The Glorious Championship! [S3G5] [Round... Uh, Seven? The Oasis]

The Glorious Championship! [S3G5] [Round... Uh, Seven? The Oasis]
Re: The Glorious Championship! [S3G5] [Round Two: The Kestalvian Rainforest]
Originally posted on MSPA by Not The Author.

You are confronted by some sort of Mobile Temporal Anomaly! You’re not sure where it came from, but your best guess is that it’s the rare and dangerous creature your host mentioned. Or, the figure inside the anomaly is, at any rate. It’s hard to make out through the quantum haze, but seems to be at least partly mechanical. That accounts for the ticking of clockwork that seems to follow the Anomaly, at least. Doesn't make much sense to you, but then not much in this forest has.

Several readings have spiked off the charts. You don’t actually know what these readings mean, but the ship will inform – ah, there it goes. The specifics don’t matter too much (Itzel has tried before to convince you otherwise), but the gist of the matter is that the Anomaly is highly unstable, and contact with it is not at all advisable.

Trust advanced technology to tell you the obvious.

The Anomaly is approaching rather quickly. While the safely of the ship is of utmost importance, you also have some tagalongs to protect. You sigh, hoping Itzel hurries up with that speech. You’d forgotten how tiring running this ship is.

What do you do?

> Ditch these deadweights. The safety of VII and its passengers trumps all other concerns. (<font color="#33CC99">AMP has died. Itzel is furious with you. Skip ahead to Chapter 3.
)

> Try to destroy the Anomaly. You’ll eliminate a threat to the ship and your companions, and be able to test out some of Terrence’s new weapon designs. (The Anomaly is stronger than you expected. You’ve stalled its advance, but not by much. Turn to page 9.)

> Study the Anomaly. It might give you a clue as to how to better control time and escape this blasted contest. (Turns out unstable space-time fields and precisely calibrated singularity engines don’t mix well. Turn to page 17.)</font>

You are dead.

Again.

This time it’s just from accelerated aging, so you manage to keep your innards in. ...Mostly. Note to self: do not approach the Tesseract.

It’s probably not a real tesseract, leastways not in the traditional sense – “Tesseract” just seems an appropriate name for it. Like someone threw a bunch of transparent swirly blue cubes into a blender, but the blender is made of the swirly cubes inside it – hang on, wasn’t this thing on an episode of Trek? You swear you saw this in a Trek episode.

Sy’s telling you to shut up and focus. Heheh, did you say that out loud? Whoops.

Anyway, that metal ball thing – the solid one; Seven, you think? – seems to be shooting some kind of energy at the Tessssssssss

<font color="#33CC99">...

Oh, for the love of...

> Wait, where’s the rest of this page? (VII moved slightly, so you get to do the time warp again. Jump fifteen minutes to the left and step right into the middle of running away on page 23.)</font>

“Why is it always me dying? Why none of you?

Ix ducked under a low-hanging branch and walked right into carefully danced around a vicious-looking carnivorous tree.

“See? See?! It keeps happening!”

Sydra shrugged, fiddling with his handheld scanner. “Calm down, Ix. You’re still alive, aren’t you?”

“Well maybe one of me is, but I can’t help but think that maybe I won’t shed a clone or whatever the fuck I’m -”

Sydra punched Ix in the face.

“Owwwww”

“Calm down, Ix, you’re perfectly fine. Bruised, sure, but...” The chronologist frowned, fingers still flitting over the keys on his chronometer. “...Actually, your temporal signature is spiking periodically. Curious.”

“Didn’t we...” AMP looked about as confused as a giant swirling shrapnel maelstrom could manage. “Is this... déjà vu? Is that was this is? Because I swear we just had this conversation.”

Throughout their flight, AMP had been quizzing Sydra about a variety of seemingly mundane topics, which Ix found rather bothersome. This time, however, the machine sounded worried, rather than curious.
“No, no, I’m sure we haven’t.”

“We definitely have. I don’t know what a ‘Chronospatial Convergence Bacon’ is – that had to have come from you.”

The chronologist muttered “beacon” under his breath and hurriedly returned to his scanner. Ix, as he was wont to do, spat an expletive and started complaining about Flying Psychic Junkyards, what was next, some kind of bullshit time-traveling zombie cyborg with... I don’t know, what goes good with zombies? Some kind of giant worm for an aw for fuck’s sake I didn’t mean it

Sydra vaulted over a fallen tree, saw Cailean, and vaulted back the other way, for once of his own volition and not chronillogical shenaniganery. His scanner, caught between the space/time vortex that VII generated and the collapsed waveform occupying Cailean, decided that it couldn’t take this shit anymore and melted its own insides.
Cailean decided that following its lead was a wonderful idea, but changed his mind halfway through. Ix only gagged this time, but then his stomach didn’t have much to give anymore. AMP, not yet having developed a concept of “oh crap it’s a hideous monster, everyone hide,” rolled right out into the clearing.

“Hey, guys! Long time no see! What’d I miss?”

Messages In This Thread
RULES ADDENDUM - by MaxieSatan - 04-24-2011, 04:31 PM
Re: The Glorious Championship! [S3G5] [Round Two: The Kestalvian Rainforest] - by Not The Author - 11-13-2011, 06:34 AM