Spheres of Influence: Alliance

Spheres of Influence: Alliance
RE: Spheres of Influence: Alliance
"Greetings, those not from the woods! I am Wolfstooth Talksgood, the Ambassador of Orbona!" He flashes a smile. He was followed by the representatives of the major tribes, all dressed in fur and finery, their vague confusion and annoyance, held back by the propriety of the delegation. "Sorry for my delay! Very long way from home to the CUBE!"

It seems like a prerequisite for Orbona Ambassador was not shout and scream about their physical prowess. A low but also, necessary bar to exist.
Big boy. Whoa.

Well, he was gonna let someone else go deal with that first. In the meantime...Merhotepre huh, that could be convenient.

Exiro brushed himself down a bit, and quickly limped over to the ambassador of Merhotepre. "Good day, welcome to the Alliance's convention. Cregit Exiro, of Kor Vurneus. Is there time for us to have a word? Country to country?" He asked warmly, being followed in perfect time and step by Anastai with the parasol.
"Don't get me started on Henchmen."
Captain Ovis is beaming with pride! So many people arrived! Even new, previously unknown friends, and many, soon to be official friends too! This is truly a great day, and it will be great that THE CUBE will be forever known as the symbol of this for all wastelanders...
"It is," said King Rykarth to Queen Durgana, a little absently as his head tracked the passage of the half-elven delegation. He seemed to snap back to focus after that. "I never thought I would see them here. They have interacted with my borders before. They always seemed more like squabbling tribes, and sometimes raiders. These are truly interesting times."

Meanwhile, Cregit Exiro approached the Merhotepre ambassador, who looked up in surprise at being directly approached by an Alliance leader. It seemed he had cast some kind of translation spell, or had it cast on him, similar to the Antipodeans. "Yes, of course," he said, his thick accent showing through the magic. He gestured to the door leading to one of the side chambers of the CUBE, away from the big table with the big sunbeam and all the other diplomats and leaders. "In private?"
“They are. They make up a large contingent of the Army of Reclamation and seek to join the Alliance. They have our full support in that,” Durgana told him. “My husband and I have actually been quite interested in improving the production techniques in Khuln Kalduhr. Considering your people already have a headstart on that, we could cooperate in industrial matters. Such would likely increase the production capacity of both our kingdoms, particularly with the even more plentiful steel that will soon be flowing out of Ahrkalde.”

She glanced around.

"I should probably get to the actual Alliance business here, though. My husband can talk about it with you via letters if you're interested. Til next time."

She nodded her head, then went off to tend to actual Alliance business. First she went to the Merhotepre ambassador who was in the process of speaking with the Cregit.

"Ah, an ambassador from Merhotepre?" Durgana asked him, smiling. "What brings you so far north if I may ask? If you're interested in joining the Alliance, I'd be glad to add such a thing to the Article we'll be proposing. I'd recommend it. Comes with nothing but benefits really. Lots of secure trade, excellent mail service, tons of friends."
Rioch smiled at Duncan and led on over to the Prime Minister and the princess.

"Honorable Prime minister Malcolm." Geród said, offering his hand to shake. "A pleasure to meet you in person."
Duncan followed Geród over to Prime Minister Malcolm of Gundarth. The princess still hadn't arrived yet. Malcolm shook Geród's hand, but did not smile. "The pleasure is all mine. Now, please," he lowered his voice a little, "why are you humouring this rebel aggressor in front of everyone?"

Meanwhile, Durgana approached the Merhotepre ambassador, pulling him away from his conversation with the Cregit for a moment. "Oh, that hasn't really been our leader's... well no, that's not really it. I'm here to find out what's going on in regards to why our main northern neighbour is occupied by the Alliance."
Exiro looked down/over at Durgana, and then the ambassador, and paused from his stepping towards a side-chamber, and turned back. "Hah-hah." He chuckled roughly out. "That is true, not that you couldn't gain such benefits anyway, but joining the alliance does tend to expedite things. Sort of like a package deal or helping simplify paperwork. We may be getting a landfall of new members this session which is always pleasing. Possibly due to the meaning of the Alliance expanding and growing with it's members over the centuries. I'm sure you'll have plenty of chances to see the advantages over the coming event."

"And. Ah." Exiro looked slightly awkward now. "I was meaning to bring that up myself actually when we-. Hmm. I was worried that was the main reason."
"Because, to be perfectly frank with both of you." The smile dropped from Geród's face as he regarded both Duncan and Malcolm, speaking lowly for just the two of them to hear. "The alliance is under grave threat, the explosions that have rocked Praterre and Dunfaelin are linked, indeed, they have the same root cause, and we all have very much more to worry about than a revolution born out of frustration or a central administration that leaves its frontiers feeling excluded and neglected." His voice dropped lower. "Someone beyond the alliance's remit and abilities went to extraordinary lengths, and took a great deal of time to knock out the government of the biggest naval protector of our sea lanes, and, seemingly, the capital of what was once the biggest and most powerful state in the alliance. Albeit too late as the revolution prevented the disturbance the annihilation of Dentienne would have caused before."

He returned to a more amicable voice. "We will be discussing this matter at the council meeting so you will soon learn the details, so if I can forestall a potential civil war in my closest neighbor by helping get the two parties involved to reach an amicable settlement, then by all the gods I will. There may be more cities similarly targeted as Dunfaelin and Dentienne, we cannot afford factionalizing the alliance or aiding the enemy by coming to arms."
"If you're going to treat them with a smile and a handshake, you're all but acknowledging they are a state with the right to be here," said Malcolm, frowning. "And in doing so, you're neglecting your duties to defend members of the Alliance. I express every condolence for the pain you've suffered at the hands of terrorism, but that does not mean Tiranóg gets to shirk its duties to its allies. What we have is a gang of petty nobles making power grabs, and slaughtering our soldiers. It needs to be dealt with as a bunch of dissidents, not welcomed with a seat at the convention!"

"I- excuse me, you sorry excuse for a clansman!" exclamined Duncan. "Your soldiers were invading Innis Lorel to repress us! We've had enough with being ruled from Doncanan. We tried to negotiate with you - you refused to even consider our demands!" He slammed his fist into his palm, gesticulating as he talked. "King Geród here gets it. We deserve a seat here as much as anyone. You don't have the men to take back our lands - we're independent now, like it or not. If the Post gets a chair, so do we!"

"I will not repeat words I've said before," said Malcolm. "Parliament was never going to strip estates from our loyal subjects just to satisfy you island clans' desire for more wealth. You are a rebel. You rule your island by force of arms, not by any right recognized by the gods. You have forfeited every right to make demands."

Meanwhile, across the room, the Merhotepre ambassador looked over towards the rising tempers, then turned back. "So, yes, sorry, Lord Cregit Exiro. His Eminence King Akhetre would like to know what triggered this occupation, and what your plans for the lands you have occupied are. If you would prefer to talk here we can, but if you would like to discuss this away from this hall..?"
"Hm, I believe that invasion was caused by Nhdit Nuskri imprisoning Alliance citizens en masse. Spurred on by accusations of spying if I'm not mistaken," Durgana said to them both. "Wasn't really involved in that invasion. My husband is more preoccupied with the reclamation of the long lost holds of the Dwarven people."

She held up a finger.

"Speaking of which, I will state to both of you in advance that the Dwarven holds are the property and heritage of the Dwarven people. Any annexation of Dwarven holds by non-Dwarven powers will be viewed as an affront to the High Kingdom, and will certainly lead to a cessation of trade and diplomatic relations. I'll be making a general announcement of that soon enough. If you want it more simply put, my husband is the most legitimate direct descendant of the old High Kings of House Durganthull and is now claiming that title. As such, all holds not currently in Dwarven hands are legally claimed by the High Kingdom."

She smiled.

"Don't imagine either of you want to go around randomly conquering Dwarven holds right as the Army of Reclamation is finally making progress on that front on behalf of the Dwarves, but I thought I'd put it out there. If you want to secure a hold and get rid of a goblin or bug threat on your border, best talk to us and we'll be glad to help out. We've certainly got the army for it, as our victory at Taziduhr might prove."
Cregit Exiro looked back at Durgana, then at the ambassador, then at Durgana again. It was possible he had some eyebrows raised beneath his bandages. He wasn't...Quite sure if that last line had been a threat.

"Well. That is quite a, goal. I couldn't say much about such matters myself, I wasn't in a position to discuss it with your husband either as he visited. I would... No, if that's your objective I'm sure you've thought it all out and come to terms with it." He nodded thoughtfully. "I expect we'll have some more personal complications to work out ourselves with the High Kingdom then I'm afraid, about borders and such. We have our own dwarven population since the fall of the High Kingdom so perhaps a convenient solution or loophole can be formed there between our kingdoms. Now, if you could excuse us your highness, Kor Vurneus and Merhotepre have matters to discuss, outside this hall." He looked over at the growing outburst, then motioned the ambassador to follow him.

He didn't leave before he and Anastai gave a small curtsy and bow respectively to Queen Durgana.
"Oh I'm sure we can work it out," she told the Cregit. "They could settle in the holds and we'll compensate you for the lost population for a time? Something like that. We'll figure it out later via letters."

She smiled and gave both the Cregit and the Ambassador a friendly pat on the shoulder.

"Good luck working that out. Oh, and Ambassador, if you'd like to buy guns or steel in the future we've an abundance of both and we'll have a port before long. We'd be glad to strike a deal there."

And with that, she went off to tend to her proper business. She'd go around to each of the delegates from both the major and minor powers of the Alliance and get their input on her husband's Article!

The article was as follows:

Article 33 (1): Orbona shall be recognized as an Alliance member with 7 votes.
Article 33 (2): The votes of the now defunct Kingdom of Praterre shall be distributed to the Freed Bay Post and the Duchies of Ecrithur and Des-Accor. Praterre's Council Seat shall go to the Freed Bay Post, as they are the largest of the Pratois states. The Freed Bay Post shall receive 16 votes, Des-Accor 4 votes, and Ecrithur 3 votes.
Article 33 (3): The Kingdom of the Crescent Wastes shall be granted a Council seat in light of their increased strength and population.
Article 33 (4): In light of the proclamation of the High Kingdom of the Dwarves and the subsequent vassalage of Khuln Paztdin and Khuln Ahrkalde to the King of Khuln Kalduhr, the votes of the two states shall transfer to the control of Khuln Kalduhr.

Durgana wanted to be absolutely sure that there were no giant hang-ups about the article before the vote. It was an important article, afterall.
"You know what, you are right, both of you, I do get it, I do have to pay my obligations to the alliance." Geród said, his features growing hard. "I can park my navy between Innis Lorel and mainland Gundarth and decide the outcome of this civil war before it even starts. The only question is which of you I starve of trade and outside resources in order to do it." He said. He turned to Malcolm.

"The kingdom of Gundarth which was only ever a fairweather friend to Tiranóg and whose own housekeeping prompted a furthering of the Praterre revolution beyond the frontiers of the continent and bringing civil war to our islands." He turns to Kirk. "Or Innis Lorel who could have chosen any justification for their revolt, but purposefully threatens the rest of the alliance by invoking the fires of revolution and then only after the fact seeks assurances and accommodation from outsiders and whose war will cause chaos in our waters and opportunity for pirates and privateers."

"Or both, until you both willingly come to a compromise. Because if you're both deadset on war in the Alliance, then Tiranóg will act in the Alliance's best interests." He said. "What will it be gentleman?"
Alyn observes the other arrivals with some interest, giving the Orbonian ambassador a friendly smile and frowning at the argument between Lord Duncan and King Malcolm, with King Gerod caught in the middle. They also murmur something to one of their fellow druids when they see the Merhotepre ambassador - quite an unusual sight indeed. And King Rykarth attending in person, too. Truly a convention for the history books.

When approached by Durgana, Alyn holds their hands wide and smiles.

"Ah, Queen Durgana! A pleasure to meet you finally. Your husband was quite a pleasure to have in Greenmount, and I hope that you may find a chance to visit us someday as well. I have no major objections to your article, though I question the need to permanently assign your vassal's votes to you. Surely they would vote for whatever you propose anyway? Ah, and I would like to speak to Wolfstooth Talkgood myself, perhaps he's not busy."

Alyn looks around for the half-elf (not like he's hard to spot anyway) and when they see him, they wave and send a druid to go over and tell him that Alyn Loras of the Unity would like to chat.
Current Projects:
Human space is at war, and we're all caught up in it - Scattered Stars

A woman chases another through the snow, but where will their path lead them? - Footprints in the snow
This place is terrible. Like. Like not the place, the Cube was still VERY impressive, but this whole... congregation. Awful. After some last minute writing and letter-sealing (unsurprisingly, the Postmaster just HAD a full stationary kit on her person, and was quickly able to get a few things on their way out,) it was time to... Exist. Formally. Because the Post was a power and they had things to be doing.

Like chatting up Durgana, first, because she had just promised to do so and also she DID have to know that all the Snorris and the Bardinas said hi, but after that! More official business. What would have been ideal would be to talk to the Big Son Of A Gun, because she just met those guys and they looked like one hell of a cool northern neighbor, but the druids beat her to it. Maybe later. For now? Dubois and Hassletongue had a dance to cut in on. Better than dealing with some people here. Lookin' at you, Tara, but not directly so that you don't notice and have no reason to enter my personal space.

"Rioch, Paramount, Prime Minister. Can't help but overhear, likely to the chagrin of everyone politely pretending they're deaf in this Cube." Seemed she wasn't going to be as polite as everyone ignoring this shitshow, but, yakno. Stern didn't equal rude, at least. "Wasn't quite expecting threats to be thrown around here so blatantly, but I suppose you and I have a little to learn today, wouldn't you say, Geród? I must confess that I still find myself confused, as to why it is considered 'factionalizing' and otherwise so troublesome to the Alliance for a state to find itself better under its own control - as it still seeks to provide better to the Alliance for it. It is perplexing to me that the open reaction from the most relevant party is to tell it to try and make an agreement else they get punished, when already they've been shot down from trying to do so. It just seems that, if Alliance's interests are the issue we are choosing to have with the Paramount's attendance, their forming and implementing of a solution is not of equal contribution to the problem as, say, hindering a portion of their old populace through poor 'housekeeping'. Perhaps someone could enlighten me? Or, failing this, an old hat could give a little advice on the... newest attempt at negotiation, if it is found desirable."
Geród forced himself to calm down after the Postmaster's interruption and considered his word carefully.

"Postmaster." He said in greeting. "In short. Inis Lorel is in revolt from Gundarth because it perceive's its government as being neglectful to the point of being harmful. Gundarth views Inis Lorel's revolt as illegal and unjustified. Initial attempts at negotiating a settlement has already failed before it came to violence."

"Blood has already been spilled on the matter since then, this is now the second time I have tried to bring the two to a table of reconciliation so as to avoid further bloodshed, rather than simply aiding one to conquer the other and thereby severely souring diplomatic relations with the rest of the alliance or outright aiding in the seccession and breakup of my neighbour and alliance member and thereby weakening the integrity of the rest of the states of the alliance. Tempers flared."
"Innis Lorel has no interest in conquering Gundarth!" interjected Duncan. "We want recognition, and we will support our fellow clansmen on the mainland when they decide that the time is right to seek freedom from the parliament. If they decide they prefer to waste away under the rule of Doncanan, that's their own gods-damned decision! We just want to control our own lands, rule ourselves, without the feeding tendrils of parliament's friends sucking away all the life from the island! Of course we're going to call a revolution! The Pratois dealt with their greedy landowners that way, and so too did we!"

Malcolm seemed equally incensed, and spoke over Duncan for a little of his tirade. "A fair-weather friend?! Gundarth has stood behind Tiranóg for centuries, and this is how we are repaid? If this is allowed, where will it end? Can any state in the Alliance simply break apart the moment one particular town decides it doesn't like paying taxes, or contributing troops to the defense of the border in Kor Vurneus, and then we must all recognize the rebels? I cannot believe I am having to make this argument at all! The very idea that this rebellion has any legitimacy is simply ridiculous! It's just a couple of island clans seizing estates to line their own pockets, and ruining the good men and women of Doncanan who invested in clearing the land in the first place!"

"Parasites and leeches is what they were!" shouted Duncan. "Friends of parliament, friends of yours, not friends to the people of Innis Lorel! Of course the rich bastards in parliament would sell our land to their friends, let them exploit it to their hearts content! Forcing the common folk to work for them, and pushing the island clans to the side! What were we meant to do? The highland clans would never have stood for this, and neither would we!"

The tone was getting more hostile, and Duncan seemed almost ready to physically punch Malcolm.
Geród tries to gently interpose between the two before they actually threw a punch.
Simultaneously, Gaara put a hand on Duncan's shoulder, and pulled him back a bit so that hopefully he wasn't gonna punch Geród either. A 'hey I get it' shoulder hand and also a 'don't punch the guy, dude' shoulder hand.

"It is easy and righteous to get heated when blood has been spilt on your hearth, Duncan. I know this. But I'll give that advice now. We're at a diplomatic convention, and fervor does not ease the bloodshed here. Your priorities are best kept in reminding everyone of your civility in the matter as far as it can be given."

She didn't let go of the Paramount, but like, gave him a good 'calm the fuck down' pat. Sighed, considering. "That said, he speaks only rudely the same conditions and honesties the Post has held since its inception, regarding the other polities that come of our dividing, and nobody has threatened to blockade us for that. There's no Alliance precedent to suppressing an attemptedly peacable revolt. The idea that Innis Lorel sought out its liberation out of laziness and greed is unfounded, and kindly in Gundarth's honor, I'll forget it was implied, for if there were a seccession for the purpose of non-contribution, it would be an entirely different conversation. Wouldn't be tolerated. The Alliance was forged in cooperation and mutual protections, so if Innis Lorel is happy to cooperate to the needs of all as necessary, under the condition that they are to be their own in the decision, what reason is there to deny them it? Tempers flared indeed, but so far, the question of 'where does it end' has been answered with 'where we stop working together for security,' a line which Innis Lorel has not shown any intent of crossing. Acknowledging that there's been some debatable execution but some productive ideas, Rioch, Paramount, Prime Minister, I will be assisting the intermediary work that Geród has wisely proposed. It seems the sides of conflict both have one that is willing to advocate for them and is uninvolved enough to speak through in manners we can actually come to an agreement on. We take a breath, we sit down, we confer, and we get this settled so nobody has to go home to more unrest. No threatening, just un-twisting our britches and getting to work like we have all come here to do. Yes?"
Captain Ovis remarked to Durgana that he fully agrees with this clause! He has no personal bias about its contents, of course.
The Cregit Exiro limped out of the room with the Merhotepre ambassador, at a fairly rapid pace, seemingly not quite actually that concerned with his leg or just pushing through the pain temporarily. He rushed over to Captain Ovis first, to explain-

"Sorry good Captain, I have just received a message mentioning a swell in bug forces at the bronze pass, perhaps a large push to test the bronze pass's current strength, and I would like to make a public announcement requiring, and reminding, people to send some forces to help out. As is the duty of the alliance."
Duncan continued shouting, ignoring the return of Exiro. "Tell that to the king's men, not to me! We've done everything we can to secure ourselves! They forced us to resort to arms in the first place, there was no other choice left! It was that or keep being ruled by Doncanan, and they had no interest in negotiating while delaying things was working out for them. So we had to act, or we'd still be at square one!"

Malcolm also seemed not to notice the Cregit, so busy was he in his tirade. "This was no peaceable revolt! This is violence and disorder to further the political ends of the island clans! Not to mention you just heard that, he promised to continue to destabilize our kingdom! I'm sure he'd love the chance to get even richer." He paced around, making it hard for Geród to interpose between him and Duncan. "Large tracts of recently-cleared arable land were seized by force of arms, just to enrich Duncan and his ilk. There was some genuine discontent before all this, we had done our best to improve people's lives to address it, but it was co-opted by the greedy, thuggish seal-fuckers of the island clans' nobility to further their--"

Duncan tore free of Gaara's grasp in a sudden motion and slugged Malcolm in the face. "Say that about my clan again, bastard! Fucking say it again!!"

All pretense of civility had collapsed, and both men's aides rushed in to help Geród and Gaara pull their leaders apart.
"Oh come now, if you're GOING TO FIGHT, do it OUTSIDE THE CUBE! COMMON CIVILITY!" Durgana heckled at the two Scotsmen, rolling her eyes as she kept on hustling about showing important people the article.
Gaara had all of like half a minute to acknowledge the Cregit existing again, and then oh- "NO-" She went in to get Duncan under the arms and pull him AWAY. NO FIGHTING. Gods damned Gundarthians.