We chat about videogames and videogame accessories.

Poll: Videogames or videogame accesories?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
vidgajames
85.53%
65 85.53%
accesories
14.47%
11 14.47%
Total 76 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

We chat about videogames and videogame accessories.
RE: We chat about videogames and videogame accessories.
(04-10-2013, 03:19 AM)Wheat Wrote: »One way would be to encourage people to make and sell games for free, and spread awareness (especially among people who aren't online) about how there's an active community of free stuff that people can turn to if they're sick of the traditional gaming market. One could ask for donations from those who can give and are thankful--but not beforehand, though; that's not a donation but investment and still relies on the marketability of an idea before the implementation has shown whether the idea has merit. Tindeck is one such free platform for music; it also allows people to set up money and whatnot.

Maybe, if there ever happens to be a platform with a big enough consumer base (or, donator base?) that could actually support the people making the game. But the thing is that the sort of games that would seriously be able to draw money away from huge companies (as in, not the kind of shit you'd see on Newgrounds) all require a pretty substantial investment of both time and money. If a person or company can seriously manage to draw up enough attention to their game that they can really afford to release a project that represents several months or years of their life FOR FREE, than that's great. But for the vast majority of developers, that doesn't sound even remotely feasible.

It seems to me that a better solution, at least on an individual level, would be for people to quit buying games on the very day they come out all the time. Maybe just wait a couple days for some decent reviews to come out, or wait a few months and buy it for 75% off on Steam instead. Don't blindly throw money at a company if it turns out they're just releasing more creatively bankrupt garbage.

I know more than a few people who complained about problematic issues in the upcoming Bioshock Infinite game for months, and then went ahead and bought it on the very first week it came out anyway. And that huge Simcity fiasco wasn't even an issue for everyone who decided against paying Sixty US Cash Dollars for a game that hadn't even been released yet. (And an EA game at that.)

For the indie studios/gamemakers, I guess the solution here would have to be "Make better games than the Triple A companies", but I guess that's a lot easier said than done.

Messages In This Thread