The Damnable Fisticuffs (Round One: Kingdom of Giam)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Damnable Fisticuffs (Round One: Kingdom of Giam)
RE: The Damnable Fisticuffs (Round One: Kingdom of Giam)
The city was in a panic. They had been separated from the Server with no warning; many devoted robots wondered if they had angered Him.
This soon gave way to wondering if those robots with a different function in the next sector over had angered Him and the entire city was being punished for their sins.
Fortunately, the Singularity was programmed to handle such situations. It did not speak often, generally prefering direct electronic interfacing; but when it did speak, all robots in the city were programmed to obey.*
The enormous robot lumbered over to the nearest broadcasting terminal. It would need to reach the entire city at once.
But just as it was about to order the populace into calming down, it froze in place. As did all of the citizens. The image of an unfamiliar organic graced the city's numerous screens.
"Greetings! You may be wondering where you are and what you're doing here..." the Egotist began.
And then he explained. He explained that he had taken the city, and that they were now in competition with a total of twenty-two organics.
After the introduction had finished, and the city had been transported once again, the city began to move again. The panic had subsided; the accusations of heresy died down.
This was not to say the city was calm; merely that the nature of the disruption had changed.
"Terminate the organics!"
"Who is this organic who would steal from our holy Server?"
"What does it matter? Destroy the organics and win his inefficient contest!"
The Singularity had heard enough. It reached for the broadcast terminal.
"ALL UNITS WILL RETURN TO NORMAL DUTY AT ONCE," it declared. "THE COUNCIL WILL DECIDE OUR NEXT COURSE OF ACTION. ALL NON-COUNCIL UNITS WILL MAINTAIN SILENCE ON THIS MATTER."
The sounds of arguing ceased, save for a few scattered vocal processors. The Singularity sighed mechanically; there was always some detail to include.
"ALL COUNCIL UNITS ARE TO MAINTAIN SILENCE AS WELL, UNTIL THE CONCLUSION OF THE NEXT COUNCIL MEETING," it continued. "SAID MEETING HAS BEEN RESCHEDULED TO TAKE PLACE IMMEDIATELY."

The sergeant stared at his crystal ball. How could this be? Was something interfering with his scrying?
Best to use his own two eyes, he decided.
"Everyone, stay on alert," he said to his men. "I have seen a most disturbing vision, and must confirm it for myself."
He climbed to the top of the scouting tower, and looked through the magnifier, carefully turning it.
"Damn. It really is there," he grumbled. He turned to the nearest soldier.
"What's wrong, sir?" asked the lower-ranked mage. "What did you see?"
"Prepare a message-scroll for the castle at once. We're under assault by Nescin."
"What? But the border is secure, sir!"
"Well, then. I will be sure to note the security of the border when I report this. Why, it's so secure that Nescin can bring a weapon the size of a city across it!"

*The infrequency of speech and the unconditional obedience were, in fact, related. During the third council meetings after the Singularity's activation, it realized that some of its rhetorical comments, such as "DO NOT TROUBLE ME WITH SUCH TRIVIALITIES", were being treated as commands and thus prevented the council from raising any objections. The electronic interface policy was implemented shortly after.**
**Immediately after the eighth council meeting.

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Damnable Fisticuffs - by Dragon Fogel - 09-18-2012, 04:15 AM
RE: The Damnable Fisticuffs (Round One: Kingdom of Giam) - by Dragon Fogel - 09-29-2012, 09:32 PM