Music

Poll: Your musical genre?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
35.23%
31 35.23%
No
21.59%
19 21.59%
All of the above
43.18%
38 43.18%
Total 88 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Music
RE: Music
Haha yeah that is straight yacht rock

Speaking of people trying to sound like Stevie

SpoilerShow

(10-22-2013, 03:38 AM)Chwoka Wrote: »
SpoilerShow

Calling it now: Badbadnotgood producers of the decade.

Did BBNG produce this? I had no idea. I know they've worked with Tyler the Creator.

Old is pretty good though

SpoilerShow
This should be good for a laugh.

SpoilerShow
The guy at the beginning of the Chinese Food video appears to be talking about adding half a liter of milk to his chow mein?
Woah, Supes, remember these guys?

SpoilerShow

Didn't know they had a new single out until today. I like it.

(10-23-2013, 05:31 AM)CSJ Wrote: »This should be good for a laugh.

SpoilerShow

Ha, I saw this the other day. The sad thing is that this will probably give these kids more exposure than they ever would have had otherwise.
SpoilerShow

Still can't decide if I prefer 'nu-funk' or 'nu-disco'.
SpoilerShow
(10-24-2013, 10:14 PM)CSJ Wrote: »
SpoilerShow

Still can't decide if I prefer 'nu-funk' or 'nu-disco'.

Diggin' this

SpoilerShow
Samuel Barber: Excursions, Op. 20, mvt. 3 “Allegretto”

If this sounds like “Streets of Laredo” to you, well, it’s not a mistake. It’s an homage. Also,

Wikipedia Wrote:Unusual among contemporary composers, nearly all of his compositions have been recorded.
:takethat:

SpoilerShow
sea had swallowed all. A lazy curtain of dust was wafting out to sea
Some good house

(MyBB really needs a Soundcloud embed option)

(10-26-2013, 07:44 PM)BRPXQZME Wrote: »
SpoilerShow

I like this!

I want to listen to more of Barber's stuff - I know next to nothing about American composers. What would you recommend?
America is too new for most of the common-practice music I listen to. Only a few composers who reached adulthood before 1900 amount to more than footnotes*, were we to keep textbooks at lighter-than-backbreaking size, and of these, the handful people are likely to have heard (Sousa, Joplin) were a little bit removed from classical/romantic stuff. The musical center of the times was always somewhere in Europe; America was, musically, hardly a blip on the radar (... had radar been invented).

And in 1892 Dvořák the Bohemian arrived unto the New World. Prophesied he: In the Negro melodies of America I discover all that is needed for a great and noble school of music. (His stay was only until 1895, but left a lasting impression. His final symphony, “From the New World” was composed during this period. The great and noble school of music? Perhaps not what he envisioned, but definitely turned out to be jazz.)

By the time there was something distinctly an American style, there was already a recording industry, and I think by that time it was pretty clear the popular music tradition would eventually win most of the money. What is now left tends to be somewhere on a spectrum from academic (weirdness) to commercial (films), and as a matter of fashion, the grand scoring styles of classic Hollywood or opera are not finding much traction of late compared to minimalist** or twelve-toney stuff. Well, the state of common-practice music has been pretty grim like that for a while anyway.

I’d say Aaron Copland, George Gershwin, and Leonard Bernstein are definitely indispensable when one considers common-practice music written by Americans; it’s common practice with clear popular influences. Outside an American style, there were notable immigrants: Rachmaninoff (escaped the Bolsheviks), Schoenberg (escaped the Nazis), Stravinsky (escaped the Bolsheviks, then the Nazis). But in general, today’s “classical” in that bent is largely the game and film composers you already hear.

As for Barber, his most famous work is “Adagio for Strings”, often employed in the movies for tear-jerking. I don’t know much more than that, as he does not get very much airtime on any station I listen to. Jeremy Soule posted it, saying “Always an influence”. I thought it was pretty nice, compared to how a lot of Modern stuff is downright inaccessible.

* Louis Moreau Gottschalk (1829–1869) was a piano prodigy who traveled to Europe at age 13 to get a decent musical education. His application was rejected by the Paris Conservatoire because obviously the U.S. had never produced a good musician and wasn’t about to start. He gave lots of concerts throughout the Americas, eventually catching malaria and dying from what was probably a quinine overdose.

** Minimalism is a horrible name for that particular school; it’s just the one that’s stuck. In many cases, its calling card is lots of carefully varied repetition, which may build up slowly or not at all. But it is also incredibly intricate at times, which is not “minimal”, yes? So, a bit more like EDM, but less electronic, less dance, and lessG’NIIIIGHT
sea had swallowed all. A lazy curtain of dust was wafting out to sea
Picked this off a friend.

SpoilerShow

As for American classical composers, what do you think of this?
(10-27-2013, 10:52 AM)CSJ Wrote: »As for American classical composers, what do you think of this?

I can dig it

re: BRP, I like definitely like minimalist composers like Reich, Glass and Adams. Haven't listened to much Copland or Bernstein though; will definitely check them out.
Oh, yeah. Here's a contribution to the impending All Hallows music dump.

SpoilerShow
While the style/genre isn't up my alley, his live mixes are pretty damn cool.
I remember you posting that a while ago! It is basically prog disco. I like it. I could do without the narration but the music is great.

I hadn't heard that Rinder and Lewis track before but it's cool. Nice synth parts.

Reading that Gino Soccio article now
Had to upload this one myself.

SpoilerShow
Yeah, I can only imagine how expensive and time consuming records like Costandinos' were to produce. Maybe that's why there's a lack of indie groups doing disco these days? (at least, there is as far as I know - maybe there's all kinds of cool modern stuff you know about)

Diggin' Rinder and Lewis, sorta reminds me of Herbie Hancock's 80s stuff
SpoilerShow

Love Ngudu's drum break at the beginning of this song. I feel like that's a little touch I didn't appreciate at first.

(10-31-2013, 02:10 AM)Superfrequency Wrote: »
SpoilerShow

Oh cool, I was trying to find this in the back pages of this thread the other day
I couldn't think of a good way to describe it! There is so much disco. SO MUCH. I guess that's one of the few modern tracks you've posted (IIRC), though.

SpoilerShow
The Django theme was one of my favorite parts of Django Unchained, honestly. Western soundtracks are cool.

SpoilerShow

I didn't know Stevie Wonder wrote this until today! Doesn't surprise me though.
Dang, I've never really listened to Air before, this rules

edit: La Femme d'Argent sounds like a Medeski, Martin and Wood song I love iiiiiiiiit
SpoilerShow

This starts out like a Jean Michel Jarre song and then goes into a slow jam

So good
SpoilerShow
SpoilerShow
^ I like this

SpoilerShow

Man, it's been years since I've heard this. DAD JAMS. Great song though.
(11-13-2013, 06:55 PM)Superfrequency Wrote: »Starpoint are the business

I agree

SpoilerShow
[Image: iqVkAVO.gif]