[IC] Swords Beneath the Starlight

[IC] Swords Beneath the Starlight
RE: [IC] Swords Beneath the Starlight
Barnabas raised an eyebrow.

[Image: nMexSPx.png]

"He spoke... Wow." He thought a little about that, someone that had literally once spoken to a deity. That was interesting. "Well. It seems like either way, if there is going to be anyone to stand against the rise of Progress, it would be the King of Lions then?" He asked, a little disheartened that his own specific kin were likely... only likely to take part in any form of war to help the exiles because of a chance for bloodshed.

----

Inna bit, Barnabas would step aside with Airitech hopefully

"So..." He began, a curious look at Airitech, then continued. "Ossory then. I've never been but... I feel like perhaps it could be familiar in some ways? I apologise if we haven't talked much." He said, offering out a hand, the shape of it slightly odd.
"Don't get me started on Henchmen."
Milo stares in stunned silence until Mazelina speaks out about exactly what had left him reeling.  That breaks him out of his stupor.

[Image: N34quH2.png]
"Yeah, is... that real?  How old would they even have to be?"
For once in her life, Sunny remains relatively quiet, allowing herself to be healed and quietly taking in her surroundings. Once the in depth discussion begins however, Sunny drifts further and further away from the front of the group, hands clasped behind her head. Dealing with this scenario wasn't something she wanted or needed to do. She'd pledged her services, and she planned to stick to that promise. But blind loyalty didn't include listening to politics, so Sunny chose to wander off. There's definitely more fun stuff to look at elsewhere.

Sunny is spending some time just... looking around when she hears Casey call out to her. Her eyes light up as he approaches.

[Image: 1YHEHWt.png]

"Greetings!" She calls out, face falling into a comfortable grin, "I must admit, I've been wandering around for a good amount of time, and I'm not sure I've seen but a quarter of the sights here. I'll be the first to say that I'm very surprised!" She motions with her arm at the castle in general. "How has your tour been? I've not spoken to any of the... inhabitants here, so I'll admit I'm a little lost!"
Casey & Sunny.
[Image: casey_novice_smile.png]

"Is that so? Well, if you need a guide back to where we were I can lend a hand. I'm sure I haven't seen anywhere close to the whole of this place, but I'm confident I've got a handle on the places I've already been."

[Image: casey_novice.png]

"To be honest though, I'm surprised to see you up and about! I admit I was....concerned, at the end of that battle."
Sunny & Casey

[Image: tmShrTw.png]

"Right," Sunny says simply, "Yes, that was quite the spill I took out there."

[Image: twesNZy.png]

"No need to worry about me too much, though! Magical healing is quite the convenience and I feel perfectly fine now!" She pauses for a second before continuing. "You needn't concern yourself with me too much. However... I appreciate the concern." She taps at her chin in thought. "I should formally thank Mazelina as well. I shouldn't be worrying the healer so much, should I?"
Airitech turns to Barnabas.

"Hrm?"

[Image: SU9sSSr.png]

"Guess so, I mean. We're cut from the same cloth, so t'speak, aye? Tho' you hafta specify what sort of familiarty, friend."

Airitech takes the slightly misshapen hand and...shakes, he guess?
There was something odd about the muscles and joints in the hand, but, a quick shake and the hand came back. Barnabas wasn't too comfortable with handshakes, but it was a beorc thing.

"You have a familiar scent." He said bluntly, looking away slightly, preferring not to be facing Airitech directly during the talk. "And you mentioned there are ties between Ossory and the Wolf-Kingdom. I'm curious."
[Image: SU9sSSr.png]

"Eh, hrm." Airitech takes a bit to consider. "Yes. As t'word goes, that Ossory was founded by t'Vulpine King, Artoria. She be a wolf but she founded Ossory as a beorc-kingdom than a laguz-kingdom. Interesting, eh? Dunno how ye guys view her, though."
Milo, Mazelina, Barnabas, and Anyone Still Interested in Madoc

[Image: iLKK99y.png]

"It is well-known among Laguz. He is an important religious figure, and has been for over one-thousand years. He is a Manakete - a dragon laguz, in other words. He and his family are among the last of them. He speaks only rarely nowadays, but from what I know of my history, he was once a very important figure for both our people. Alas, the distance between us seems to have allowed him to fade into memory for you beorc. A tragedy, the history lost to memory and war."

He nods towards Barnabas. "That is my belief, and my fellow Kings hope to get you in contact with her. Her reputation will likely demand she helps you, provided you announce your plight publicly. I'd say the best one to do it would be a member of the cloth, or perhaps someone who saw the violence directly - though I imagine that's quite a lot of you. My condolences. If you end up have a meeting with the Lion King, mayhaps she will see fit to show you to the Prophet's tower. It is a great honor to be even that close to his chambers. Whatever you do, though, be careful not to ask to meet with him. She guards him jealously, and might begin questioning your motives."

Casey

After a bit of searching, you track down Dorian.

[Image: VOoPAvA.png]

"Hey - caught me leaving, did you? Or did you get bored of the prattling preener too?"

He smiles. "Laguz history's fine and all, but goddess does he go on."

Logan

Once you've separated from the group, be that now or some undesignated point in the future, you feel a pair of eyes on your back. When you turn to see who it is, you see the strange, ethereal fellow from earlier - Alexis, you think? They speak in a quiet, wispy voice, as expected.

[Image: knuaLZd.png]

"You... are a rider as well, yes? Of a creature of the sky?"

Baylee

The moment you split from the group (whenever that may be), you feel a pair of eyes fixated upon you from right in front. You feel strongly as if the lady standing across the room is staring at you - which makes some degree of sense, because it definitely looks that way too, and when you enter she approaches.

[Image: fMXbbys.png]

"Hey! Need to talk to you for a moment, if you've got it in you after that fight."

Sunny

Sometime before or after you talk to Casey, Roland approaches you.

"Excuse me, miss Sunny. I had some questions I've been meditating on, if you've the time to answer them."

Airitech

While you're strolling along, you hear a sharp voice calling out from behind you. You turn around to find Lucrezia the spy on your (maybe literal???) tail.
[Image: ZZGYz5q.png]

"Hey. Got a moment?"

She doesn't sound like she's actually asking.

Milo

Whenever you happen to be finished with your other obligations, you get a tap on the shoulder. Without even looking, you can tell the finger that poke belongs you is incredibly meaty, probably attached to an equally muscular body.
[Image: 5wuzLcZ.png]

"Oi lad. A moment fer ol' Dermid?"

Mazelina

Once you're alone, you suddenly find you're not actually alone!

You turn around to look at who's approaching you and find Lys. She nearly jumps once your eyes land on her.
[Image: wlddtaz.png]

"Oh! Um-- s-sorry for um... surprising you? And being quiet. I... oh, I just... thought maybe we should talk??? Um. If that's okay."

It is important to note that she is unlikely to have actually surprised you. You could hear her feet slapping on stone from the moment she turned the corner, unless you were lost in thought.

Saya

After you hover on away from the meeting, you find your chill wing-flapping voyage interrupted by a very loud voice.

[Image: 6pxYp3c.png]

"Hail, friend, and very well met! It is I, Abner Gallante! You will remember me from the battlefield, I hope?" He grins. "Speaking of hail, it is good to be seeing you hale and hearty! I trust that last battle treated you kindly?"

Barnabas

Some time after you're done with your conversation with Airitech, you find yourself face to face with Lain.
[Image: zMjNchQ.png]

"Excuse me, sir. Do you... mind if I speak with you? I know it's quite late already, but-- I had... concerns, I suppose."
[Image: LgqK4Uf.png]

Logan turns with a start, still working through the last shreds of panic from almost getting murdered by a giant bird today. "Oh! Aye, hello, that's me. Uh, Logan. I don't think I... introduced myself to ye? Maybe I did?"
Barnabas seemed conflicted, irritated at not being able to not directly ask to meet this prophet in the future, but, understood. A dragon laguz though... They featured rarely in Exile legends, but, their wisdom and powers were well known. The rare tribe of their kin blessed with other magics. "Well... Maybe in some stories, but, yes. I hadn't made a link from my knowledge of his family to any tales in my home. Thank you for your advice on meeting the Lion King, we would wish to speak well with her, I'm sure." He said properly, politely. He studied Madoc as they talked, doing his best to watch out for any oddness to him or social cues he could follow.

Airitech

Barnabas considered, eyes twitching lightly, pupils darting towards Airitech and away, sniffing. He seemed perhaps more... comfortable with Airitech's presence, some small signs of tension or inner carefulness fading "There are some tales involving a name like Artoria I know of. A warrior, a diplomat, a priest, exiled even from our own lands, or left out of love for a beorc or on a divine mission from the gods." He explained, thinking about the tales the different wolf packs had told, variants of history repeated and discussed, to entertain and remember. "I liked the warrior ones myself, in my youth.But I started appreciating the tragedy and romance of the other ones later. If she's the same we speak of, opinion would be divided? I would only know the stories about her I'm afraid, and tales of Laguz-kin afar."

Lain

Barnabas blinked at her, and slowly nodded, subtly adjusting himself as he stepped to the side against a wall to talk with her. "Yes Lady Lain? How can I help?" His voice rumbled softly, curious and willing to listen, as he put his hands behind his back and leaned forward slightly. As big as he was, his posture remained politely submissive, no aggression in his large eyes, a careful attentiveness.
Baylee to Adara

Baylee straightens into a more alert posture at the approaching of Adara. Her hackles are raised, but not as much as the first encounter.

“HMph, ‘course I have it in me, I only got a couple scratches myself.” She says, dusting her shoulder off and following her to a private place to talk. “ So whatsit about?”
Airitech to Barnabas

"Opinions would be divided, yessire. We can't really know how a person's real motives and whatnot, that jest how it be on this bitch of a earth sometimes."

Airitech's stench dampens a little. He wasn't really stinky per se, but there was an aura that riles both beorc and laguz alike, that isn't really quite under his conscious control.

"Still..we can get close t' it. By askin' around, I guess. Every lil' bit counts. What sorta tales you got involving her? I admit I'm intrigued."

---

Airitech to Lucrezia

Yeah, Airitech probably has a ornament on his tush.

"...Yeah." Airitech said, cautiously. "Is it somethin' of a sensitive sort? Or just be casual talk."
Milo freezes up when Dermid speaks, but he quickly recovers, giving a slightly strained smile as he turns.

"Ah, of course, sir Dermid.  What can I help you with?"
Luckily, Mazelina doesn't mind the interruption! Or, rather, doesn't even consider it an interruption. When she sees Lys, Maz blinks and does seem momentarily confused, but quickly smiles thereafter! Not startled so much as surprised Lys is trying to talk at all!

[Image: a078853c10c8af81ed7398825416c7c0421d25a9.png]
"I would love to!" At that, she motions to another nearby chair, her eyes scrunching. "What is it you would like to talk about? I am an open book, my friend."
Logan

They nod gently.

[Image: knuaLZd.png]

"Alexis. The creatures we ride are... quite different from one another, but I feel there is kinship to be found in the skies all the same. I wonder if you would agree..."

They think on that for a moment, less asking and more musing, before continuing.

"What are your goals? Why do you travel with this party?"

Barnabas

Lain studies you for a moment before speaking.
[Image: zMjNchQ.png]

"...You seemed... disturbed earlier. In our meeting with Madoc. I... wanted to inquire as to why, and perhaps offer you what support I can. If it's welcome, I mean."

Baylee

Your anger seems to inspire only a chuckle in Adara. This lady's unshakable.

[Image: fMXbbys.png]

"So. You got all hostile earlier when the Dear Prince started levying his accusations. I was wondering why. You don't seem like some stuffy blueblood, so I'm trying to figure out your angle."

Airitech

She closes the distance between you with alarming speed. Her voice barely raises above a whisper.

"Depends on who you ask, and what you have to say. I've been watching you-- your whole group, really-- since we joined up together. I've got a list of suspect individuals, and you're right at the top. I'll make this quick: I don't buy the swamp-hermit shtick you're trying to sell with that getup. You walk around like a man with a burden. Like a man with shame crawling up his spine. I can't let a man like that near the prince without further investigation. You can tell me what it is you're hiding, or I can find out on my own. Your choice."

Milo

When you see the man's face, it's not as hard or jovial as it usually is. There's something... soft. Sympathetic, there.

"Nothin' much, lad-- just wanted t'be havin' a chat. Watched ye fightin' out there. Yer damn good with a lance! Where'd you learn to fight?"

Mazelina

Lysistrate starts twiddling her fingers, completely unable to make eye contact with you.

"Um-- I just-- wanted to compliment your healing! You're really graceful, and precise, and seem to really know what you're doing out there. I think it's really really admirable, honestly!"
Barnabas and Lain

Barnabas frowned for a moment, grumpiness about the matter showing through and he looked away, shooting his expression into the floor.

"Disturbed?... Yes, I suppose that is a word for it..." his voice rumbled deeply, shades of anger bleeding into it, a minuscule spread of fur encroached over his skin. "I find that my people from afar are barbaric killers, a homeland of ancient heritage of my tribe, overrun by those who worship the act of spilling blood rather than the reasons why it must be done. That view your kind as the worst of yours view us. Little more than walking meat. Evil runs through them hot and unrestrained and this is so perversely common and matter of fact by those of good that it is seen as an unfortunate reality that they commit moral crimes that debase them gleefully. The first time I see my kin in months after my family fled from slavers and pillagers and raiders, from the burning and theft of my home, with only the absent gods mercy to protect them, after my own failure to protect any of them, forced to run from them too lest join them in chains, and then, finally, my own blood tried to eat me!" The words twisted ferally in his extending mouth towards the end.

Barnabas's features were fighting against shifting, hands clenched into themselves as the nails grew as he spoke, rage and hurt and pain spilling out from him, like a scab picked off too early, raw and bleeding. Wild and wide grey eyes turned to Lain, and regret and fear instantly filled them, shrinking away from her.

Airitech and Barnabas

He sniffed the air, his hackles rising a bit, giving Airitech another odd, confused look.

"Like I said, nothing definitive. The general gist is either before or after she was exiled, she fell in with beorcs, and her sympathies aligned with them. In some she carved out her own realm to rule, more about egotism after a slight in her own lands, in others it was merely the act of love between her and a beorc soldier, and with that love their blood spread down through generations. A few were about the hope that one day through her deeds and rule, she could construct a bridge between our people again."
Airitech to Barnabas

"Maybe all those stories are to be true. Just facets of a single wolf, hah!"

"Hrm. Well beyond shared tales, I dunno what similarities there are in like yer former(?) homeland and good ol' Ossory, considerin' I never went to wolf-country before. However, at least I can tell you what Ossory like, yessire."

"Anyhoo, Ossory is like...forest-y, swamp-y, kinda scary-arse wet nonsense. We have a fair share of like, weird-as-shit monsters in our folklore. But like, between you and me, that'd might just be them magic-people doin' some wild bullshit, or them laguz sightings as-sim-ul-at-ed into them cultural memories. Speakin' of them laguz, we still do have some laguz around scurryin' in our Exile-Forests? But we don't really bother them. Not out of SUPERSTITION, mind ye. But like, rude to knock on people's doors wit'out some purpose and warnin'."

"Mebbe if we go to Ossory for some reason, you could meet fellow wolf-men who won't immediately eat you. And ye could slum at Ossory if ye want a permament home, someday."

--

Airitech to Lucrezia

Airitech is confused!

"--My tail, I guess?"

Airitech then gets a lil' mad! His stinkiness rises.

"Hey now, Lucrezia. I am not tryin' to hide anything in particular." Airitech retorted, a little insulted. "I mean, I might be the sole representative of Ossory 'round these parts, but I believe I have t'right to be a trusted member of this team, 'specially since all our goddess-damn countries had fell to Revotria and their poncy-Progressive ways!"

"What ye wanna know exactly? Ask and ye shall know the truth wit'out resortin' to harsher measures."
A lack of eye contact doesn't bother Mazelina. She's content to stare ahead, not burdening Lys with the weight of her stare.

"Thank you, Lysistrate." Her smile grows, and she leans back, exhaling. "Though the same very much goes to you, as well. It's nice to have another healer around. Do you...mind if I ask you a potentially personal question? It's regarding your behaviour." After a moment she realizes how anxiety-inducing that lead-in could be, and adds, "not anything I'm bothered by, mind! I'm just worried about you."
Sunny and Roland

Sunny's face lights up as Roland approaches, and she offers a peppy salute.

[Image: 1YHEHWt.png]

"Salutations, your highness! I would adore answering any questions you might have to the best of my ability. I am your loyal fount of knowledge!"
Casey and Dorian

[Image: casey_novice_smug.png]

Casey chuckles at Dorian's jab, shrugging slightly. "S'pose it's a mix of both! I noticed you and Alex had disappeared, figured finding out why would be just as interesting as waiting around for Madoc to finish. On top of that, I'd actually like to ask you a couple of things. Have you got time for a chat?"

Casey and Sunny

It's difficult not to note Sunny's sudden change in tone. Just as quickly, she shifts back to her usual self. Curious.

[Image: casey_novice_smile.png]

"Don't mention it," Casey replies, waving off Sunny's concern with a smile. "I know you can handle yourself out there, but it's still a bit....unnerving, seeing a friend come to harm. That ain't something you should feel bad for, mind. Just another un-pleasantry of war, I reckon."
Milo frowns when Dermid asks his question.  He takes a moment to answer.

"A... lot of places, I guess.  I grew up poor and not in the best of places for it.  Sometimes had to fight off the greedy, or desperate."

Another pause.

[Image: Milo1.png]
"I got some practice soldiering too, enough to learn the basics, at least.  It... well it didn't end up being for me.  It's not something I like to think about, and I'm not proud of it... but it got me here now, and that's something."

Milo then forces a smile before continuing.

"Besides, I'm hardly much next to you or Sir Abner.  Proper soldiers.  I just keep falling behind and being not much good for anything but taking a hit."
Saya listens intently to the information about the Prophet and the Manaketes. It's interesting to them, but after a while they wander off, deep in thought. Abner's words startle them.

[Image: f3e2387c872f7290577e2aa85803e3b2.png]

"Oh! Yes, you're one of the knights of Renault, right? The battle was fierce, but I avoided getting too beat up."

They grin and pound their chest.

"Of course, a great warrior like me won't be thwarted by a few wounds anyway!"

Saya looks to Abner.

"So, what do you think of the Kingdom laguz? To be frank, they're much different from what I expected."
Current Projects:
Human space is at war, and we're all caught up in it - Scattered Stars

A woman chases another through the snow, but where will their path lead them? - Footprints in the snow
[Image: 87fc36c5855e7f7b10aa7447985b56ae633ee8bb.png]
"Yer right, I'm not a blue blood. But I'm not to keen on groups who like ta stomp all over the little folk. The ruling class, the bandits, the raiders, whatever they do, the small and vulnerable people get caught in the cross fire in some way." She sighs. " I get other people have reasons for joinin' those types of groups, but sometimes I jus think if they found the right group of people, they would all jus take care of each other, money be damned, ya know? But that ain't the way things work. So the people who do want to live peacefully and help each other are kicked over by stronger factions. It just makes me angry." She adds this last part as a mumble. "That was prolly a rough bunch of words, I hope I said all that right..."
Barnabas

Lain doesn't flinch, doesn't back down. She simply closes her eyes and thinks for a moment.
[Image: TiA3SsN.png]

"I can... I can relate to how dreadful that must feel. To count yourself among a class of people who exploit and pillage wherever they go; to look at those you share history with and see only a cadre of bandits. But they are not you -- you may both be Laguz, you may both be wolves, but they have no bearing on your life. They haven't lived as you have, and they cannot make your decisions for you. You may have fled the battlefield and found wickedness among those who share these traits with you, but in a sense, you've found new kin, too, right? Kin among the dispossessed, the frightened, and the fleeing. I think that's richer and more powerful than a kindred bond forged by blood and birth."

Airitech

Lucrezia puffs a tuft of hair out from her face, arms retreating into her cloak in a manner that is at least a little frightening.

"Hah. You think your being from Ossory matters to me? That I'm some bigot, judging you on your parentage? Let me be very clear, then: no. Those in my line of work can't afford to let prejudice cloud their judgment. Not if they want to be good at their jobs. People like me have to know where to keep their eyes glued, how to accurately assess a threat. If you're some idiot who thinks all Laguz are a threat, you miss the Beorc with a knife in your client's ribs."

Her eyes narrow. It sure feels like she's staring those daggers you know she has under that cloak into you.

"I want to know what you're hiding. What you're ashamed of. What you've done. I want to know if you're a threat to the Prince. That's it."

Mazelina

Lys nods emphatically! It seems she's eager to put you at ease.

"C-Certainly! I mean, certainly not? I would be happy to answer your questions, ma'am, is what I meant to say!"

Sunny

Roland chuckles to himself, a rare display of gaiety from the ever-serious prince.
[Image: SCCQxLo.png]

"Glad to see I've found you well! I heard you took some scrapes in that last battle. I hope you're treating yourself accordingly - magic may heal the body, but it doesn't cure fatigue. To get to the point, though, I was just wondering -- how was it you did what you did? I mean, joining up with this little band. I don't mean logistically -- I can't imagine it was incredibly hard -- but... how were you able to work up the courage to deliver yourself into the hands of people who, under any other circumstances, would undoubtedly be your enemies?"

Casey

Dorian nods without hesitation.

[Image: VOoPAvA.png]

"Yeah. I think I'd be good for a chat. Don't know how much I can answer that'll be of help to you, though - I imagine I'm as lost and confused as the rest of you."

Milo

Dermid snorts.

"Hardly met any urchins what protected 'emselves with a spear, but you must've done yerself good with it. Not much versus little Abner? Hah! I've my doubts, lad -- I'd be willing to bet you could match him in no time, with a wee bit of practice, maybe some time on a horse. Nae, no putting yerself down, laddie -- we've got no time for any of that hereabouts."

He pauses a moment before speaking again, tender and kind.

"Soldiering, though? With who, if you don't mind my asking? Again, I hardly know any armies in the whole League what teach that kind of fightin'."

Saya

Abner BEAMS when you remember him, and his face shines only brighter when you announce yourself as a fellow warrior!

[Image: 6pxYp3c.png]

"Hah! A fellow after my own heart!! Right-ho, my good companion! So long as the blood of heroes pumps through our veins, none will put us down!"

Then he arrives at your second question, which leaves him thinking a moment.

"...Hmm... I suppose they haven't really defied my expectations? Mostly because I had none to begin with! It hardly suits one to have expectations of people one hasn't met yet, right? Assess every foe and ally head-on, that's the way of the chevalier! Why? What did you expect, my good companion?"

Baylee

Adara's head droops for a moment, and her shoulders begin shaking. For a moment, you think perhaps you've made her weep-- until she can contain herself no longer and bursts out into uproarious laughter.

[Image: MDwphtF.png]

"Pffffthaha!!! Hah! Bandits trampling the wee folk?! Oh, sweet naive village girl -- we are the little people! What, some high-born prince makes it sound like we stomp about burning villages and you just believe him? No! We've never raided a caravan that wasn't noble-run, never shed blood that wasn't blue, and never taken anything anyone would starve without. Bandits? Yeah, we're bandits, sure enough -- but only in the eyes of the powerful, the rich, and the coddled!"

She wipes a tear from her eye, finally managing to silence her guffawing.

"No, little village girl, none of us came from the lap of luxury, and none of us would dream of putting others in the sorts of situations we found ourselves in. Bandits -- REAL bandits -- are just as much our enemies as the nobles. See, if you ask us, instead of some hoity-toity princeling, you'll find we don't particularly think of ourselves as bandits. We see ourselves as the future. A revolutionary army ain't gonna make much progress if they prey on the people they're looking to save, now are they?"