A Cordial Invitation

A Cordial Invitation
RE: A Cordial Invitation
You and Writ stuff more candy in your faces. It's really, really good. Better than the one candy story down the street! You wonder how Dish made this.

"Alright, alright, cut it out before you two eat the entire thing," Dish says behind you.

You pout, but do as they asked. Writ seems more reluctant. You see them sneakily pocket some for later, all while mumbling something under their breath.

"They do have a point, I suppose." Writ sighs. "Too much candy... is no good."

"Are you both going to do what Acane asked?" Dish looks at both of you. "Noot, you're not exactly obliged to, but I feel as if Writ will be hassled if they don't at least try."

Writ sighs, fumbling with their jacket. "I suppose... I'll be, er, heading to the library for some research, then."

"You're looking for what the queen wanted, right?" You ask, tilting your head.

"Writ did tell you then." Dish sighed, waving the spoon they're holding around. "It's rather silly, actually; we're probably not going to know until she tells us. But Acane is convincing."

You burst out, "I know!"

"Have you met them?" Writ looks at you quizzically.

"No, I mean, I know what she wants!" You grin. "The guard told me. She wants us to find a ghost or something."

The two nobles in front of you exchange looks.

"What?" You frown, putting a hand on your waist. "That is what she said!"

Writ fidgets, holding their hands together. "It's not that we don't think you could be correct, Noot, but, er..."

"Ghosts aren't real," Dish says with a sigh. "People's souls just become pure energy and surround us. That... is what happens, right, Writ?"

"Correct," They mumble. "It's just not plausible at all. Whatever the queen wants can't be that."

You huff. "But the guard was definitely telling the truth!"

"But did she give any details at all?" Dish frowns. "If that is what the queen think she wants, she's probably searching for something else."

"No, but-"

"Then we're still better off searching for her diary or waiting for her." They tell you. "We can't confirm if the guard is trustworthy either."

You sigh. It seems that both of these nobles are rather stubborn, or are too well educated to believe you.

You unfurl your bedsheet, wrap it around you and sulk in it.

Writ tilts their head. "Have you been holding that the entire time?"

You nod and hug it closer to you. "No guards, so no one can tell me what to do."

Dish shakes their head. "Noot, there's no need to pout. We can see if you're wrong or right later. Just go and wait for now."

Right as they finish saying that, you see the light flicker. Writ looks at you and Dish nervously, quietly edging towards you for comfort. Dish's grip on their spoon tightens.

You hear footsteps coming towards all three of you. The sound echoes throughout the room. You can barely hear any of your companions breathe.

"Well, well. This is where the intruders are." The voice chuckles. "Pesky rats."

A chill runs down your spine. You feel someone's eyes on you.

The footsteps stop. The sound of a large crackle rings in your ears. "You. You saw me, didn't you?"

Fate has rolled a 10 on a 20-sided die.

You feel something pierce your shoulder. It stings, and the pain reminds you of when you stub your toe on something. Except now it's your shoulder and oh gods the pain is so much worse. Whatever hit you is making your shoulder feel really really warm, over the top warm, and it stings and you think you need a doctor.

You swear under your breath in pain. Writ trembles as they look at you. Dish glares at the direction the voice is coming from.

"We were invited," Dish yells out. "And this isn't your home whatsoever! It's the Queen's!"

The voice giggles. You can see a silhouette approach, though you can't exactly see who it looks like. "Funny. It was never her home to give."

"Who-" Writ's voice is quiet and faint. "Who are you?"

Then you hear a name that's absolutely unintelligible.

"Come again?" You mumble under your breath. "Sorry, I can't speak idiot."

The silhouette raises their arm and makes a fist. Suddenly the pain in your shoulder worsens.

"Don't bother trying to remember what I looked like." The footsteps recede, but you hear their laughter clear as day. "Wouldn't want to have this happen again, now would we?"

The three of you are quiet. The lights stop flickering. You groan even louder- in pain, and in frustration.

Dish frowns and stares at the place where the silhouette stood. "What was the use of threatening us? And how did they get into the castle anyways? The guards should have stopped someone like that the moment they saw them."

"Er, Dish?" Writ raises a finger, though their voice is still soft.

Dish continues talking like Writ hasn't spoken at all. "And for that matter, why didn't they just kill Noot? It sounds more effective than whatever they did."

"Do you want me to die," you murmur, slowly lying down on the floor.

"And what did they mean by the Queen not owning the castle?" They put a hand on their chin and sit beside you. I'm pretty sure everyone says she built it, didn't she?"

Writ sighs. "Dish?"

"Yes, Writ?"

"Noot is, uh," They gesture to you currently lying down on the floor and clutching your shoulder.

Dish's eyes widened. "Oh."

"Yeah." Writ nods. "Please help them?"

"The gods have forsaken me," you whimper. "Only death can help me now."

"Do you know any healing spells?" Dish looks at Writ, who's taken out a small notebook from their jacket.

"I'm more of a shielding person," Writ mumbles, shaking their head. "Does... food help?"

"I'm not a medic, but I can't make food that heals that kind of pain." Dish sighs.

Both of them exchange looks. They're both not sure what to do. The pain you're experiencing is internal- so you can't exactly bandage it up. It's more of a big bruise. The problem is it was caused by magic- and you're not sure what kind. The pain spread, or it could just be contained to your shoulder. It's also kind of hot, like you just touched magma there.

It's worth noting that, despite the pain, it didn't hit your leg. You're still perfectly capable of walking around if you need to find someone, check if there's actually a doctor here, or are looking for information. You can go off alone, or ask one of them to come with you.

Messages In This Thread
A Cordial Invitation - by wiltingMyosotis - 03-18-2018, 07:47 AM
RE: A Cordial Invitation - by LammarWesley - 03-18-2018, 07:58 AM
RE: A Cordial Invitation - by LoverIan - 03-18-2018, 03:53 PM
RE: A Cordial Invitation - by Schazer - 03-18-2018, 08:42 AM
RE: A Cordial Invitation - by Robust Laser - 03-18-2018, 08:57 AM
RE: A Cordial Invitation - by [Robocoon] - 03-18-2018, 09:47 AM
RE: A Cordial Invitation - by FlanDab - 03-18-2018, 12:46 PM
RE: A Cordial Invitation - by Arcanuse - 03-18-2018, 06:09 PM
RE: A Cordial Invitation - by ☆ C.H.W.O.K.A ☆ - 03-18-2018, 07:17 PM
RE: A Cordial Invitation - by wiltingMyosotis - 03-19-2018, 02:17 AM
RE: A Cordial Invitation - by LoverIan - 03-19-2018, 02:24 AM