Powerfriends Justiceforce Unlimited Forever

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Powerfriends Justiceforce Unlimited Forever
RE: Powerfriends Justiceforce Unlimited Forever
Same old song and dance. I've been in here before. The woman is the vice-principal. She doesn't talk much. Anyway, this is more of a waste of my time than the class was. I wish everyone would just recognize how smart I am so I don't have to keep proving it to people. Sure, rhyming couplets.

"I approach the throne for institutionalized atonement.
My sin, being simply caught in the moment.
Lost sleep and pained head did inflame my temper,
but, in all due fairness, I did remember
the facts and dates I was requested!
If things were different and I had rested,
I might not sit here and state so boldly the fact
the teacher's apple's too hard, Newton's mind cracked.
I might also hold my tongue now, were I not irate,
at an educational institution that doesn't educate,
or at the values it seems to espouse instead:
discard full mind and bow empty head.
But here we are because of insomnia's bad timing,
feigning remorse sounded boring, so I did it in rhyming."

I maintain the facade of utmost boredom for my quick-thinking poetic recitation, though I have to admit that was kind of fun! In fact, the principal looks like he's smiling, and the vice principal just clearly tried to disguise a giggle as a cough.

The principal folds his hands and leans over the desk thoughtfully. "Very clever, Mr. Leonard. You weren't so loquacious last time, though it may have done you more good than you might expect." He's right, I was more nervous last time I was here, because I didn't know what was going to happen. Plus, his voice is unexpectedly deep and intimidating. I didn't say much besides yes. The principal rifles through some papers in his desk and draws out a manila folder. "While I resent the implication that I run an institution that cares more about obedience than knowledge, I have a certain sympathy for your position. My standard response to the unruly children that I usually see in my office for disciplinary matters goes something like this." He clears his throat and waves his hand with a theatrical flourish. "My child, school doesn't just make you ready for the real world outside by teaching you facts, it also teaches you respect. Respect for your betters is important if you want to get anything done, even as an adult. Why, I may seem like a man in charge to you, but I still have to answer to a man called a 'superintendent' and a group of people called a 'school board'. They are my bosses, and if I didn't respect them, then I wouldn't have a job." He flings his hand aside as if wiping away all the words he just said. "Or something like that. I'd follow it up by giving you a detention or calling your parents or some similar measure. If I did that, what would you think?"

I'm a little taken aback. What's he getting at? I'm not familiar with this song and dance after all. I might as well be honest. "I would think that I should pretend to be repentant in the hopes of removing the punishment."

"Which I've seen before a thousand times. When that fails?"

"Then I guess I would accept the punishment, brace myself to weather it, and then keep doing what I was doing."

"And would that teach you anything about respect?" Shake head negative. Principal stands. "No, it wouldn't. Whether some people want to admit it or not, there are two kinds of respect in this world. There's respect you're granted by some authority, like what Ms. Newton has. Then there's respect you earn by proving that you're worth something. By proving you have Power. The first kind is a purely societal construct. If society falls, it means nothing. The second kind is more meaningful, more lasting, harder to break. I'm going to guess you earned some of this from your fellow students with your stunt today. And, as much as this may be at odds with my duties as a school administrator, trying to wield solely the first type to deny you your right to the second doesn't sit well with me. If I want you to respect your betters, I should make sure to present them to you first. To that end, I'm offering you membership in...let's call it 'Classes for the Gifted'. You'd be working with other youths around the world. They might not all qualify for their intellect, like you, but all have Power, and are learning how to use it more aptly. Consider joining, and let me know what you think by tomorrow when you've had some sleep and dealt with whatever urgent matters may have gotten you so tired in the first place." What is this look he's giving me? "By the by, Ms. Nocturne, did we ever issue the memo to the janitorial staff to remember to lock the computer lab by the library?"

"Oh, slipped my mind sir."

"See that you take care of it. Wouldn't want any unauthorized students getting in there today, would we? Your hall pass, Mr. Leonard."
[Image: 1qoift.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Powerfriends Justiceforce Unlimited Forever - by Elize - 03-15-2013, 09:00 AM