We chat about videogames and videogame accessories.

Poll: Videogames or videogame accesories?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
vidgajames
85.53%
65 85.53%
accesories
14.47%
11 14.47%
Total 76 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

We chat about videogames and videogame accessories.
RE: We chat about videogames and videogame accessories.
I took advantage of the fact that this semester is over to finish off Half-Life for the first time. (Not HL: Source, since that one doesn’t have an Mac port just yet and I wanted to take it on the road.) Some observations:

SpoilerShow

e: Whoa, that looked smaller in the quick-reply.
sea had swallowed all. A lazy curtain of dust was wafting out to sea
hahhhhh I still need to play the half-life games.

but
but my friend showed me Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon on PC and jfc dat gameplay

(I am secretly actually pretty good at everything but RTS and flight sims/mech games and I'm bad at those because I can never remember all the shortcuts/keep track of all my units/etc)

I could probably learn to play DOTA but I can't figure out where the bloody tutorial is

not having to actually CONTROL my entire army manually I can do, it's <remembering to not focus only on what I'm currently controlling in real time> that's the problem.

Give me Strategy and give me Real Time action, but ask me to send individual commands to multiple groups of units simultaneously? haha no

To put it another way I kick ass at normal chess, not speed chess

seperate note: TWEWY is fun, but it's sort of a bitch to 100%; also honestly the control scheme turned out meh - 95% of the time, you can either leave the partner on auto or just mash one direction the whole fight, and once you get strong enough attacks and equips most fights become a joke.

almost everything in the game is definitely non-traditional tho
(05-15-2013, 02:37 AM)Superfrequency Wrote: »
(05-14-2013, 10:27 PM)Nopad Wrote: »i played it when i was in the summer after eighth grade

Jesus christ, I feel old Meloncholy
and i'm old enough to buy land now
(05-15-2013, 08:35 AM)Red709 Wrote: »(I am secretly actually pretty good at everything but RTS and flight sims/mech games and I'm bad at those because I can never remember all the shortcuts/keep track of all my units/etc)
I have a couple of friends who play MWO quite a bit (they are in one of the older Merc Corps...). I got a little overwhelmed by the strangeness of it all, but still managed to get a few decent rounds.

Try it. Then instead of trying to manage your whole team, you’ll can just get annoyed by randoms you get teamed with not doing anything smart!
If you have issues with the graphics and such BRPXQZME, I'd recommend trying black mesa instead.
HD remake is good remake, and free to boot!
I looked at it before starting, but figured I’ll do Black Mesa some other time. Maybe when they’ve finished the whole thing / gone completely linkdead / been added to Steam (/ required my services [!?]). The goal here is to be fully familiar with the mythos as I have half an eye on keeping half an eye on Valve Software.

For now, I’ve just about had it with HL1 and will be doing the spinoffs.

e: In a crazy coincidence, tomorrow is supposed to be the 2013 minus “200-”-th anniversary of the Black Mesa Incident.
https://operationrainfall.com/press-rele...for-zelda/

Ok so this thing is loaded with notes that say "These aren't promises" and "It's just an idea" but the article was sent to them by Nintendo

and
what I wouldn't give for a Wind Waker with the triforce sailing part removed and the cut dungeons put back in
It would also mean doing extra work, which is something i doubt they're willing to do.
[Image: iqVkAVO.gif]
And I would be perfectly fine with that (EDIT: The redesigning a third of the game bit)

I'm pretty okay with the idea that you need to collect money in a game with at least a secondary focus on treasure hunting, which is the main purpose of the Tingle Fuckyou Quest, but there's literally nothing non-tedious about the whole thing and really drags down the game. When a map leads to another map, its not called fun, its called National Treasure.

A part of that tediousness could have been alleviated simply with the inclusion of a BANK though, with some item incentive to keep some Rupees in there long-term, so that a player who blew all his coin on gardening everything in sight has some kicked back so he don't gotta flip every couch in Ocean Hyrule to pay the bastard. That actually isn't my experience, I'm a serial money hoarder, but I'm not everybody.
For some reason I feel like protecting the useless islands is opposite to creating a better Wind Waker. Another problem I had with the game was the 1:1 Island to Map Space ratio that they clung to so steadfastly. Would it kill them to have a more natural feeling landscape? Are we expected to be so lacking in brain power that a 5-foot island needs 10 miles of space to its namesake? Outside of the Triangle Islands+Tower of the Gods, there really isn't a point to it outside of being clean and neat, and there's no rule against keeping the the Triangle Islands+Tower of Gods as is and also drastically changing the rest of the oceanscape.

I mean why not have a Fairy Seashell Summer Home a bit off the coast of Windfall, why not have Crescent Island off the edge of one of the dumb dice reef things, why not put the Cannon game a bit closer to Mother and Child Isle?
Again, like every other time the words HD Remix are posted on this thread, i must say i'd very much prefer to see a sequel or a similar game with the unused ideas implemented instead of slapping them on an already finished product. It sounds a lot more plausible.
[Image: iqVkAVO.gif]
Me, I'd be fully on-board on just a complete redo of Wind Waker. Its a great game in spite of crippling flaws that exist at its base, so I would certainly like to see it (And not a sequel or carbon copy) with those flaws fixed.

As opposed to say, Skyward Sword, which I would hope they just do a straight sequel if they want to revisit it because of its crippling flaws at pretty much every level. Or say, Link's Awakening, which pretty much nailed its ceiling on the first try, whatever your opinion of its ceiling happens to be.
IIRC, the triforce pieces are all underwater and reached by crane or something, right? If you want to add minidungeons, just replace the crane with a diving suit and have Link enter floating dungeons or ones on the ocean floor.
Oxygen tube length, or oxygen tank capacity, or needing a way to be able to conveniently leave the bottom the ocean. Hell, not even the bottom of the ocean! The normal islands are probably parts of mountain ranges whose less-impossible-to-scale mountains contain ancient sunken monasteries too. Hell, the submerged Deku Tree probably has a buttload of aquatic flora growing in that could be (in)conveniently puzzletastic.

They'd figure out a way to do it if they wanted to. Which they probably don't. But they could.
Now I beat Half-Life: Opposing Force. Hey, nothing says de-stressing like a genre that involves more adrenaline than you can handle! Less need for cheats in this one; it is a bit easier and there is far less platforming to screw up speedrunning your way out of a bad sitch (and practically no platforming while fighting off swarms of things).

Might be weaker than the first in plenty of respects, and surely they would have a hard time bringing back very much from it in the future, but it was a decent gaiden-type story that adequately explained the goings-on at Black Mesa after
SpoilerShow
I certainly don’t blame anyone who likes this one more than the first; there are plenty of things to like more (cool weapons! the idle animation where Shephard pets the Spore Launcher is both heartwarming and disturbing).

While much has already been said about the similarity between the final boss of this game and that of a certain more recent Gearbox offering, I just discovered it for myself.
SpoilerShow

As far as expansion packs go, this one of the better ones I’ve played. It’s more of the same with enough difference to keep it from being pointlessly the same. In fact, it’s pretty much a whole new game; it just shares a lot of assets with the first. Not that anyone would be making a decision based on this, but I have to prattle about something, I just do.
I honestly don't understand the point in making an HD version of the most well aged game in the series.
[Image: tumblr.png] [Image: signature.gif] [Image: sig.gif]
They ported a game released less than three years ago to 3DS, so really, is it that surprising?
and they ported a DS game to the ipad even though they had to fundamentally change the gameplay which was largely based on the philosophy presented by the game

circle of life baby
remember when they preceded that announcement with a big week-long countdown that every single gaming journalist in the industry predicted was a sequel

good times.
[Image: tumblr.png] [Image: signature.gif] [Image: sig.gif]
the funny part was when other companies did that AFTER they did it even though it was immediately proven to be a terrible idea

like watching the news networks spread a trend ripple
I never heard about this. huh

why would you do that tho

hmmm

hey
hey what if Nintendo did like
a package deal 3ds Metroid remake collection

put Zero Mission, II, Super Metroid, and Fusion - all remade with flashy graphic/classic graphic options - all together on one cartridge. Of course it'll never happen because nintendo won't let me throw money at them
no don't touch Fusion's graphics they're already perfect
Or Zero Mission for that matter

to be honest Super Metroid doesn't need much changing on top of that, sprites after a certain point don't really age unless they've been upscaled when they didn't need to be?
the four games chronologically between 1 and 2 are prime and that shitty one by team ninja I thought

tho really just give me zero mission and fusion or even just a portable super metroid and I'll take it

I mean, I did buy MMZ collection

actually hell just straightport the graphics like with MMZ collection, they're already glorious

I just haven't seen any of the three in so long I keep forgetting how good the sprites still look
prime and other m/fusion are separate canons IIRC
no? Fusion is the last one chronologically, Primes are supposedly before Super Metroid, and Other M is directly linked to Fusion in that "commander Adam" or w/e his name is is the computer on Samus's ship from Fusion

E: misread the Other M thing but I did once see a canon timeline thingy and supposedly Prime games were somehow between Metroid II and Super Metroid...