Spheres of Influence: Alliance

Spheres of Influence: Alliance
RE: Spheres of Influence: Alliance
Aye on research institute.
Nay on Ovis's proposal. Want to keep fighting.
Durgana stood up, frowning a bit before speaking. It was clear she was quite conflicted on the entire ordeal.

"Captain, Guardian," she spoke to Ovis and Alyn. "I believe your hearts are in the right place with this, and I believe that you both, like my husband and I, want nothing but the best for the Alliance and its people. However, as the Postmaster Paramount has pointed out, this isn't the way to justice and peace. This Article would increase the power and influence of the Alliance Council to statelike levels, which would likely cause discontent and dissent among the member states. It could very well cause the Alliance to shatter, as an article such as this takes away diplomatic sovereignty from its members. At least a few states would leave rather than have their independence eroded."

She looked to everybody.

"This article would also hamper the ability of the Alliance's members to intervene themselves if they wished to stop atrocities. The time it takes for votes to be gathered across such a large area could be the difference between life and death for those on the ground that we wish to help," she said. "I believe that there may be a better way to ensure that the Alliance acts in a just and reasonable manner, but this is not the way. This'll only cause more suffering and injustice, not less. I'm sorry, but I must vote Nay."
Alyn looks unsurprised, but nevertheless sad.

"I understand. I hope that you all at least take the spirit of this article to heart. We are a pact of mutual defense and the only reason the Alliance still holds is because of the mutual respect of our nations. We cannot give in to the thinking of 'us' and 'them' - those who live outside our lands are the same as us, with their own fears, needs, loved ones, and desires. Please go out into the world and act with empathy and respect."
Current Projects:
Human space is at war, and we're all caught up in it - Scattered Stars

A woman chases another through the snow, but where will their path lead them? - Footprints in the snow
Ovis stays quiet. Only the cry of Dingowls, circling above the CUBE's skylight, can be heard.
Durgana frowned at Ovis’s sadness.

“Aye, Guardian, my husband has no intention of fighting against anybody other than goblins, bugs, raiders, and pirates. That said, I’d like to make a general proclamation. The High Kingdom has been claimed by my husband, by right of deed as well as birth. He shall not be coronated until the reclamation of Khuln Verdaral allows him to sit the Adamantine Throne, as tradition dictates, but he does henceforth carry the title of High King Aspirant. That said, my husband’s government now lays claim to all the lost Dwarven holds. If any non-Dwarven government were to seize a Dwarven hold, with intent either to annex it or to create a puppet hold, we would offer a million gold for the hold instead. Should said offer be rejected without a reasonable counter-offer, we will be forced to cut diplomatic and trade relations with the infringing party, as we would view them as imperializers of Dwarven heritage. Now, I don’t think any of our allies here want to do something like that. Not after nine hundred years, when the Army of Reclamation is finally reclaiming what was lost to our people so long ago, but I thought it prudent to mention this regardless. Dwarven holds should remain in the hands of independent Dwarven governments, those being independent governments predominately led by Dwarves.”
A Tiranogian aid bearing the markings of a Crimson Guard bursts into the Cube, looking haggard. he rushes over, bows to King Geród and hands him a crumpled letter.

Geród opens it and reads the contents, the expressions on his face turning from worried, to confused to delighted.

"My friends, I have some news to share with you all." he said folding the letter, thanking the messenger. "As part of my investigations into the bombing of Dunfaelin and Dentienne. I have uncovered similarities in both tragedies."

"Both explosions were the act of another power, and I have sufficient evidence to confidently assert that it was not anyone in the Alliance. But that is not all. Under Dunfelían, like under Dentienne, our investigators uncovered what can only be called a borehole. A massive, artificial hole dug into the earth under both cities, reaching deep into the Earth, farther down than even the Deep roads the Dwarves use. Into an overwhelmingly vast underworld consisting of vast caverns larger than entire countries and, apparently, underwater oceans, or great lakes in the case of the Underneath of Dunfelían. The culprits had created mechanical contraptions to raise and lower themselves from this, 'Under Dark', to infiltrate and set up their perfidious explosives under our cities, although while the one in Dentienne was evidently destroyed in a hurry, the one under Dunfelían was deconstructed slowly, and recognisable because of the holes left in the walls for the structures's supports. I encourage all of you here to investigate the underlying foundations and structures supporting your most important cities for similar artifacts, to prevent further tragedy, it is unlikely it was only these two cities targeted by such treachery."

"However, in the dark we have found some good news. Despite being very strange world indeed, my Crimson Guard have, quite literally it seems, tripped over a seam of gold right there on the rocks below, so easily accessible he even took a solid gold nugget off of it with his sword. In Dunfelían's case, the borehole lead to an underground island which could be easily defensible for further expeditions, and perhaps our friends in Antipode could get much use out of using it as a jumping off point for their scientific investigations into the unknown. We could even-"

Another aide burst into the cube, this one far more haggard than the last, and rushed to the king and shoved a letter into his hands before slipping and planting his face on the floor, he was apparently soaked to the bone by rain and tripped over his own shoes. Geród opened the second letter. His face turned to stone.

"Apparently a massive raiding force of seaborne goblins are approaching the borehole and campsite my men have set up, approximately 1000 strong. I dont- Is there even anything to raid down there to sustain themselves!? How!? Regardless-" he tossed the letter aside. "Tiranóg calls its allies for aid. I cannot close the borehole to Dunfelían quickly without literally undermining my very capital and endangering everyone in there. I am giving the order for my raised levies to rush to the capital to help hold the line until aid arrives."
"Gundarth will answer the call," said prime minister Malcolm. "Our forces are already raised, though the fight at Bronze Pass was resolved before we could even make it to the mainland, well before we reconvened here. I shall send a message to them to march to Dunfélian at once." With that, he turned to an aide and began dictating a message.
Ovis smashed his fist in the table, still in a sombre mood. He nods dramatically at Geród, and tells something to Capra in Zmonese. Soon, the earth itself wobbles, as the Cuberiders march to transports...
Durgana cursed in Dwarven.

"The Army of Reclamation is up near Theruhm Dhundur right now," Durgana said, looking annoyed at the circumstances. "Don't think they'll be able to get to you in time, Geród, but I'll send a letter regardless. Here's hoping."
Cregit Exiro grimaced. "Kor Vurneus forces have been occupied with the Bronze pass and Nhdit Nuskri and would not be able to make it to the lands of Tiranog in any swift time. I'm sorry that we probably can not be helpful in this situation unless you expect this to be a drawn out invasion."
"Don't get me started on Henchmen."
Aztra finally snaps out of staring at the dingowls overhead. So beautiful. So majestic.

"Sadly, Antipode lacks the spare forces to send much in the way of direct aid. However, in light of boreholes appearing under multiple capitals... I'm going to immediately send an expedition to search for one beneath the city of Antipode. I'd urge others to do the same."
Ovis spoke: "Friends! Friends. I assume we all should reconvene with our aid friends, and spend some time shouting about what to do. So, I think the best thing to do right now, is to adjourne the meeting thing for today, and meet again in a few days. For the ones who still haven't yelled out their proposals yet: please alert me about this. If no more proposals are planned, our next meeting shall be the grand closing ceremony.

Thank you all for coming. Friends."
And so the leaders and representatives departed, spending a couple of days dispatching messages and waiting for word regarding investigations into potential boreholes. They would reconvene a few days later, after two key battles had been resolved, and a number of deep-dark-related discoveries had been made. If any of them who still could make a proposal had any proposal to make, now would be the time. If not, then the end of the convention would soon be nigh.
Ríoch Geród stands up from his seat and taps his cane onto the floor for attention.

"I must state my sincere gratitude for the speed at which those alliance states who came to Tiranóg's aid int he matter of the Underdark goblins. I am happy to report that the cowards, despite their numbers, fled at the first sign of stiff resistance that reinforcements helped the defenders of our basecamp project."

"While we have yet not enough information to tell wether or not further exploitation of the underdark is warrented, this will give us time to further investigate while planning for the closure of the borehole under Tiranóg in a safe manner if its not worth the trouble. However this has brought a problem to surface, who owns the land under them?."

"Putting aside the obvious matter of the dwarven deep roads, which for the sake of convenience, we will assume all previous conventions and understanding between nations regarding these roads will still apply and remain unmolested, Tiranóg will propose the following Article for the Alliance's consideration:"

(1) The Underdark shall be recognized as that portion of the world that lies significantly under the Earth, and under all known Alliance Dwarven forts and their territories that is distinguished by consisting of exceedingly large expansive caverns capable of containing at the very least, great lakes upon which patrolling ships containing great numbers of troops can set sail.
1i - Portions of the Underdark as such shall be considered as akin to being continents and lands and thus can be claimed much in the same manner as Alliance Colonies in the East have been claimed.
1ii - It shall be assumed that if any Alliance member claims and is able to hold territory down there, it shall be recognized as their territory for as long as they can hold it.
1iii - Alliance members that dig additional ways down to the Underdark, shall inform other nations in the alliance of the presence of a new Borehole.

"Of course if this gold vein we have found proves to be so much fool's gold, with nothing else to profit or justify the expense of maintaining a base down there, then Tiranóg will happily seal up its borehole and leave well enough for now, but the article will remain for those to whom it will prove useful. While no previous article handles the matter of Alliance colonies and how they are managed, nor should there be one, it is by conventional understanding and mutual agreement between alliance members that colonies are managed, claimed and recognised, anything to do with the Underdark should be understood by similar conventions and norms."
Ovis thought about it, and said: "Well, I shall say Aye to this, tentatively. While I still dislike the using up forces to gain new borders to protect, part one eye eye dissipates my fear, for it ensures that one can only do so if they have enough manpower that it does not smallify their army in other places.

But also, even though this law has not been set, I shall comply with it, and I will immediately tell you, friends, that we have found no boreholes under our cities, but we have found a naturally formed rift. Or unnatural, if Tharassa's explosion caused it, haha. Anyhoo, it is full of friendly cubes, so I think they ate all the bugs, if there were any."
"That all seems reasonable. There are certainly regions that can support life down there and I suppose at a certain point one can't complain too much about having a civlisation underneath one's land if it's deep enough. For now, I shall also say Aye with the minor issue that, our own records tend to refer to this region as the "deep" dark? Perhaps we should allow the High Kingdom to determine the most accurate translation from their own Lexicon" Exiro said, looking to Durgana.
"I would prefer if this Underdark were kept under condominium, at least until it is mapped and we are sure there are no native peoples that aren't immediately hostile to us," Alyn says, "But it would be hypocritical of me to vote against this article, as the Unity is considering a colony in the East. We vote Aye."
Current Projects:

A woman chases another through the snow, but where will their path lead them? - Footprints in the snow
"Oh, we've a million different names for it," Durgana said, smiling at the Cregit. "Holahr or the Fallen Depths. Rykaz Hazadoul, or the Realm of the Black Death. Most simply refer to it as The Deep Caves, or Kiz Ahraz Wyriz. In any case, I vote Aye."
Aztra has another brief conversation with Prime Minister Vassa. "Antipode will vote Aye as well. While we're not certain about formalizing 'Underdark' as the official terminology for this cave system, we agree with the proposal itself. I'll note while we're all here that a borehole was not discovered under Antipode - because whoever is doing this didn't need one. We uncovered a massive tunnel, close to 100 meters in diameter, reaching from our docklands to the roof of the... 'deep dark', which was dug over the course of some 200 years by a machine created long ago by one Lord Xelthis. No, the machine did not survive."

Aztra shakes her head in disappointment at that last part. "Our unknown saboteurs used this tunnel to dig under the Institute itself, but their side tunnel was already collapsed when we found it. Either they caved it in on themselves by accident, abandoned their project, or completed whatever they set out to do. Regardless, our current plan is to cap this entrance as securely as we can, until we have enough resources on hand to mount a proper expedition. If there are underground seas nearby, we could even undertake a project to turn this tunnel into a massive canal for ships. Something to worry about later, of course."
Right, Postmaster did a whole lot more scribbling as she listened, and finally stopped and cleared her throat. "The Post votes Aye. We can fix terminology when we have had more time to study and confer, and fiddle with the complexities on the next summit. This is a good start. I suppose everyone is aware of the borehole in Dentienne, but that has been sealed for the time being, and any attempt to excavate will be prefaced with an alert regardless of this proposition. Middle of the continental Alliance is a terrible place to foolhardily go charging back in. We are not keen on willful acts of hubris, and will not be doing so until we are fully prepared."

"That said, it seems we are entering uncertain times. For a good ninety years our convened-upon problems have stemmed largely from an infested border kept in check. Now, the reason for our connection has spread under our floor boards, and is not so easily or predictably handled. This is a troublesome situation, so recently discovered. We do not have permanent solutions yet. We struggle to find options with which we might balance central control, inconvenience of members, and the unease of less militarily inclined allies, all to an agreeable point. But we need something. So for now, the Post has a proposition of our own."

1) In times of exceeding duress with international risk, an emergency convening of the Alliance may be called by any member nation.

1i) Exceeding duress and international risk is to be loosely defined but encompass all events whose follow-through may compromise the security of the Alliance or cause immediate catastrophic loss of life such that it cannot be held off until the following Convention.
1ii) This call cannot be ignored and must be attended by a representative of each member nation.
1iii) The ways in which the emergency conventions differ from routine conventions will be as follows:
- There will be no council standing, any member nation may propose temporary articles.
- Any Articles passed and solutions less officially offered on the convention floor will be temporary, and dissolved upon either 1) the end of the crisis that necessitated the convention or 2) the next routine Alliance Convention, whichever comes first. For permanent passing, Articles will need to be re-introduced in the normally accepted manner.
1iv) The caller of the emergency meeting will be responsible for immediate and complete intelligence briefing.
1v) In the event the caller has invoked this (proposed) Article for any reason other than the accepted genuine concern of international well-being, they will be punished within reason in a manner decided at the next routine convention.
"Much better said than my earlier idea, Postmaster Friend. Aye."
"Completely reasonable. Antipode votes Aye."
Durgana smiled.

"Aye, I can agree to that. Aye."
"Preparation is the best prevention of disasters, Kor Vurneus says Aye to Postmaster Gaara's proposal."

He gave a small thumbs up to her.
"We see no reason to oppose this. Aye"
Current Projects: