Wizard Detective

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wizard Detective
RE: Wizard Detective
When the term npc or 'non participating character' was first coined, remains a great mystery. Much like the origin of the character sheet, most just take their existence for granted. Common usage is often dominated by adventurers when talking about people who don't have a character sheet of their own. In this case the Dwarfs were mistaken since Morgan stopped being a 'npc' not too long ago. However this is the farthest thing from Morgan North's current train of thought.

Resting on the table shines five golden coins. To a seasoned adventurer such a sum is highly paltry. But to most commoners who's yearly wage averages to around three gold coins in value... No one in particular quickly covers up the coins, hiding them from whoever could be passing by. Waiting urgently for Morgan to do something other than stare blankly where the gold coins used to be in view. On cue she obliges her familiar's urgency with her own and gathers the coins in her hand for further inspection.

What if this is pyrite? Colloquially known as Fool's Gold. It's a common counterfeit material. Morgan casts prestidigitation on the coins to clean them and gives one of the coins a tentative lick. If it was gold it wouldn't taste like anything, if it was pyrite it would taste remarkably unpleasant, no flavor. A slow eye widening realization and a soft spoken murmur. "They're real."

Morgan doesn't come from a rich family. Her father owns a small tailor shop on the other side of town, and her mother pulled several favors to get her only daughter into the local wizard's school. When Morgan first cast light in front of them, neither parent could hold back their tears. In short, Morgan only really had enough for the detective licence fee two months of rent and a small food budget. "This changes things. I can get the place furnished! I can get windows! And a sign!" Morgan looks over at No one in particular who looks just as excited. "And on that sign will say Morgan North, Wizard Detective!"

The half orc still working inside the deli looks through a window to see the strange lady standing up suddenly squeeing in delight. He mumbles to himself "Never have I seen anyone this excited over a sandwich."

The Market Square from where Morgan lives is a hefty 30 minute walk, across the bridge you take a left until you get to the Captain Felwater memorial. Take a right and keep going till you get there. This particular marketplace is more oval than square but no one in their right mind would call it The Market Oval. It just doesn't have decent enough mouth feel.

"First order of business," Morgan says to No one in particular. "City hall, No matter how the place looks if I don't have that license. Well, I will be in a world of trouble." At the center of The ovoid Market Square rests City Hall. And the center of Riverside. The building while very old, is very clear that it's been well taken care of. Large double sided doors made of ironwood rests right at the front entrance. The doors groan, complaining about being opened slowly, Morgan straining from exertion. These doors clearly were designed for someone stronger.

The main chamber a combination of secretary office and waiting room. An overgrown plant sits in the corner hogging most of the light from one of the two windows that illuminate the chamber. On the floor a bear rug missing it's head. On the far side wall a lone desk overflowing with stacks of paper rests a short individual with large eyes, ears and nose with blonde hair shaped wildly in several directions. The gnome speaks through her black rimmed spectacles. "Can I help you?" Morgan walks forward "Yes, I am here to pick up my detectives license." The gnome looks down at her billboard turning over papers in the process. "Name?" The soon to be Detective speaks up immediately. "Morgan North." Several minutes pass while the gnome goes over her disorganized table turning over papers looking for the right one.

"Oh I see, you're a wizard correct?" Before Morgan can respond she continues. "Shouldn't you be out adventuring? Making your name in the world? Why do you want to be a detective?" Flustered, Morgan responds "Well, I." only to be interrupted. "Being a detective is npc's work darling. It's no good having adventurers taking good common folks jobs now is it?" No one in particular glares at the gnome, Morgan speaks up to defend herself "W-well you see." The secretary interrupts again. "If it were up to me your application would be denied, but it isn't up to me. You're approved. Do you have the fee?" Morgan swallows, this isn't how she expected this to go but at least she got approved right? Reaching into her blouse she produces a small coin purse necklace and hands two gold coins to the gnome.

After verifying the coins legitimacy the gnome sighs. "Alright alright here you go, Detective North." Producing a small gold pin, the decal displaying a rosebud inside the lens of a magnifying glass and a small envelope. Morgan happily takes the items, Nods in thanks and silently walks outside. She smiles applying the pin to her coat and looks across the marketplace. Whatever the gnome was on about didn't matter right now. Because from now on, Morgan North is officially a detective.

End of Chapter 1

SpoilerShow

Messages In This Thread
Wizard Detective - by BreadProduct - 03-21-2017, 07:22 AM
RE: Wizard Detective - by Mayu_Zane - 03-21-2017, 08:04 AM
RE: Wizard Detective - by Zephyr Nepres - 03-21-2017, 10:02 AM
RE: Wizard Detective - by BananaPanda - 03-21-2017, 02:21 PM
RE: Wizard Detective - by thriggle - 03-21-2017, 10:51 PM
RE: Wizard Detective - by BreadProduct - 03-22-2017, 01:48 AM
RE: Wizard Detective - by infuriatingCrimson - 03-22-2017, 05:21 AM
RE: Wizard Detective - by Dalmationer - 03-22-2017, 06:42 PM
RE: Wizard Detective - by Arcanuse - 03-22-2017, 08:21 PM