Webcomic Deer Rectory

Webcomic Deer Rectory
RE: Webcomic Deer Rectory
Homestuck is good at what it is trying to do, which is get people to read it and want to have others read it. Most of it is because of the structure, ideas, and the bait-and-switch.

The rest of this is pretty disorganized, some of it is lifted from things wheats said, and it isn't the best defense.

The updating schedule is easy to digest, assuming you are a serial reader, and the visuals are good. Most of the characters are pretty blank, but that is intentional, to let you project things on to them. The character design is easy to understand and emulate, (the most complex character that there was, was probably Jack Noir when he had the wings and tentacles, and most of that was just an all black dude), and if you put all of the characters in a line, but only differentiated them by what colors go where you would be able to tell them apart. You have a face, a hair, a shirt, a pants, a symbol, and whatever more you want to add. Look at how easy it is.

The main selling point of it in terms of story is the start. There are so many places that it can go from the beginning and that leads to wanting more and that leads to spending some odd hours or days reading a thing that you are less than willing to just forget about given the investment.

The Sburb/troll things are, as the mspafa and trollslum very much show us, literally made to be emulated. You are supposed to look at this adventure starring the boy with glasses and you are supposed to go, 'i should do something like that with my friends that would be cool.' To that end we've got a number of things that reflect on the players of the game that you want to have for yourself! What is my land? What is my title? What are my consorts? These are all questions that the story makes you ask!

The way that these things are introduced and explained, slowly over the course of the whole thing, is a good tactic for keeping you reading and junk, if Andrew just released a big book on how to Sburb i'd probably just read that instead of the comic, but at this point, I've spent so much time with it, and I have so many people who'd want to talk to me about it, that I'd read it till it ends.

There's other stuff, some way more positive probably, but meh.

Also, despite my pessimisming, I wouldn't call Hamsteak the worst thing I've ever read, although I might call it the worst out of the things i read? I don't luv it, but I don't really dislike it that much.

Messages In This Thread
Webcomic Deer Rectory - by OTTO - 05-02-2009, 05:31 AM