Man and Machine (TWS)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Man and Machine (TWS)
Re: Man and Machine (TWS)
Dragon Fogel Wrote:"How long have you known Dirk?"

"Almost two years, now... We met when I went in to have some maintenance on my hand." She lifts her right hand, which was obscured by her body. You hadn't noticed that it was artificial before, mostly because its external casing is flesh-toned. She lets her hand drop.

"We hit it off, I guess. I kept going back to him whenever I needed a tune-up. One day, he just asked me out, out of the blue. I said yes." She begins to sniffle a bit. You push on, hoping to head off a fresh outburst of tears.

Dragon Fogel Wrote:"Did he have any enemies you knew about?"

"Enemies? Not really, I mean, not anyone who knows... knew him personally. Those freaky Bioticist people started to stage protests outside the clinic where he worked every once in a while... You don't think that one of them..."

Hmm. Bioticism is a new movement that's been gaining momentum over the last year or so. Basically, it boils down to the belief that the use of implants and prosthetics is unnatural and abominable, for different reasons depending on who you talk to, ranging from religious answers to ones that boil down to, "because it's weird." There are even some extremists who are against modern medicine in a more general sense, refusing vaccines and medications. They tend to be an unruly bunch, too. You make a note to look into it.

Dragon Fogel Wrote:"What about other close friends?"

"Not really... I mean, he was friendly with the some other people who worked at the clinic with him, but I don't think they were really friend friends. And there was a guy he used to hang out with in the Simulacrum... I don't know his real name, but his Sim name was King. Which I thought was kind of weird, just King. Most people have like, numbers and stuff after their name..."

You ask how Dirk knew King.

"They were roommates in college, I guess. I think Dirk said he was a programming major?"

"Had Dirk and King had any arguments that you know of? Disagreements?"

"Not that Dirk mentioned."

You ask about the clinic where Dirk worked, before you both forget what you were talking about.

"Oh, right... It's the Bol Munroe Cybernetics Clinic, North Central sector, right off of Fifty Seventh Airway, level 25. You can't miss the building. It'll be the one whose walkway is clogged by assholes with signs."

Dragon Fogel Wrote:"Has he done anything lately that you found unusual?"

"No, not really. I mean, he was excited about our vacation. We both were... It was our first one as a couple, and it was going to be my first time out of the city. We were going to Italy. Pretty romantic, huh?"

You wisely decide to interpret that as a rhetorical question, and get back to the subject at hand. "So you wouldn't say he was acting distracted, or nervous, maybe?"

She shakes her head.

btp Wrote:"Can you tell me what happened, up to the accident?"

"Nothing, major, really. We checked our luggage, got scanned, had one of those sticky bun things they sell in the food court, and then went to wait in... well, you know. Although some guy did run right into us."

Your ears perk up.

"Knocked Dirk flat on his butt. I probly would have punched him in his stupid nose, but Dirk just laughed it off. He was like that... Anyway, the guy helped him up and said sorry, and that was it."

Evan pipes up from his place by the door. "What did the man look like?"

"Huh? I don't know... kind of tall? And he was pretty tan. Dark hair, I guess? And a stupid beaky nose, like I said."

You narrow your eyes and pull back your sleeve, revealing your watch. You pull up a picture of the man from the surveillance footage.

"Was this the man you're talking about?"

"Yeah. That's him. Why are you so... do you think he had something to do with... what happened?"

You glance at Evan, who simply quirks an eyebrow.

"We're just following any leads we can, Miss Whitaker. We still haven't ruled out that this might be just a horrible accident." Best to be noncommittal in these situations.

She nods and slumps down a bit.

"That said, have you ever seen this man before today?"

She takes a deep breath and stares up at the ceiling for a moment.

"No. I'm pretty sure that I've never seen him. I think I'd remember him."

The nurse from earlier walks in, and smiles apologetically at you.
"Hello again, detectives. I'm very sorry, but the doctor says that Miss Whitaker needs to rest, now. Today has been very stressful for her."

"Of course." It's probably best not to ruffle any feathers, in case you need to come back for anything.

The nurse moves over to Marie, straightening her sheets slightly. She then adds something to Marie's IV.

"There you go, Miss. That should help you sleep for a bit. Before you nod off, would you like to subscribe to the Our Lady rewards program? For every night you spend with us, you earn points which can be spent on--"

"No thank you."

"But it's really very--"

"No."

It's pretty impressive how forceful she can be without raising her voice at all.
If you have anything else to ask, you might be able to fit in one more before you go. You also need to figure out what you'll do next.

Possible leads to follow up on:

Netcom found in Victim's Luggage, (Saved to your pocket.)

Review the victim's recent activities for any sign of unusual behavior or spending.

The lab techs at HQ will perform a more in-depth autopsy and scan of the body. Maybe they'll turn up some new material for you.

The lab techs at HQ will perform a more thorough check of the luggage belonging to the Victim and Whitaker. Maybe they'll turn up some new material for you.

Check with the lab techs to see if any info can be extracted from the voice box.

Track down the unknown suspect from the surveillance footage.

Speak to someone knowledgeable about cybernetics.

Possible Witnesses/Suspects to interview:

Marie Whitaker (Witness, Victim's Girlfriend), currently in West Central franchise of Our Lady. Unknown if she'll have any more useful information.

Doctor Chase (Suspect), Inquire about him at South Sector franchise of Our Lady.

King (Real name unknown, Suspect), Must find real location by cross-referencing with Simulacrum address (or you could just log on and talk to him, you guess).

Unknown Suspect (Suspect), Location and identity unknown. HQ is working on finding out his identity.

Bitoticist Protestors, Probably protesting outside of Bol Munroe Cybernetics Clinic in North Central

Victim's Coworkers, At Bol Munroe Cybernetics Clinic in North Central

SpoilerShow
[Image: j5xngn.jpg]

Messages In This Thread
Man and Machine (TWS) - by GreyGabe - 12-01-2011, 06:00 AM
RE: Man and Machine (TWS) - by GreyGabe - 12-29-2011, 03:03 AM
RE: Man and Machine (TWS) - by Gnauga - 12-29-2011, 04:17 AM
RE: Man and Machine (TWS) - by Dragon Fogel - 12-29-2011, 05:08 AM
RE: Man and Machine (TWS) - by btp - 12-31-2011, 10:24 AM
RE: Man and Machine (TWS) - by GreyGabe - 01-22-2012, 05:26 AM
RE: Man and Machine (TWS) - by btp - 01-24-2012, 05:26 PM
Re: Man and Machine (TWS) - by Dragon Fogel - 12-01-2011, 06:06 AM