Glorified Mercenaries: The Rebootening

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Glorified Mercenaries: The Rebootening
RE: Glorified Mercenaries (whoa combat and stuff) [LWRPG]
<Slorange> Move to d1 and shoot dreg 2

SpoilerShow
[Image: rvdbmp.png]
Albert jabs Kairui with a syringe full of... basically caffeine, mineral water and assorted herbs. It fixes him up pretty quickly!

Giles completely obliterates his target! It splatters over the tree and ground alike.

Evil-looking mushrooms sprout from the dregs Bart attacks, draining away their life force. #3 in particular is basically a tiny patch of mud all but crushed beneath several oversized fungi.
"Okay, this time, I'm going to need you all to grab onto me if you want to get out of this chaos."

Arcane Portal to A-13, Cone of Light downwards (hitting all 5 dregs).

(sorry, didn't realize it was my turn.)
[Image: 6xGo4ab.png][Image: sig.gif]
Naisse heads towards the general fray, to G8, and fires at Dreg #8
SpoilerShow
[Image: 121r6eu.png]
Kairui seems to be a slight disoriented by the stuff Albert jabbed him with, and the teleport goes... not great. Only a little to the west, but that's enough to shove burning brambles into him. 3 resolve damage.

He still manages to get a good Cone of Light off, though, which crumbles one of the dregs into crusty flakes and leaves the others severely singed and hardened. Naisse follows up with a shot that's a little difficult because of the tree in her line of sight, but she manages to get just the right angle to hit her target full-force. Soon it's obliterated too.

SpoilerShow
ENEMY TURN
SpoilerShow
[Image: 21eqpnq.png]
Cowed by the flames, all the dregs gather around Bart and tackle him. They seem to be moving more slowly, though; the battle seems to have taken its toll on all of them.

Sylvain gives a little nod, writing quite a bit down as quickly as he can manage.

Recap
SpoilerShow
Disorienting Vision on Dreg 5, unless Albert takes it out, in which case the same on 6. Move to F5 either way
Bart will back into the corner (H14) and try to Water Blast #6 (+4 bonuses to precision), hopefully to have the bushes to the left act like a big cheese grater on it.
Kairui casts Into the Void on whichever dreg is left. Or #6 if they all are.
Naisse heads east to F11 and fires a Point Blank Shot at #5
WHOA LOTS OF ROLLS
SpoilerShow
VICTORY
The last few dregs each explode more violently than the last, covering everything and everyone around them in a considerable amount of mud. Sylvain raises his hand high and walks over; one by one, the jets of water shut off. He nods when he reaches the other side, and unlocks the door in front of you.

You follow him into a small room, containing a rack of towels and two large, intricately-carved wooden boxes. Directly in front of you is a large metal door, doubly-padlocked. Sylvain says nothing but "Trial four. Good luck."
Not even bothering to towel herself off, Naisse cautiously opens one of the two boxes.
RE: Glorified Mercenaries (mystery boxes) [LWRPG]
"Please tell me we get to take a shower when these tests are done with." Bart grumbles at Sylvain, heading straight to the towels to grab one and get the worst of the muck off his feathers and pants.
"For once, I agree with the doctor. All this mud is very unbecoming of me." Kairui dries himself off, then walks up behind Naisse, ready for whatever would pop out, for he was still on edge from the battle.
Naisse: The box's lid remains staunchly shut, responding with nothing but a clattering and a clicking. A small knob on the side falls off. Various tiles shift in place, and as you grow more frustrated and exert more force, a couple of them begin to overlap awkwardly.
While Naisse is busy breaking(?) one of the boxes, Bart heads over to the locked door and examines the locks; only really seeing if they're mundane or not for now.
Bart: The locks appear particularly sturdy, but as far as you can tell they're not enchanted in any way.
Bart scratches the back of his head, looking back at Sylvain. "What are those boxes all about if these are just normal locks?"
"Are they?"

Sylvain jots something down, glancing up briefly to give Bart an odd smile. "I've never bothered to check."
"Helpful as always, Chuckles." Bart grumbles to himself before beckoning to Giles, "I'm not good with this sort of thing, could you take a look?"
The party staggers back into the break room exhausted, battered, and singed. Giles’ hair is still a little green from the last challenge. A soot covered Sylvain follows the party out slinging an unconscious Bart over his shoulder. Wordlessly, he thrusts his smoking clipboard into Ilves’ hand and carries the demon out of the chapter house and towards the nearest hospital.

Glancing first at the party, then to the metal door Sylvain exited through, Ilves pages through the surviving portions of the report.

“Guys sure took your time running the course. Thought I’d be waiting til the next solstice afore I heard back from you. Other than that though these marks are fairly impressive. You guys even managed to open the Kobayashi Box. I’d given up hope that I’d ever figure out what was in the damn thing.” He continued through the pages. “Good, good, satisfactory, good, ah, it says you failed the Noodle Soup challenge.” He glances again at the remaining recruits slumped in chairs or lying face down on the floor. Giles’ hair begins fading from purple to orange.

“Well, nobody’s perfect. I, Captain Ilves, as acting chairman of this branch of the Adventurer’s Guild, find your training to adequately surpass our requirements for admittance, etcetera, etcetera. I hereby pronounce you Adventurers. Don’t you all cheer at once now.”

One of you manages a mumbled ‘hurray’. The Foumillan walks around and passes out lapel pins to the four of you. “These pins bear all the prestige blah, blah, while wearing act in a manner becoming, blah blah. Now onto jobs.”
Ilves opens a door to another, larger room and waits for the party to slump their way in. A large musty world map covers most of a wall, pins in the nearby region mark places of interest. All of them are tagged ‘clear’. The wall opposite the map holds a large mostly empty bulletin board. A few job notices cling to the bottom of it. The final wall is decorated with a mostly stocked liquor bar. The Moatin behind it looks to be bored out of his wits.
The bartender isn’t the only occupant of the room though. Sitting at the bar is a grubby Duonasi gentleman, whose very manner seems to exude ‘grifter’, and a young Moatin, who seems to be having his ear talked off by the other. At one table, two attractive Celarui women giggle at a joke shared between them, and at another, a lone Aumoli in battle armor silently nurses a drink.

All but the young Moatin seem completely at ease with the weapons at their hips or on their backs.
Ilves gestures at the bulletin board. “Jobs’re posted there when they come our way. We’re a little low right now, but there should be something you can do. Perform well and attract business, and maybe we’ll see that board fill up. For now, grab a drink (first one’s on the house), introduce yourselves to the other adventurers, check out the jobs, tour the city if you’re new in town. Come see me when you’re ready to accept a mission .”

With that Ilves hits up the bar and retires to a corner table with a drink in hand.

Boon granted: Bootcamp Bond (+1 to teamwork actions with those you trained with)

Welcome to 2014 Year of the Reboot. I’ll be taking over Mr. Guy’s Glorified Mercenaries and will be doing my damnedest to not embarrass myself or my abysmal writing technique in doing so. Everything in the OP should still be true though I’m adding a couple administrative notes. First off Signups are reopen. Nutcase is MIA and Nottles is dropping out, and that means there’s room for more characters, but more than just two slots are open. I’m significantly raising the player cap for the game which brings me to the next point. Partying up is encouraged, but not mandatory. PBP style games offer a lot of flexibility that live-action tabletops don’t, and while it’s dangerous to go alone, don’t feel obligated to stay with the party just because that’s where everyone else is. Considering the amount of players I’m allowing, I encourage you to split into smaller groups and explore the world with the party of your choice. I feel this multipath strategy will help add redundancies to the game and keep it going should a player or two ever fall off the map. Thirdly, Combat will take place in IRC. If combat’s initiated in thread, I’ll ask the involved players for some preferred times to take care of it and resolve the scene shortly after.

I hope I can give this wonderful world Guy’s created the game it deserves. Without further ado, let’s get explorifying.
RE: GM OP
I'm still in I guess, let's explore some worlds
RE: Glorified Mercenaries: The Rebootening
I'm in it to win it but not really because there's no real end goal to strive for.
RE: Glorified Mercenaries: The Rebootening
I'm still in, naturally.