Dwarf Fortress: The Legacy of Eagletime

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dwarf Fortress: The Legacy of Eagletime
RE: Dwarf Fortress: The Legacy of Eagletime
This season has been a fruitful one, and by fruitful I mean babies are being born like this fortress is a gatling vagina. Seven dwarven babies just this winter.

[Image: Yxarm.gif]
The human caravan shuffles out of my carefully designed trade entrance.

[Image: oH0QR.gif]
I've set up some cage traps around the embark location, and it seems that I've captured some wandering animal people. Four fine porcupine women, one thrips man, and one thrips woman.. For now, they'll just sit in a cramped cage in the dining hall deprived of all civil liberties, but I'm taking suggestions.

[Image: lKFDT.gif]
The miners have begun searching for precious mineral ores. Most of the layers below are metamorphic, which carry relatively few useful minerals. Chalk is a sedimentary layer, so we've started combing through some of that in the hopes of unearthing some hematite, an ore of iron.

Spring arrives.

Another three births. It's a good thing dwarven farming violates every known human rule of agriculture or we'd all starve.

[Image: r2kM9.gif]
One of the tykes gets a secretive mood. A few bones, gems, and stone blocks later, I get this, a regular bone battle axe. Nothing to write to the mountainhome about except another fairly pointless legendary bonecarver.0

[Image: gsRg3.gif]
Some more construction happens, mostly in preparation for the long-overdue goblins that should really be showing up by now. Here's the upgraded depot entrance. The walls extend as close to the map edge as possible, and then the floor is dug out the rest of the way there. This forces the caravan to enter at exactly one point and follow one well-trapped route to take out any invaders that chase the caravan into the fortress.

[Image: pU2WT.gif]
A giant weasel has been captured and (partially) tamed! The plans for her are myriad, but fingers are crossed for a Mr. Giant Weasel first.

[Image: KjPo7.gif]
Our hunter for some reason is interested in tasting the flesh of a giant moth. Here are 52 pieces of giant moth meat. The flesh. Of a massive moth. Blankaloupe

>A dwarven soup-machine has been constructed. Squads of dwarves are gently tenderized with dozens of steadily pounding dull wooden training spears. Once suitably prepared, they are sent to the razor-sharp teeth and claws of myriad monsters and demons to be cut into bite-sized pieces and roasted.

>On an unrelated note, the first four dwarven corpses of the fortress! And what a coincidence! They're all babies! The cause of death has been ruled "soup by-product". Their grieving mothers have been relieved from military service to grieve over legendary booze and food.

Summer arrives.

[Image: seVBo.gif]
The soup machine has inadvertently turned the dwarves (who had been given wooden spears for some reason) into master speardwarves, and have been handed copper spears. As a second attempt, another ten dwarves have been handed wooden swords and shoved into the same room. Here they all are, being prodded repeatedly with wooden shafts. Oh, and the red stuff? The mingled blood of five babies, whose heads were crushed while cradled in the arms of their mothers. No need to thank me; just doing my job.

>The metal-smelting industry is gaining steam. Tetrahedrite, an ore of copper and silver, has been found in surplus. Despite thorough exploratory mining, there's no signs of any iron or tin ores. It seems like I'll have to import any metals superior to copper.

Another migant wave comes. I'm at about 160 of these guys now. I'm starting to feel the lag from the number of entities on the map now. I'm turning off migration in the settings file now.

[Image: L9Qdw.gif?1]
Ah, our first hostile entity! A forgotten beast has come. Forgotten beasts (or FBs) are randomly-generated monsters of considerable size. Their threat ranges as wildly as their attributes. FBs comprised of steam are thoroughly harmless (I had one such beast fight a dog for several seasons before it killed itself by slamming into a wall.) This one seems reasonably dangerous, especially since it can fly.

[Image: N5Zum.gif]
But a more eminent foe threatens us first. A cave crocodile: commonly present for any fortress, yet commonly lethal to an unprepared dwarf. It strikes one of our Starting Seven, a legendary woodcutter, who had gone down to the tetrahedrite mines to fetch some ore. He flees the beast, attempts to run past it, but is driven back once more.

[Image: fGDPs.gif]
Our freshly-tenderized squad of highly-competent speardwarves is sent to deal with the crocodile. Litast Trademirrors arrives first and unleashes a surprising number of piercing strikes to a diverse number of crocodilian organs. The crocodile manages to vomit twice before succumbing to the squad known as The Ochre Barbs. Now being sufficiently tenderized, the crocodile is sent to the butcher to prepare it for consumption. Yes, dwarven meat processing tenderizes the meat while it's still alive.

[Image: nKzPu.gif]
However, they find the woodcutter bled out and missing a hand and a pinky toe. He is sent to be smashed into nothingness under a drawbridge and is memorialized on a stone slab as is our custom.

[Image: 9J7rJ.gif]
But before the speardwarves can leave, a rutherer arrives, seeming to be in pursuit of a miner. She is massive, thick-furred, and thoroughly dangerous. She is also quickly chased and put down, having decided to rush through a worked-up squad of speardwarves. Another one for the butcher.

[Image: Bw3kt.gif]
A kobold thief attempts to sneak through our main entrance. Our bustling, dwarf-filled, two-tile-wide entrance. Here he is, fleeing after being spotted. They're quite fast.

[Image: qSUVY.gif]
A human caravan arrives. Excuse me Mister Merchant, I will give you this box of stone shit for everything you own that is bronze or iron.

Autumn arrives.
[Image: xwldX.gif]

Messages In This Thread