Black Zenith [Adventure RPG / Chapter Four: Fires of Heaven]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Black Zenith [Adventure RPG / Chapter Four: Fires of Heaven]
RE: Black Zenith [Adventure RPG / Chapter Three: Forgotten Whispers]
(Everyone got attacked by that ice last round. Guess what that means!)

From the rubble of a collapsed cliff, Thunderpaw's head emerges, glaring at the dragon beast. The rest of him quickly unburied itself, hammer glowing with his fury. A leap off the cave wall, over through the various spires, all to get in business range with the Malediction. He jumped from head and limb up the monster towards the head and showed it what Vendetta could do to those that have the gall to mess with his group.

1.5 + 35%*7 = 395% Vendetta Damage. Malediction's gunna need some stitches.
SpoilerShow

As the ice shards explode, hitting him and his allies, Watson looks at his sword with glazed-over eyes. He knows this can't be normal. Or it's the alcohol kicking in again. Yes, that must be it, as Watson tries once again to slash off another head off the Hydra: The Subdued Head.

He motions for Myra to cast a freeze spell of some sort since he saw that burning one entirely didn't do much. He slurs it due to the wine, ending up with "FREEzsh the head!" as he gestures to the Subdued one and attacks.
(08-01-2013, 01:22 AM)ICantGiveCredit Wrote: »(it was me, I had the gall. Melonspa well technically, I guess, I knew something would happen ('cause there was a stored magical attack since I didn't use it 'til now).
didn't know the hidden effect would be Freezing! Happymelon)

Psst

It wasnt the sword doing that if it was i would do a thing revealing what the hidden effect was. The known effect on it does deal cold damage though, yes.
"That's it!" Nos exclaims, "I'm too worked up now not to do something about my continued denial of smashing. I will just have to become the ultimate smasher!" Nos brandishes his still-fairly-new orb, and suddenly tosses it into the air. He takes a batting position with his hammer, which starts to glow with magic running from Nos's hands to the head of the hammer, and as the orb falls Nos swings and sends it flying into the distance. It vanishes before it can hit anything, and soon reappears to conk Nos on the head from above, now infused with the Ultimate Smasher spell, which grants a large increase to damage and accuracy with smashing-based attacks for a few turns. And maybe a cool cape.

((Probably not neccessary but hey I waited for Nos's burst and everything so gosh darn it I'm gonna do this thing that I am doing.
Side note, I hope it's not a problem that I'm being so liberal with Nos's spellcasting fluff.))
SpoilerShow
(08-01-2013, 06:51 PM)Dais Wrote: »((Side note, I hope it's not a problem that I'm being so liberal with Nos's spellcasting fluff.))

Not at all. Magic is a ludicruously versatile force and basically becomes customized by each and every different single magic user, particularly the powerful and individualistic individuals. If one guy is of the opinion that shit works a particular way, then guess what it really does work that way (for him).

Or something like that.
(( So who wants to see how many bird puns I can make in this post? They'll be in green. ))

Myra watched incredulously as two new heads sprouted, even after her fireball. "Urgh, that really ruffles my feathers," she begins to grouse as she swallows the reality of the situation, "Ptime and ptarmigan, these raven lunatic hydra heads are given a swift end, and they stilt carrion with two new shiny heads, alive and robin all the fun outta this cockfight! Do I need to beak out my whippoorwill there be a flappin' end to this fowl play!?"

Eggs-austed from her long parade of birds*, she stands, taking deep breaths to redover. During her moment of nest, the ravenfolk is somehow able to make out Watson's command. "Freeze the decapitated stumps? Is that what I'm heron?" Assuming that was exactly what the dapper gentleman was conveying, Myra conjures up a freezing blizzard to blast at the Subdued Head, or what will be left of it after some stately slashing.

(( *Birds = words. The bird is the word.
I have no egrets. ))
((-6, no point in using ranged anymore. Christ.))

Bohw's state of disorientation goes from a mild bewilderment to a complete rage, stamping her feet and hissing, she dumps her bow on the ground and begins shouting some incantations. She draws some runes in the air with a finger and her hands light up with a bright purple colour, before thrust her arms forwards with a yell. The Runes then fly forward as they try to lock onto the Baleflame's head and sap it's power away to weaken it's attacking strength.

Mayor, still under the steady stream of fire, lunges forward and grabs the Baleflame's head with his big fat hands, hands which are currently made of almost molten steel, red hot from a certain Hydra's attack. If Mayor grabs on successfully, he drives one of his burning finger's into one of the beast's eyes!
Savannah pulls up an arm to block the spray of ice shards. She grunts unhappily as the parasite she placed on the head shattered along with it. Grasping a vine that hit her, she tosses it out into the water, activating Aromatherapy.
[Image: darksun1.png]

SpoilerShow

(08-01-2013, 12:14 AM)MasterBlade Wrote: »From the rubble of a collapsed cliff, Thunderpaw's head emerges, glaring at the dragon beast. The rest of him quickly unburied itself, hammer glowing with his fury. A leap off the cave wall, over through the various spires, all to get in business range with the Malediction. He jumped from head and limb up the monster towards the head and showed it what Vendetta could do to those that have the gall to mess with his group.

1.5 + 35%*7 = 395% Vendetta Damage. Malediction's gunna need some stitches.

I should just stop giving npcs area attacks, it is counterproductive :c

Your math is a little off, though. Mael didnt take damage, and Vendetta doesnt count yourself - the total is 360% damage. Which is still plenty enough!

Seeing your chance to land an attack, you dash along the waterline in order to reach your target and, just as it lunges forwards at one of your comrades, you hurl all of your power at the beasts exposed head, slamming your hammer into it for a mighty 1188 damage! (Roll 19+5-2)(Hit 5+4 Vs Defense 9)

(08-01-2013, 01:22 AM)ICantGiveCredit Wrote: »As the ice shards explode, hitting him and his allies, Watson looks at his sword with glazed-over eyes. He knows this can't be normal. Or it's the alcohol kicking in again. Yes, that must be it, as Watson tries once again to slash off another head off the Hydra: The Subdued Head.

He motions for Myra to cast a freeze spell of some sort since he saw that burning one entirely didn't do much. He slurs it due to the wine, ending up with "FREEzsh the head!" as he gestures to the Subdued one and attacks.

You hack at the head, dealing 150 damage! (Roll 6+7-3) However, you fail to chop it off!

(08-01-2013, 06:51 PM)Dais Wrote: »"That's it!" Nos exclaims, "I'm too worked up now not to do something about my continued denial of smashing. I will just have to become the ultimate smasher!" Nos brandishes his still-fairly-new orb, and suddenly tosses it into the air. He takes a batting position with his hammer, which starts to glow with magic running from Nos's hands to the head of the hammer, and as the orb falls Nos swings and sends it flying into the distance. It vanishes before it can hit anything, and soon reappears to conk Nos on the head from above, now infused with the Ultimate Smasher spell, which grants a large increase to damage and accuracy with smashing-based attacks for a few turns. And maybe a cool cape.

You cast your spell and let your spell focus draw it in. The spell should give you a +2 to damage and hit rolls for 3 turns ordinarily, but cast with the orb it should have even greater potency! Oh, and you'll get a badass cape made of loose magical energy as soon as you cast it, aswell. (roll 2+8-1)

(08-02-2013, 01:46 AM)Frolic Wrote: »Myra watched incredulously as two new heads sprouted, even after her fireball. "Urgh, that really ruffles my feathers," she begins to grouse as she swallows the reality of the situation, "Ptime and ptarmigan, these raven lunatic hydra heads are given a swift end, and they stilt carrion with two new shiny heads, alive and robin all the fun outta this cockfight! Do I need to beak out my whippoorwill there be a flappin' end to this fowl play!?"

Eggs-austed from her long parade of birds*, she stands, taking deep breaths to redover. During her moment of nest, the ravenfolk is somehow able to make out Watson's command. "Freeze the decapitated stumps? Is that what I'm heron?" Assuming that was exactly what the dapper gentleman was conveying, Myra conjures up a freezing blizzard to blast at the Subdued Head, or what will be left of it after some stately slashing.

You blast the subdued head with frost! Unfortunately, your concentration is severely broken when Malediction lunges at you, somehow managing to roar dark words of power at you despite clearly being little more intelligent than a beast. Regardless, you instinctively know that you have been condemned to suffer a curse!

Oh and your attack dealt 113 damage (roll 2+5-2, crit). Thats gotta be the worst crit yet.

(08-02-2013, 02:24 AM)BlazerC Wrote: »Bohw's state of disorientation goes from a mild bewilderment to a complete rage, stamping her feet and hissing, she dumps her bow on the ground and begins shouting some incantations. She draws some runes in the air with a finger and her hands light up with a bright purple colour, before thrust her arms forwards with a yell. The Runes then fly forward as they try to lock onto the Baleflame's head and sap it's power away to weaken it's attacking strength.

Mayor, still under the steady stream of fire, lunges forward and grabs the Baleflame's head with his big fat hands, hands which are currently made of almost molten steel, red hot from a certain Hydra's attack. If Mayor grabs on successfully, he drives one of his burning finger's into one of the beast's eyes!

You try to seal the Hydra's power! To your surprise, you actually succeed, your magic not at all hindred by your dazed state, thanks to the nature of the stuff. You reduce the Baleflame's Power by 18% for 3 rounds! Thats fairly significant, actually (Roll 18-1+3)!

That proves to be a good thing as the very next thing the Baleflame does is draw in a deep breath, only to exhale a veritable inferno across the entire length of the ledge, burning everyone for 97 damage, each! Fortunately its aim is really, really bad, as it turns out that, once the air clears again, it has only grazed each of you with its burning breath. Fortunately, the heat also serves to ease the bone-chilling cold left by the Wrathful heads!

Mayor would dearly like to show the Baleflame the mistake of heating him up, but the fire mustve had some disruptive effect on his enchantments or something as all he manages to do is sort of stumble forwards doing no good (Hit 5-1 Vs Defense 9). Fortunately, he seems to already be cooling down, though he'll probably need to get checked up on by a smith later, just in case. That is, if you survive this encounter. Damned thing shows no sign of tiring.

(08-02-2013, 08:15 PM)SupahKiven Wrote: »Savannah pulls up an arm to block the spray of ice shards. She grunts unhappily as the parasite she placed on the head shattered along with it. Grasping a vine that hit her, she tosses it out into the water, activating Aromatherapy.

Utilizing the innate power of all plants, you heal yourself and your allies for 83 health! (Roll 6+5)

More importantly, essential oils infuses the party, guaranteeing a natural performance.

---

The stump of the Wrathstrike's neck splits and regrows into two additional heads! These two also seem devoid of the rage which the other heads show.

With no more frost heads present, the chilling cold left by those heads earlier seem to fade rapidly.

Ofcourse, the baleful head insists on harassing Bohw some more. Unhindered, it strikes at her for 315 damage! Mayor punches it, but the blow falls short as the head withdraws out of range (Hit 9-1 Vs Defense 9)

The Subdued head takes a bite out of Mael for 225 damage! He ignores it, stabbing the Baleflame for 405 damage instead (roll 14+4, Crit)

The Malevolent Head fires a beam of magical energy at Nos, frying him for 175 damage!

Stats
SpoilerShow
Having left his drunken state, Watson uses his Wits to evaluate just what in the dandy-whiskers is with this terrible sea-beast. Finding a weakness would be ideal...

He walks out of range of the hydra, so he may think in peace.
(08-03-2013, 06:00 PM)chimericWilder Wrote: »Your math is a little off, though. Mael didnt take damage, and Vendetta doesnt count yourself

(04-07-2013, 04:52 PM)chimericWilder Wrote: »Vendetta: Strikes back in vengeance against a foe, dealing a baseline of Power x1.5 damage. For each of your allies, yourself not included, who were attacked in any way last round, this attack deals an additional +35% damage.

Mael was still targeted by the ice, counting as being attacked.
Bohw,
Mayor,
Nos,
Savanah,
Watson,
Myra.

Thats 7 people, so Base 150% + 35%*7 is 395%. When the entire team is under unanimous attack, Vendetta bites back.

Also Thunderpaw keeps smacking the head around.
Savannah takes a deep breath, hoping to whatever deity watched over them that she'd be fine, and straightens herself out as best as possible. Bending her legs to ready herself, Savannah sprints forward and shouts out to anyone, mainly Myra, "Might need some help here!"

Savannah jumps, clumsily catching the hilt of the Champion Blade embedded in the Baleful Head's jaw. After dangling from in the air for a few moments, Savannah swings forward, kicking the head's neck and spinning her sword through the hydra's flesh, in an attempt to slice off the Baleful Head. After her body hits the neck, Savannah drops like a rock back into the water.
Okay, so apparently they don't like puns. Well the puns don't like them, either. Do anyone ever hear any Hydra puns? This is probably why. Myra shakes her head, highly dismayed by the curses and hexes stacked against her. She's going to have to fix that soon.

Nevertheless, she nods at Savannah, and moves to a better angle for attacking the Baleful Head. She begins the spell, building up a cold blast of blizzard, firing it off at the Baleful Head as soon as Savannah is safe from friendly fire.
SpoilerShow
Barely finding the strength to rise and her face dripping with her own blood, Bohw has trouble steadying herself from the Baleful Head's last attack and falls backwards. Mayor spins around to face her with great concern, but when he sees that familiar black aura begins to envelope her, his concern shifts from her to everyone else.

Fortunately, the transformation is considerably slowed by her mangled sense of direction, instead she lets out some completely incoherent screeching and draws another set of runes from her lying down position, they warp over to the Baleful Head and bind onto it's flesh, stealing a chunk of whatever life force it has left in a single attack.

Mayor breaks his eyes away from Bohw and turns attention to helping the others, diving in the water after Savannah. The water rapidly cools him as he grabs her to stop her from sinking, focusing on keeping her above water and away from any further harm as he carries her back to more shallow water/land.

((Brace yourselves. If there are no objections, probably going to use Hellbent next turn.

Also what is it with Mayor and protecting young ladies? But, to avoid confusion, Mayor is basically defending Savannah a 2nd time this battle. And please stop me if don't want me dragging you away from the water, Kiven.))
Hydra? I hardly knew ya!
@MB

Oh yes i suppose you could see it like that given the wording. Unfortunately the wording is supposed to include all of the weird spells that dont technically count as a direct attack and basically other ambigeous shit. But its a revenge-based ability and theres not much sense in gaining bonuses for attacks that are dodged or blocked or whatever. Fortunately for you, i was planning some changes to the ability recently which should make it somewhat more badass. Speaking of which, there will be a Balance Changes update as soon as this fight is over. If you have any balance issues you would like consideration, please direct them to your nearest developer. By which i mean me.
"Here we go!" Nos shouts, triumphantly, as he immediately unleashes the spell he just put into the orb. "Save something for me to smash, will you guys?"
(08-04-2013, 09:43 AM)chimericWilder Wrote: »Speaking of which, there will be a Balance Changes update as soon as this fight is over. If you have any balance issues you would like consideration, please direct them to your nearest developer. By which i mean me.

(Well, I still haven't seen Second Wind's 10% freeheal come into effect. Perhaps just buff the damage healed when resting/recovering and call it a day?)
I've actually remembered to roll for it most of the time and its just never happened. Alternatively would you like it to give you a free heal when on low health?
(08-04-2013, 07:04 PM)chimericWilder Wrote: »I've actually remembered to roll for it most of the time and its just never happened. Alternatively would you like it to give you a free heal when on low health?

(A roll for health restored once a battle when below a certain percentage? Could work as an alternative. Work the details out with the mass rebalancing)
[Image: darksun1.png]

SpoilerShow

(08-03-2013, 07:47 PM)ICantGiveCredit Wrote: »Having left his drunken state, Watson uses his Wits to evaluate just what in the dandy-whiskers is with this terrible sea-beast. Finding a weakness would be ideal...

He walks out of range of the hydra, so he may think in peace.

Well, according to well-known myth, you need to kill a hydra by destroying its body, not its heads, but in this situation you are guessing that that simply wont be possible. Not as long as it is hiding beneath the water. However the legends also state that chopping off the heads is not entirely useless either as forcing it to grow enough heads can have a negative effect on the beast's collective minds, though what that means precisely you dont know.

Obviously you have also noticed that there are three types of heads, aswell as one 'empowered' version of each. The wrathful ones seem attuned to frost and pure strength, the baleful ones to fire and finesse (or what passes for finesse in a raging beast), and the malevolent ones to a more wide variety of magic. Each type also seems obsessed with attacking only one type of combatant - the wrathful heads have so far only struck at the 'strong' members of the party. This also explains the baleful heads' obsession with beating Bohw into the ground. Furthermore, seeing the results of the Wrathstrike's fall, you conclude that chopping off the empowered head costs the others of its kind their powers aswell, seeing that the subdued heads appear to be devoid of any of the three hydra aspects.

But you really do not see any obvious way to get the hydra to expose itself. You suspect that the water is quite deep. You could probably swim down and hack at it underwater but that would leave you VERY open to attacks. The heads would easily be able to pluck a swimmer from the water and then rip them apart midair, and who knows if it has claws or any such other nastiness hidden beneath the water aswell? And you dont even know how long the necks are. You think you can say pretty accurately that this situation sucks and, if it wasnt for your goal here, plus the fact that the ghost has barred the only way out, you would seriously consider running away and not looking back. On the other hand, you have held out admirably for this long and you know that your companions still have several tricks ready to play.

(08-04-2013, 02:14 AM)MasterBlade Wrote: »Also Thunderpaw keeps smacking the head around.

You swing your hammer at it, smacking it lamely on the neck for 135 damage! Not exactly your best performance, but atleast you tried, right? (Roll 2+5+2)

(08-04-2013, 03:43 AM)SupahKiven Wrote: »Savannah takes a deep breath, hoping to whatever deity watched over them that she'd be fine, and straightens herself out as best as possible. Bending her legs to ready herself, Savannah sprints forward and shouts out to anyone, mainly Myra, "Might need some help here!"

Savannah jumps, clumsily catching the hilt of the Champion Blade embedded in the Baleful Head's jaw. After dangling from in the air for a few moments, Savannah swings forward, kicking the head's neck and spinning her sword through the hydra's flesh, in an attempt to slice off the Baleful Head. After her body hits the neck, Savannah drops like a rock back into the water.

The Champion Blade was embedded in the previous Baleful Head - the one Mayor ripped off like a badass. Fortunately that particular head happened to fall onto the cavern floor rather than into the water, so you just kind of stroll over and draw The Sword in the Skull. According to some long forgotten bullshit story nobody cares about this would've made you king (queen, really) of a vast kingdom of bone!

But you've got other matters to see to so you just kind of slice at the hydra. Unfortunately, your attack only results in little more than a fleshwound, dealing only 135 damage (roll 1+6+2) and failing to decapitate the head. Well, that was disappointing. Atleast you didnt have to land in the water since the sword was all that much more available.

(08-04-2013, 04:23 AM)Frolic Wrote: »Okay, so apparently they don't like puns. Well the puns don't like them, either. Do anyone ever hear any Hydra puns? This is probably why. Myra shakes her head, highly dismayed by the curses and hexes stacked against her. She's going to have to fix that soon.

Nevertheless, she nods at Savannah, and moves to a better angle for attacking the Baleful Head. She begins the spell, building up a cold blast of blizzard, firing it off at the Baleful Head as soon as Savannah is safe from friendly fire.

You begin casting your spell, but as you do, magic forms in the air above the baleful head, forming into the same spell as what you are casting. Except, it finishes before your spell, turning your surroundings into a sea of whirling ice shards, just as your spell would have done to the hydra head. The frozen shards and the cold gale wind whirling around you deal 285 damage to you, and you are so startled to have your own spell used against you in such a manner that you lose control of the spell you were casting, causing it to fail on top of everything else! (Hit 3+5+2-4 Vs Defense 9)

(08-04-2013, 08:24 AM)BlazerC Wrote: »Barely finding the strength to rise and her face dripping with her own blood, Bohw has trouble steadying herself from the Baleful Head's last attack and falls backwards. Mayor spins around to face her with great concern, but when he sees that familiar black aura begins to envelope her, his concern shifts from her to everyone else.

Fortunately, the transformation is considerably slowed by her mangled sense of direction, instead she lets out some completely incoherent screeching and draws another set of runes from her lying down position, they warp over to the Baleful Head and bind onto it's flesh, stealing a chunk of whatever life force it has left in a single attack.

Mayor breaks his eyes away from Bohw and turns attention to helping the others, diving in the water after Savannah. The water rapidly cools him as he grabs her to stop her from sinking, focusing on keeping her above water and away from any further harm as he carries her back to more shallow water/land.

Though you pour much of your power into trying to drain the life of the head, the woes of the transformation and the severe disorientation disable you from even finding your target! In desperation, and maybe a little from the insanity of your demon side, you instead suck the life from Watson, who is standing nearby being all contemplative. You steal 138 health from him (roll 19-1+3+2)(hit 1).

The Baleful head looms above. You can tell that it gathers itself to finish you off. But as it makes to lunge for you, you see Mayor diving in front of the path of its attack, raising his shield in a guarded stance. Then it barrels into him, mangling him with its massive jaws for 438 damage! Mael takes this opportunity while it is distracted to slash at its neck for 135 damage, his attack striking the same spot Savannah did (roll 3+4+2)! He has hacked through the neck, though only barely. Stunned, the head flops forwards, crashing onto the shore, dead.

The remaining neck splits and two new baleful heads regrow!

Well, shit.

Mayor did manage to guard himself against 144 damage though (roll 15+5).

(08-04-2013, 02:36 PM)Dais Wrote: »"Here we go!" Nos shouts, triumphantly, as he immediately unleashes the spell he just put into the orb. "Save something for me to smash, will you guys?"

You unleash the spell! The magical power surges through the air, surrounding you and flowing through you, granting you +10 to Hit and Damage and most importantly, forming into the shape of a cape hanging from your shoulders, blazing with magical energies and looking totally sweet. You are ready to smash.

Thanks to your particular metabolism, the effect was greatly enhanced, but will only last 2 turns. You'd best set to work with the smashing, because time is all too limited.

---

The Baleflame sets its gaze on Thunderpaw! It roars its fury, before spitting a sphere of molten liquid at him! As it nears, the thing explodes into an inferno of fire, dealing 443 damage to Thunderpaw, mostly by burning his fur!

Two of the subdued heads beat at Mayor, dealing 150 and 113 damage to him.

The last subdued head insistently tries to chew on Mael, but he manages to evade its jaws.

Malediction keeps harrowing Myra, this time spitting a torrent of darkness at her, dealing 360 damage! Myra, in turn, curses the Malediction twice over, once for this attack and once for her stolen spell.

The Malevolent head conjures an entire barrage of magic missiles, priming each of them on Nos, blasting him with immense magical might for a total of 578 damage!

Stats
SpoilerShow

Commentary

SpoilerShow
SpoilerShow

As Watson feels the very life being sucked out of him, he loses his train of thought.

"Was that really necessary?" Watson pleads, not being too fond of magic being used against him.

Watson then remembers what Shanterel told him about pointing the sword in the air for too long. He goes right up to the hydra, as close as possible without falling in the water, and simply points his Greatsword up to the ceiling for awhile, trying to see if anything happens.

If nothing happens, Watson will still have been in a defensive stance a little ways in front of Bohw.
The dark aura finally consumes Bohw her appearance changing to her hellbent form as she rises back to her feet. She doesn't have any time for theatrics however, immediately flying straight into the middle of the fight and raising a hand to conjure a spear of darkness.

"I've had enough!!" She exclaims furiously, glaring down the Baleflame.

Mayor stays right behind Bohw however, sticking to her like a shadow. He does not let the girl out of his sight for a moment, ready to jump her the instant he sees Bohw turn to attack a friend. It pains him to do this but he must remain diligent, Mayor will not hold back to stop her, even if it means the harm of Bohw.