Feedback/Suggestions/Bugs

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Feedback/Suggestions/Bugs
RE: Feedback/Suggestions/Bugs
(11-03-2023, 10:09 PM)MUNCHMOLAR Wrote: »I recommend using a file host that isn't imgur for forum image uploads. Recently, they changed their terms of service to disallow third-party hosting - outside of business partners like reddit, I think? Personally I'm using filegarden, which was created by the same person who maintains MSPFA in the interest of acting as free third-party hosting. There's not really an easy solution for this that I can think of, though.

Yeah, filegarden rules, but not so much as a collective hosting solution. The ideal solution would be local hosting on the forum server or a dedicated cloud storage account. Personally, I really like discourse's solution where all embedded images are downloaded to local storage to preserve forum content.

However, this isn't native mybb behavior and no existing plugins support this. I could have made a custom plugin for this, but that would have continued to delay reopening the forum, so I instead set up a forum imgur account with their anonymous api to use alongside an existing plugin.

Since we have a functional solution at the moment, I'm not in a huge rush to update it. True local image hosting is kind of an eagle-time stretch goal, I'd like to have it, but because I suspect it would take a good day or two to make, it's a lower priority among my other development projects. I am open to taking it on as a commission project if people are interested.

(11-03-2023, 10:09 PM)MUNCHMOLAR Wrote: »Additionally, I would quite appreciate it if pressing newline/enter while the message screen is not focused did not automatically send your post. I nearly posted my forum adventure early, and was only saved by the lack of a subject line. This is especially frustrating because shift-enter works but causes all kinds of formatting bugs if you copy-paste from an external document.

EDIT: the early post thing seems to only happen if you've focused the subject line outside of the "create new post" feature, but it's still anxiety-inducing.

Now this I can do...

...Okay the forum now asks for a confirmation whenever submitting a new post or thread, which should prevent any accidental posting. Lemme know if this is too annoying a change and I can try to fine tune it later. (Woops, it also does it for previewing a post...brb...okay now it is good).

EDIT: I went through and read imgur's TOS a little more closely. I think we are in the clear because we're not using imgur for logos, icons or banners or avatars. Everything uploaded is done so anonymously, i.e. not attached to an account. (Like, images you upload are not attached to a forum imgur account.) Nor are they uploaded for commercial use. However, I am not a lawyer, and the truth is imgur could delete any images uploaded to it at any time for any reason.

Something to note is that because these are uploaded anonymously, there's no way to delete the images once they are uploaded. I will add that in the feature notes.

Messages In This Thread
Feedback/Suggestions/Bugs - by btp - 10-30-2023, 10:17 PM
RE: Feedback/Suggestions/Bugs - by Kaynato - 11-02-2023, 01:43 AM
RE: Feedback/Suggestions/Bugs - by Jacquerel - 11-02-2023, 01:46 AM
RE: Feedback/Suggestions/Bugs - by btp - 11-02-2023, 05:32 AM
RE: Feedback/Suggestions/Bugs - by Schazer - 11-02-2023, 03:10 PM
RE: Feedback/Suggestions/Bugs - by Jacquerel - 11-04-2023, 05:38 PM
RE: Feedback/Suggestions/Bugs - by MUNCHMOLAR - 11-03-2023, 10:09 PM
RE: Feedback/Suggestions/Bugs - by btp - 11-04-2023, 04:17 AM
RE: Feedback/Suggestions/Bugs - by Schazer - 11-05-2023, 12:00 AM
RE: Feedback/Suggestions/Bugs - by Jacquerel - 11-05-2023, 04:26 PM
RE: Feedback/Suggestions/Bugs - by Cauchemar - 11-11-2023, 03:16 AM