Generative AI - Policy Discussion

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Generative AI - Policy Discussion
RE: Generative AI - Policy Discussion
Looking through the discussion, there seems to be some general consensus on things, and a few unresolved questions.

Consensus:
  • AI generated content should be restricted on the forum either outright or in a regulated fashion.
  • As a community, we strongly prefer content created without the use of Generative AI.

There seems to be a mixed opinion on what would constitute allowable use.

(BTW, I'm not including my own opinions (expressed as btp or my non-admin-alt-account) in this summary - more on that in a bit)

Some users are uncomfortable with Generative AI content in any form considering
  • the datasets used to create the most effective models are developed without the consent of the creators of that content.
  • allowing the use of Generative AI on the forum contributes to this ongoing problem
  • As such, its use inherently infringes on the rights of the original creators.

Others feel that, while the collection of these datasets are an ethical problem, the use of Generative AI tools are acceptable in circumstances where its use is clearly not infringing or harming human content creators such as
  • in circumstances where the final product is sufficiently transformative
  • where the work is presented for academic or parody based purposes
  • where such a work would not otherwise compete with human creators

Personally, I am trying to be very careful with what I say in this regard because it only recently came to my attention that my feelings on this are different from a lot of other folks on the forum. I am the person that's been the most open about using and posting works of generative AI, both here and on discord. I want to be really clear that my current role in getting the forum back up is to do what the community wants, and while most of the time what that entails is pretty intuitive, this has definitely been a blind spot for me.

Anyway, since I currently have access to the buttons that make this stuff go, it's important to me that I make a clear distinction between what I say as the button presser and what I say as just some random guy. With that in mind, unless there is significant objection, I'll probably continue to use Qaxoasax when I feel drawn to say something more confrontational in this context.

Full disclosure: I do pay regularly for access to OpenAI services like GPT and DALLE, and I use those services extensively in my development projects, including those here at Eagle-Time. Resources like GitHub Co-Pilot were created in ways very similar to those used to develop AI Image generators and some of the same ethical concerns may still hold.

SpoilerShow

Messages In This Thread
Generative AI - Policy Discussion - by btp - 11-11-2023, 04:46 PM
RE: Generative AI - Policy Discussion - by btp - 11-11-2023, 09:17 PM
RE: Generative AI - Policy Discussion - by CSJ - 11-12-2023, 06:28 AM
RE: Generative AI - Policy Discussion - by CSJ - 11-12-2023, 06:44 AM
RE: Generative AI - Policy Discussion - by btp - 11-13-2023, 09:59 PM
RE: Generative AI - Policy Discussion - by btp - 11-14-2023, 12:39 AM