What Changes Changes Be

What Changes Changes Be
What Changes Changes Be
Some of you may have noticed the change in the tiny bar of text on the banner at the top there (if you're not still looking at a cached version, or if you're not reading this far enough in the future that this has all ceased to be relevant); for those of you that haven't, it says "Major changes coming soon*, be forewarned". I figure some transparency in what goes on around here is a good idea, so here are some definitions for you:

changes (pl. n.) - the alteration or adjustment of one or more aspects of a thing (ex. the website's changes included fixing some skin issues and moving from GoDaddy to Gandi)

major (adj.) - significant enough that it might impact functionality for a period of time (ex. the website was down for a few hours because of some major changes)

soon* (adj.) - within a few days, give or take; potentially within the day (ex. the website will be down for a few hours soon*)

So there you have it; be forewarned!

Now, the reason we're doing this now is because things like hosting and the domain name are coming up for renewal in a month or so (and because GoDaddy's a philosophical butt with an awkward back end). It'll also make things a little cheaper on our end of things; it's still in the same ball park, but that ball park's a not-insignificant bit of change, which is why we're doing a second thing: providing you an option to help support costs (it sounds much nicer than "trawling for cash" this way).

Basically, the existence of Eagle Time for the next twelve months is going to run around $75 in total - I'll have exact numbers for anyone who wants them after the change to Gandi has been made. For the last year (our first year of existence), it was around $90, and both of those are basically just coming out of my and Schazer's pockets. If you're at all inclined to help out with that, I'll be temporarily slapping a Donate button on the site, and you should be able to use a credit card to shoot five bucks or something along if you're so inclined. 'Twould be much appreciated if you could chip a few bucks in to help out!

Now, I've got some things to start preparing. With any luck, I should have time to get us moved this very afternoon; there may be a few hours of downtime, but I'll do my best to keep things minimal and keep people updated. If you've got any questions, feel free to drop them in this thread or #eagletime over on EsperNet and I'll do my best to get them answered!

Messages In This Thread
What Changes Changes Be - by Pinary - 05-20-2012, 05:46 PM
RE: What Changes Changes Be - by btp - 05-20-2012, 07:20 PM
RE: What Changes Changes Be - by Schazer - 05-21-2012, 12:17 AM
RE: What Changes Changes Be - by Jacquerel - 05-21-2012, 01:59 AM
RE: What Changes Changes Be - by Infrared - 05-21-2012, 02:48 AM
RE: What Changes Changes Be - by btp - 05-21-2012, 04:57 AM
RE: What Changes Changes Be - by Robust Laser - 05-21-2012, 05:01 AM
RE: What Changes Changes Be - by Schazer - 05-21-2012, 05:52 AM
RE: What Changes Changes Be - by Plaid - 05-21-2012, 05:29 AM
RE: What Changes Changes Be - by Pinary - 05-22-2012, 01:44 AM
RE: What Changes Changes Be - by btp - 05-22-2012, 08:10 PM