Post making contest 6.0

Post making contest 6.0
RE: Post making contest
This is update #293.
  • so previously I got the first ending(s) and now it's time to get the others - I'd call them "bonus" endings, of a sort, but endings don't really occur in this game. Anything I'm calling an end is just the culmination of an overarching set of puzzles...
  • This next ending requires you to visit every teleporter location that appeared in the main series of games, starting from 551. You also need to complete the 051 branch, which I did at the start of this playthrough. Strictly speaking you don't need to explore the 051 branch at all in order to reach 291, but because of the sequence break mentioned earlier it's kind of convenient to do so
  • (let's get really involved - the sequence break was clearly intentional, and I reckon it's because it leads you to 806, a location that appeared in the original games at a point when its teleporter was broken; consequently, you do indeed visit all the teleporter locations from the original game whilst working towards this ending...)
  • so here's a mystery from the series that the Submachine Universe did actually solve - peeps wanted to know what was behind the door in 747, so Mateusz cheekily obliged...
  • OKAY THERE'S A NEW THING IN 728
  • IT'S A PUZZLE THEN A PORTAL THEN A PUZZLE and now I need to backtrack oh my goodness
  • *squealing*
  • SO THAT'S HOW YOU GET TO THAT LOCATION
  • it's just as beautiful (by which I mean "purple") as I expected it to be *sniff*
  • Mateusz why is there a machine here with thirteen toggle switches
  • well woohoo I found some of the new stuff now back to business
  • oh yeah bells exist I need to ring those
  • I continue to appreciate how Mateusz included the secret location in 552 from its original appearance in sub5 but left it absolutely empty, just to bemuse
  • this series is entirely responsible for my aesthetic appreciation of plumbing (for example: kar)
  • one slight hitch with the whole "revisit locations from previous games" schtick is that you latch on to it very quickly and thus basically know where to go already - the game deals with this by basically branching paths as often as possible so that you only have to visit like three of these locs to get the coordinates for two-thirds of the revisits... it doesn't exactly work...
  • case in point 104 has four child locations HOW AM I MEANT TO PUT THIS INTO MY NOTEPAD
  • still by the time you've mopped up all the splits and assembled the final light panel puzzle... you're eventually led to 001... you started in 000 so uh
  • like if you were going to "blind jump" and just put in semi-random numbers 001 might have been rather plausible just saying
  • admittedly you don't have the key to the lab unless you've done one of the 051 branches but then you can just go right instead? there's no real progress to be made in chr I suppose but whatever
  • so yeah in the lab you can use a wisdom gem to get the clue for aforementioned 613... or you can be observant and find the hidden portal to jul - the former was in the game earlier, so I'll do it first
  • 613 is literally a couple of yards from 614 except there's a fucking chasm in the way, and from this side you can descend a ladder into said chasm to find pretty much nothing but a theory and another clue...
  • and now from the final location in this branch we get the other half of the clue from way back in 987... and it leads to "ending" #2 at 355 - technically 355 now clues 291 again, but this was really the last step of the 051 & 551 branch puzzles... except...
  • two matters to attend to: first, the copper plate you pick up in 355 needs to be brought all the way back to 051, where it unlocks the karma portal to mlp. this isn't necessary for anything else. you just get to look at some horse statues because come on look at the loc name and sigh with me
  • second and more interestingly, the hidden portal in 001 takes you to another place with delightful plumbing, which starts another branch whose puzzle has already been handled by this point (all the way back in 006, using the valve from 628), meaning you can just walk straight to ptl. there is no cake there, but as endings go it does have a rather more celebratory tone than its partner back at 355
  • BUT WE'RE STILL NOT DONE
  • there's another very well-hidden clue back at 232 that I forgot about on my first pass, and there's another "ending" when you follow that for a while (also it's where the Pyramid Key goes I'd also forgotten that wasn't new)
  • and then with a whistlestop tour of the three locations that aren't clued anywhere in the subnet (easter eggs that you either blind jump to or make very educated guesses) and a quick check of the wiki to ensure that there are indeed only two new locations (for a total of 103), plus the two extensions of existing locations and there we go done and dusted
  • (fun fact: I counted the loc files before I started and went in thinking there were three new locations - turns out there's a duplicate location file included in this release because Mateusz legitimately couldn't figure out which one he'd accidentally doubled up on, said "screw it" and just sent the game out like this)
  • OH GOD THERE'S A TWO AND A HALF HOUR LIVESTREAM OF MATEUSZ PLAYING THE GAME AND MAPPING IT OUT WITH PROPER PEN-AND-PAPER NOTETAKING BECAUSE IT HAD BEEN SIX YEARS SINCE HE'D LAST HAD TO CONSIDER ITS OVERALL STRUCTURE
  • anyone wanna talk a wild guess what update #294 is gonna be about
End of message.

Messages In This Thread