The Primarch Keeps Breaking Things

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Primarch Keeps Breaking Things
RE: The Primarch Keeps Breaking Things
SpoilerShow

"...they've got rules about who can run around with magical goods. Oh, but don't worry 'bout not knowing. Many tourists don't."

You can tell by her tone that she wants to elaborate. Good. Better she exposits by herself than you press her for information that you should already know.

"Do tell."

She drains her water glass and launches into it.

"OK! Well. For starters, the only people you'll see toting magical equipment work for the government. It's illegal for us layfolk. I'm not just talking weapons, here: A one-night glamour's as likely to get you arrested as an enchanted pistol."

Chris mutters 'dammit' around a slice of egg. The doe continues.

"Weapons and curses have been regulated for pretty much ever. Over time, though, more and more magical goods have become 'license mandatory'. Glamours and scrying equipment joined the pile some fifty years ago. Shortly after, talismans and crystals. As of lately, you need permits for certain familiars, and anything what can be used as an off-the-shelf focus."

"Sounds awful," Chris grumbles, and you know he means 'awful for me'. Miss Elana's wand must be weighing on him. "To a foreigner, anyway. I'm sure you guys are cool with the no-magic-ever law."

"I never said that." Her eyebrows raise. "You've seen the wards around the fountain in Town Square, right? That's magic. The light shows coming on tonight, and the safety measures in the Maze? Also magic. Every time someone gets into a festival barfight, it's licensed healing mages that patch 'em up. Erylites aren't anti-magic. We're just careful how we use it."

"OK, sorry. Sorry. I didn't mean to be, um, culturally insensitive."

"No harm meant, no harm done." Her bells tinkle when she smiles. You're lucky she's so forgiving. "I didn't realise you guys were from so far away."

You shoot Chris a meaningful look. The longer this conversation lasts, the less justifiable your quirks become. Hush.

"We appreciate your orienting us," you say. "I suppose this means private magical goods vendors are..."

"Criminals, yeah. I wouldn't go poking around the underground. Even if you like being on the wrong side of the law, the whole township's got Runesrot thanks to the last fool who tried hiding magic in their basement."

"Aha. Yet the city's wards and such are immune?" You manage to sound more curious than sceptical. "How fortunate."

"I know, right? Government-grade spells and equipment must be made of, like, sterner stuff. Who knows?"

The doe pauses to consult her watch. Then, against your best wishes:

"I've got about an hour before I need to check in with the Maze folk. I wanted to ask, where exactly are you guys from? We get a lot of foreigners for the tournaments, and I can recognise most accents, but yours have been puzzling me all morning, Bartholomew."

'Why me?' you think. Chris sounds just as odd. By her fluttering lashes and coy smile, though, you suspect she finds your tight consonants... appealing.

How embarrassing.

- - - -

Looks like doe-Elana's on to you. How will you handle her question? Or maybe something will happen to save you the awkwardsauce?

>_

Messages In This Thread
The Primarch Keeps Breaking Things - by Tuesbirdy - 04-25-2017, 06:06 AM
RE: The Primarch Keeps Breaking Things - by Myeth - 04-25-2017, 08:19 AM
RE: The Primarch Keeps Breaking Things - by SC - 04-25-2017, 07:53 PM
RE: The Primarch Keeps Breaking Things - by SC - 04-25-2017, 11:47 PM
RE: The Primarch Keeps Breaking Things - by Myeth - 04-26-2017, 06:59 AM
RE: The Primarch Keeps Breaking Things - by Myeth - 04-26-2017, 11:06 AM
RE: The Primarch Keeps Breaking Things - by btp - 04-26-2017, 04:54 PM
RE: The Primarch Keeps Breaking Things - by Myeth - 04-27-2017, 06:52 AM
RE: The Primarch Keeps Breaking Things - by Myeth - 04-27-2017, 08:42 PM
RE: The Primarch Keeps Breaking Things - by btp - 04-27-2017, 09:34 PM