Star Wars or something to that effect and Jen got that feeling that she gets that usually goes away when she draws a picture of a tortoise with a handlebar mustache and she drew a picture of a tortoise with a handlebar mustache and in walked Kara.

In walked Kara on green boots and in came Kara’s prematurely developed boobs all there under her green blouse and she’d had a haircut and it looked beautiful and had a stripe running through it that was green. She was Jen’s best friend and Jen hated her and if you were perceptive enough to ask you why she could tell you but she wouldn’t. She definitely wouldn’t tell anyone that she was green with envy, not least because nobody actually says that anymore.

Jen reached up and touched her hair and the part with the green stripe burned her a little and someone told her to rest so she did and Jen reached up and pulled her hair so she wouldn’t end up feeling that feeling that she gets that usually goes away when she stabs her pencil through the handlebar mustache of the tortoise she just drew. About a month ago Kara had seen Jen drawing a tortoise with a handlebar mustache so she drew a tortoise with a handlebar mustache without even looking at it and she saw Jen looking down at her drawing and she apologized and ripped it in half and told Jen that she wasn’t even thinking and Jen told her it was fine. The drawing had been perfect, of course.

In walked Kara and she said hey to Jen and also said hey to Carl and tousled Carl’s hair in that familiar way and for about a third of a second Carl made a face like he was on fire and then he smiled. Carl rarely smiled. Jen smiled too, anticipating that something would be worth smiling about later.

That was the day, thought Jen as she began to phase out of the greenshift, when Kara gave her that beaten-up copy of Carrie and Jen read it and dreamt about burning the whole town down, and figured that Kara would get to do that first as well.

The green was still slowing things down. Jen lifted herself out of Arkal’s grasp and sprang away without any real need to fall down, and Arkal noticed only in the course of seconds, swiveling his head beard-first in her direction.

“I’m sorry about that,” said Jen at what seemed to her to be a normal speed. “The farther away from… I didn’t think the side effects of the spell I cast would be that strong. I’m okay now but neither of us will be able to walk here much longer.”

Arkal

nodded.

“Greenshifting was the first magic I learned. It lets me get outside of anywhere.” Kara laughed dryly. “I was a whiny little kid.”

Arkal

laughed also. His laugh was more genuine than hers.

”You are a whiny little kid,”

he said.

”Lead me astray, lass, and I’ll forge a piss-pot out of your skull.”

”Its like the priest said. They have a life support system in place so we can shoot the cities into space or inside the Ovoid or whatever. All their infrastructure seems to be based on faith—just look at these buildings—so it should be a matter of believing that we’re already—yeah, see?” She pointed to the building they were already at. “Now we just believe that there’s a button inside that’ll stop the quakes and turn on air and fix everything in both cities until they crash and we all die.”

Arkal

Got around to telling Jen that there was an engine in Sk’Va designed to shoot the city into space.
“Oh, well then,” said Jen impatiently. “We’ll have to hope for Maxwell or Kracht to solve that part of the issue. In the meantime let’s do our bit. Do you believe in solutions?”

”After these last few days,”

groaned Arkal,

”I think I’m beginning to convert to the church of insurmountable problems.”

Jen grimaced. “Well then, whatever’s through this door is your fault. You ready?”

”Born ready.” Arkal

pushed open

the door

and it seemed

to Jen

very

slow

Messages In This Thread
Re: The Grand Battle S2G1! [Round Two: Sk'va!] - by Elpie - 10-03-2010, 02:41 AM