Death, Taxes, and Cookies: to Rule an Underworld - INTERMISSION 2 END

[Image: MLx6zjt.png]

Death.

[Image: KUvrrxz.png]

There's nothing so invisible, nothing as swift and sudden, as death.

So many treat it as a ghost; a specter, from far away. Doom in the far-flung hills, in the far-above clouds, in the secret places beneath the earth. Always far away, yet watching.

[Image: hNsh3IU.png]

Not here. Not now.

Never here. Never, ever here. And yet ...

[Image: csG20pB.png]
[Image: 73KPgOE.png]
[Image: YoHwgdn.png]

My name is Colin Wardenclyffe Cowden.

Somehow, someway, I have died.

[Image: mRfjyK3.png]
[Image: d6xHqco.png]

I don't know how, I don't know why.

I don't remember the event of my demise. I don't remember anything about today - when I try to remember, my mind comes up short...

But somehow, I *know* that I have died. The same way you simply know when you're hot or cold... the same way you simply know when you're sad or angry.

I'm dead. I know this to be true... It is just so. I can't explain it.

[Image: 9mp8GhE.png]

[Image: U0rW7ht.png]This is probably going to make it harder to start that bakery.

[Image: cSJP1ts.png]

I don't know what's happened, but I like to think of myself as a smart kid. So I know that I should gather information before doing anything else. I look around myself and find that I'm in a cave, probably somewhere underground. There doesn't seem to be anything else here with me, nor any obvious entrances or exits.

[Image: hOIiukZ.png] Dead people probably don't have to care about walls, when entering or exiting somewhere.

[Image: U0rW7ht.png] That's one perk of this, I guess. One pro.

I blink on reflex. Despite being in what I assume to be a cavern in the ground, a bubble in the world mantle, I can see just fine. As if the cave is illuminated... no, not illuminated. As if darkness itself simply could not get any darker than "vaguely dim" in this place. Weird...

[Image: DFOfPMU.png]

Speaking of weird - I wasn't wearing these when I died. Well, I don't think I was. I don't own these, and I hope I didn't shuffle off the mortal coil in something this ostentatious.

[Image: 25MdnSd.png] Maybe this outfit is the key to figuring out this whole  situation... ?

[Image: d8AHj4J.png]
[Image: 1No6LXZ.png]
[Image: qAtzDik.png]
[Image: MAqhGKz.png]

[Image: U0rW7ht.png] Maybe not.

[Image: 3XncmXO.png]

So that's the situation I'm in. I'm dead - I know this to be true, as naturally and as casually as one would know that they were alive. But I don't remember how that happened, and I don't know where I am, why I was brought here - or what to do next. I shiver a little. The cave feels cold, but, strangely, it doesn't feel wrong to be so, either - like it'd be more weird or uncomfortable if it was warm here instead. It's silent in this place, without even my heartbeat to give a sense of sound - or of time.

I'll need to decide on what I want to do now, I think. Don't have any reason to wait until later - I don't feel sleepy, so napping's a bit of a no-go.

[ ] Ruminate. I can't remember the events of my death, but maybe I can remember something else that could  give a clue to this situation. It doesn't feel like it's been a long time since I was... well, alive.
[ ] Explore. I gave this weird little cave a once-over, but maybe a closer inspection of the various surfaces will reveal something helpful - like a trapdoor. Or a message. Or a sugar cookie. (The latter would helpful in its' own way.)
[ ] Experiment. I have this.. skull wand thing. I know wizards use something like this to cast spells, but I'm no wizard, and I don't recall hearing about ghosts doing the same. Maybe I should give it a few swings.
[ ] Something creative.
- [ ] Write here what you wish to try!
at
carrot cake

Messages In This Thread
Death, Taxes, and Cookies: to Rule an Underworld - INTERMISSION 2 END - by mintyfreshdepression - 09-01-2019, 10:29 PM