This is gonna be the thread where we talk about stuff

This is gonna be the thread where we talk about stuff
RE: This is gonna be the thread where we talk about stabs
SpoilerShow
Last edited by Mod-S4; 05-20-2012 at 05:23 AM. Reason: Please do not post your size for opinions. Thanks.
g0m no edit as depicted above appears in the history of the Eagle article. You clearly just previewed it and then screencapped the preview.

You will never make the Eagle Time Special Vandalization Squad if you don't actually show some backbone and publish your vandalism.
But Ix we need g0m!

REGIONALS ARE COMING UP
(04-27-2012, 01:28 AM)Ixcaliber Wrote: »g0m no edit as depicted above appears in the history of the Eagle article. You clearly just previewed it and then screencapped the preview.

You will never make the Eagle Time Special Vandalization Squad if you don't actually show some backbone and publish your vandalism.

Did you check the sandbox?
aw dangit really
i changed all the links to redirect to the article on sexual intercourse and everything
Last edited by Mod-S4; 05-20-2012 at 05:23 AM. Reason: Please do not post your size for opinions. Thanks.
oh fuck i forgot about regionals!

g0m your back on the team,

now quick sing a peppy duet with mehg about what this whole experience has taught you
DO A BARREL ROLL DO A BARREL ROLL

(Get it its a Peppy duet)
This post is about rage comics and other meme's. DMZ more like DMV.
Wheat you know full well my post was not about a meme it was about the pun

I want full public apology

And a parade

Or so god I will ruin everything
Hot Dang, I know where I am going for the summer!!!
Someone should tell that poor girl that her tag is still on her skirt

Also one of them doesn't have arms???
(05-01-2012, 07:01 PM)Mehgamehn Wrote: »Someone should tell that poor girl that her tag is still on her skirt

Also one of them doesn't have arms???

You probably don't need to tell the girl she doesn't have arms, I'd assume that not having arms is quite hard for you to miss or forget.
Well if she didn't know, I'm sure it would be quite alARMing
At least she has all those friends with her so if she ever needs to do anything that requires the use of manipulating limbs, they can lend her a hand
Megh, your ARM meme makes me sick. I'm gonna give us all a chance to just forget about it.
Forget what?
(05-02-2012, 01:57 AM)btp Wrote: »Megh, your ARM meme makes me sick. I'm gonna give us all a chance to just forget about it.

I am THIS CLOSE from crying in the corner of the room

Try me punk
Owning things is pretty fucking sweet
I want to own all the things
(05-02-2012, 06:18 AM)Wheat Wrote: »Some things are good owned, like parts of a body, but not too many. If you have more than one heart, you don't really need it! You are contributing to waste in society with extra hearts. Also, don't forget to recycle when you are done with them. You do not need to own organs in the grave/pyre.

[font=fancy script font]Ownership: sure, don't go overboard[font]

I think this guy would disagree somewhat
(living organs contained within spoiler - not for the squeamish maybe)
SpoilerShow

(05-02-2012, 05:19 AM)Superfrequency Wrote: »Eaglets

What is your opinion on Owning Things

Or People Who Enjoy Owning Things

gettin' philosophical

I don't own many things because sometimes I can't bother acquiring things. But owning things is okay. That said, some things are best left unowned.

People who enjoy owning things I'm not so happy about, I prefer people who only own things they enjoy, and that's why I only own a couple different pants.
I think that money does not equal happiness, but because of how the world works we kind of need it to do anything.
I don't really get a lot of things about the world, but I don't think that Owning Things is bad, I guess that some people would prefer that you use your money to Advance in Life, as if there was some Higher Level of living that you NEED to get to.
I think it has to do with the misconception that everyone who likes Owning Media is the sort who goes and spends their money on that and then whines about not having a better place to live, eat, sleep.

But I don't know!
Another thing has to do with the thought that you need to save money and that all of the money being spent on Things could be saved. I mean, I am not going to buy anything now that I bought my Cucumber Quest Book, I'm not planning on buying anything soon (although I do want to gift someone Bastion that would be all of my remaining cash monies ;A;) but that is only because I am going to scrounge up some bux to buy a 3DS to replace my dying babby DS Lite!
Gettin' money (along with possessions) is a good feeling because it means you have succeeded in some way. You have progressed in a tangible form.

The reason why "Money doesn't buy happiness" though is because if you sacrifice something along the way that means more than money (LIKE THE POWER OF FRIENDSHIP, OR OH NOES YOUR SELF-DIGNITY), then the progress will feel shallow.

Plus, there's the matter of BLOWING money which is an awful awful feeling.
The idea is that money can't buy long-term happiness, and that the accumulation of wealth itself isn't a sensible goal in terms of achieving happiness.

There's a fair amount of not-pseudointellectual literature that supports the idea, but a basic concept worth familiarizing oneself with is the idea of hedonic set points. It's fairly new research (as research goes anyway, the basic ideas are older than any of us) so there are still some problems with theory and documentation, but it tends to hold up fairly well.

Of course, the aphorism dates back to a time when the idea of happiness wasn't even the same as we conceive it now; throughout the history of humanity and the diversity of culture, there's never been a single monolithic idea of happiness. The idea that money can't buy it stemmed from a point when happiness was supposed to be the contemplation of the divine and a life lived virtuously: in that sort of a framework, money certainly wasn't getting you in with God and in all likelihood you'd had to do some immoral, unethical, or at least unscrupulous things to accumulate a significant quantity of it.

In any case, it's a little bit... silly... to take a phrase like "money can't buy happiness" and interpret it – and argue against it – as "money is immaterial to happiness and purchases will never bring you joy". The idea, I would argue, is less a literal money≠happiness, and more an exhortation about pursuing material things above all others.

Relatedly, it seems that experiences do make you happier on average than purchases do. It's hard to find scientific sources that let the general public read more than the abstract, so here's an article about an one such article that indicates that the happiness from purchases tends to dissipate while experiences just get better over time.

Of course, the line between a purchase and an experience isn't super clear, if you think about it. One of my all-time favorite games ever is Kirby Super Star; it's not honestly an unusually good game or anything, but I love it to death because of the hours my brother and I spent playing and replaying and goofing around with it. We'd go back to it year after year and make the same jokes and play the same levels and joke about our jokes. The game itself is a thing, but what I remember and enjoyed most about it was the experience associated with it. The same could be said for anything else, enjoyed with someone or without; you might wax nostalgic about a record you bought years ago and how great it was hearing it for the first time, or snuggling a sweetheart while it played in the background, or even just still get a rush every time you play it; the puzzler might not go back and resolve the puzzles she collects, but she'll grin when she remembers how something finally clicked that let her solve her most challenging puzzle yet, or laugh at staring at an obvious clue for hours and making things ten times harder than they had to be.

In any event, it's hard to seriously worry much about being judged for enjoying owning things in our fairly materialist culture. It's only when one gets to the level of a hoarder or someone who buys things simply to buy them and then never does anything with them (completing a collection here being part of "anything") that most people start looking down. In terms of collection, it's less the act of collecting or the size of the collection that tends to draw leery looks, but the nature of the collection itself: a man who's spent tens of thousands of dollars on and filled his house with Star Wars memorabilia isn't judged for his hobby so much as what's seen as his obsession with a childish film; someone who's done the same thing with art is seen as laudably sophisticated, after all.
Another case solved by SleepingOrange! Tune in next week for: "Too many friends? Does quantity affect quality?"