Letters from a Strange Box

Letters from a Strange Box
RE: Letters from a Strange Box
You realize that like any decent person you should answer the phone, and manage to grab it just before what you might assume would be it's last ring.

"Wow, look who's up on time?"

"Sara, I'm sorry about last week but I can make it this time! I just have this... weird package situation to sort out."

"Oh yeah, please refrain from telling me about your weird package," She snickers "anyway, I'll be on the corner of Veldune and Hatherway, so meet me there. Don't be late!"

You say your goodbyes and see you soons, before you turn around to see the box staring intently at you, with non-existent eyes. You don't know how you know that it is, but it most definitely is staring at you. Or rather, through you, at the phone. Hm.

Anyway, you decide enough is enough and you sit back down to take a look at the latest scroll. Interestingly enough, this scroll's seal is a slightly different shade of beige, although you're not sure how you know that.

Opening it, the message once again plays in real-time, still to your amazement;

Hello once more, Nikalov!

Wait. Hang on.

Hello once more, Nikalov!
I am writing you as I believe my last box reached the wrong person! What a fool I am, I must have gotten something wrong when inscribing the runes. I have made the necessary corrections, however, and there is no chance it could be wrong now!

Now that I am sure that you are the one reading this, or are at least a relative of Nikalov's after his possible recent death (if so, my condolences), I can say in confidence that... I have forgotten the code for the safe at the Aerstride hilltop. I know we discussed how important it is that we never discuss this again but I dearly need you to confirm that the code is 4-7-2-5, as I would rather not risk life and limb to get up there to simply be wrong all this time. If you are Nikalov's relative, I am dearly sorry but I may have to kill you as per mine and Nikalov's contract.

That is the price of wizardry, though, is it not? At any rate, I have discovered some artifacts of particularly magical portent that were of no use to my studies, and thought you could use some souvenirs while you were away from home. Within the box you shall find (press the 3rd rune, if you've forgotten) an enchanted necklace of stone beads which I cannot discern the use of, and a wooden spoon which, when split in two, will turn into two smaller wooden spoons. They can even reform if you press them together very hard. How useful! I have not named either yet, so you may send some names in your reply, if you think of some.

I have not encountered any particularly dangerous magical beasts that I have not already sent (I lost my sketch of it, damn box) and have been spending most of my time either digging around in the dirt or sitting at the Bosom. Did you know the dirt here smells quite fragrant? It makes archaeology far more palatable. Oh, please do let me know of any particularly interesting locations, as you are far more experienced in this place than I am, and I would love to do more exploration. This dirt smells very good.

I hope you write to me as soon as possible, friend, and if not you your family, so I may learn of their location and kill them as per your request.

Many blessings,
Your most truest friend,
Fatebond partner and fellow Wheelmonger,
Willing cohort in parricide,

~Runicio

Well, fuck. This is not great for you.

Anyway, you chuck the scroll onto your table and head down the street towards Veldune and Hatherway. It only takes you a few minutes, and then you are there, where Sara stands in waiting. Her jeans and denim jacket are a look that she pulls off with some skill, her t-shirt depicting the name of the game you are here to go and play, "Trungeon Rock". She flips you a smug look, which you can only tell by her mouth as her eyes are covered by some cool-looking shades. Her buzz-cut is covered by a yellow cap, which you see the back of as she starts heading down the street.

You hurry to catch up to her, chatting all the way to the game, and afterwards too. The game goes well but you had to spend most of the session catching your troll drummer up. Sara walks you home, and you share a pleasant goodbye as you can tell the tension from last week and prior has eased. The box is waiting for you at the front door.

You head back to your table, pressing the middle rune on the side with 3 runes, and it opens up a larger hatch, from which you grab a wooden spoon and necklace of stone beads. Huh.

You decide to keep them somewhere safe, as you're not sure that you're ready to toy with that kind of power yet.

You should get onto that reply, though.
i'm a rad teen, confirmed good dog, and i try to do things sometimes.
SpoilerShow

Messages In This Thread
Letters from a Strange Box - by sprïly - 08-31-2018, 08:29 AM
RE: Letters from a Strange Box - by Lordlyhour - 08-31-2018, 08:49 AM
RE: Letters from a Strange Box - by a52 - 09-01-2018, 05:45 AM
RE: Letters from a Strange Box - by tronn - 09-01-2018, 06:28 AM
RE: Letters from a Strange Box - by FlanDab - 09-01-2018, 08:53 AM
RE: Letters from a Strange Box - by sprïly - 09-02-2018, 07:55 AM
RE: Letters from a Strange Box - by Schazer - 09-02-2018, 09:07 AM
RE: Letters from a Strange Box - by FlanDab - 09-02-2018, 09:48 AM
RE: Letters from a Strange Box - by sprïly - 09-03-2018, 09:29 AM
RE: Letters from a Strange Box - by MarbleMoth - 09-03-2018, 10:36 AM