Eagle Time
Lucidstuck I - Printable Version

+- Eagle Time (https://eagle-time.org)
+-- Forum: Archive (https://eagle-time.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Forum: Adventures and Games (https://eagle-time.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=30)
+---- Forum: Forum Adventures (https://eagle-time.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=31)
+---- Thread: Lucidstuck I (/showthread.php?tid=1384)

RE: Lucidstuck: It's not over! - TerraTorment - 01-24-2017

>Lucia: hide the bottled soul inside your cabinet, save it for later, and put a lock on it

RE: Lucidstuck: It's not over! - martialAcademic - 01-24-2017

(01-24-2017, 09:26 PM)TerraTorment Wrote: »>Lucia: hide the bottled soul inside your cabinet, save it for later, and put a lock on it

Don't we actually want to bring that with us? The reason we were holding off using it before was because we would get more returns from Azriel's buff, and we're about to be in the same place as Azriel.

RE: Lucidstuck: It's not over! - Fellow - 01-24-2017

(01-24-2017, 09:35 PM)martialAcademic Wrote: »Don't we actually want to bring that with us? The reason we were holding off using it before was because we would get more returns from Azriel's buff, and we're about to be in the same place as Azriel.
Not to mention that we know Raziel isn't there to steal it. Unless you think DT would take it from Reggie we'll be fine.

Also:

>Bambino: Have wandered off to tell the kids about Alice.

RE: Lucidstuck: It's not over! - martialAcademic - 01-25-2017

>Lucia: Ask Derrick if he'd be fine with taking a quick detour to go grab the copy of his diary from Locad.

RE: Lucidstuck: It's not over! - Heyoceama - 01-25-2017

(01-25-2017, 02:30 AM)martialAcademic Wrote: »>Lucia: Ask Derrick if he'd be fine with taking a quick detour to go grab the copy of his diary from Locad.

Seconding.

RE: Lucidstuck: It's not over! - Unclever title - 01-25-2017

(01-24-2017, 05:16 PM)intrepidPioneer Wrote: »
Show ChatlogShow

In other words BCS is a crutch that we shouldn't rely on 100% otherwise when it does run out we'll be left without having mastered our other dream manipulation abilities suddenly having to rely on them.

Ideally we'd be in the opposite situation, so proficient in our dream manipulation that we start forgetting that we even have BCS due to lacking the need to use it.

Recycling old equipment we no longer use/need would be a good idea.

RE: Lucidstuck: It's not over! - Heyoceama - 01-25-2017

(01-25-2017, 02:35 PM)Unclever title Wrote: »In other words BCS is a crutch that we shouldn't rely on 100% otherwise when it does run out we'll be left without having mastered our other dream manipulation abilities suddenly having to rely on them.

Ideally we'd be in the opposite situation, so proficient in our dream manipulation that we start forgetting that we even have BCS due to lacking the need to use it.

A wise investment would be some form of crafting station. Like a place for smelting glass (we've got lots of sand on LoHaM) or ores if we can get access to those. That way we can still make stuff without having to expend BCS and we could use crafting to expand the arsenal further.

RE: Lucidstuck: It's not over! - Scrungus - 01-26-2017

(01-25-2017, 06:52 PM)Heyoceama Wrote: »
(01-25-2017, 02:35 PM)Unclever title Wrote: »In other words BCS is a crutch that we shouldn't rely on 100% otherwise when it does run out we'll be left without having mastered our other dream manipulation abilities suddenly having to rely on them.

A wise investment would be some form of crafting station. Like a place for smelting glass (we've got lots of sand on LoHaM) or ores if we can get access to those. That way we can still make stuff without having to expend BCS and we could use crafting to expand the arsenal further.
On the subject of acquiring ores for crafting...
If I understand correctly if Derrick takes a bunch of rocks and a piece of gold for example he can combine the gold across multiple rocks and end up with many "rock with gold in it" items. We could then use that method to dupe ores for the hypothetical smeltery.

Now that I think about it, couldn't we do the same thing with BCS? We could substitute the gold for BCS and end up with many "rock with BCS in it" items.

Would this actually be effective or is there rules which would prevent this that I'm forgetting about?

RE: Lucidstuck: It's not over! - martialAcademic - 01-26-2017

(01-26-2017, 05:51 AM)Scrungus Wrote: »

If I understand correctly if Derrick takes a bunch of rocks and a piece of gold for example he can combine the gold across multiple rocks and end up with many "rock with gold in it" items. We could then use that method to dupe ores for the hypothetical smeltery.

Now that I think about it, couldn't we do the same thing with BCS? We could substitute the gold for BCS and end up with many "rock with BCS in it" items.

Would this actually be effective or is there rules which would prevent this that I'm forgetting about?

Combining one item across others is theoretically possible infinitely. So far there's nothing we know of that would stop that, aside from item combination tiers. Even then there's a loophole to put one item across infinite others.

The BCS however is resistant to crafting, so that's not possible as far as I'm aware. However, we can do mundane things to BCS to make it work more efficiently.

(01-26-2017, 06:37 AM)martialAcademic Wrote: »
(01-26-2017, 05:51 AM)Scrungus Wrote: »

Combining one item across others is theoretically possible infinitely. So far there's nothing we know of that would stop that, aside from item combination tiers. Even then there's a loophole to put one item across infinite others.

The BCS however is resistant to crafting, so that's not possible as far as I'm aware. However, we can do mundane things to BCS to make it work more efficiently.
Alright. I know pretty much nothing about this kind of thing but would it be possible to bypass the need for BCS by infinitely duping he base components of everything like every chemical in the periodic table? Or if that's too complicated the base components could be things like silk, glass, metal, plastic etc. As I see it the only problem would be that it would take too long but that shouldn't be an issue if we go with the second strategy.

I was also wondering: can derrick uncombine pre-existing items? For example could he take a toaster and seperate the metal from the plastic?

EDIT: I just remembered another important question, what is the range of Derrick's item combination? Could he stand in a dessert and combine an item across every grain of sand? If not then how far can it go? And if so maybe we could weaponize item combination. I think it's worth testing these ideas out at least, if anything the experience would probably increase his skills at least.

(01-26-2017, 06:55 AM)Scrungus Wrote: »Alright. I know pretty much nothing about this kind of thing but would it be possible to bypass the need for BCS by infinitely duping he base components of everything like every chemical in the periodic table? Or if that's too complicated the base components could be things like silk, glass, metal, plastic etc. As I see it the only problem would be that it would take too long but that shouldn't be an issue if we go with the second strategy.

I was also wondering: can derrick uncombine pre-existing items? For example could he take a toaster and seperate the metal from the plastic?

EDIT: I just remembered another important question, what is the range of Derrick's item combination? Could he stand in a dessert and combine an item across every grain of sand? If not then how far can it go? And if so maybe we could weaponize item combination. I think it's worth testing these ideas out at least, if anything the experience would probably increase his skills at least.

Yeah, we should be able to infinitely spread items as long as they are valid combinations. We could also make a thing that just generates those materials too, and forgo the combination part.

Derrick doesn't particularly need to uncombine things like toasters since he can disassemble them mundanely, but hypothetically speaking I don't know. He can fix things with crafting, so it's possible though.

And the range of crafting is "inventory". Basically he actually uses his inventory to combine and uncombine things. It's why Derrick alone can only craft with 5 things at once. He also can't craft things in a dangerous situation so those are major limitations. Otherwise I'd totally start combining the stone of eternity with people's clothes.

As for experimenting, I generally like getting the kids more familiar with their abilities.

(01-26-2017, 07:25 AM)martialAcademic Wrote: »
(01-26-2017, 06:55 AM)Scrungus Wrote: »Alright. I know pretty much nothing about this kind of thing but would it be possible to bypass the need for BCS by infinitely duping he base components of everything like every chemical in the periodic table? Or if that's too complicated the base components could be things like silk, glass, metal, plastic etc. As I see it the only problem would be that it would take too long but that shouldn't be an issue if we go with the second strategy.

Yeah, we should be able to infinitely spread items as long as they are valid combinations. We could also make a thing that just generates those materials too, and forgo the combination part.

Derrick doesn't particularly need to uncombine things like toasters since he can disassemble them mundanely, but hypothetically speaking I don't know. He can fix things with crafting, so it's possible though.

And the range of crafting is "inventory". Basically he actually uses his inventory to combine and uncombine things. It's why Derrick alone can only craft with 5 things at once. He also can't craft things in a dangerous situation so those are major limitations. Otherwise I'd totally start combining the stone of eternity with people's clothes.

As for experimenting, I generally like getting the kids more familiar with their abilities.

The inventory space seems to be the most limiting factor, we would only be able to dupe an item into 5 things. Although it seems like Derrick was combining things that were on the floor in the past, maybe I'm just not remembering right. Do you remember the exact rules for combining? If he has something in his inventory can he combine it with something that isn't in his inventory? If someone's arm were cut off do you think he could combine it back on? This may be too dangerous but is it possible to combine something with Derrick? We could give him extra arms for example or cybernetic augmentations.

Can the combining box use more than 5 items? Also what would happen if someone went inside the combining box? I'm not suggesting we try it but maybe we could put a live monster inside. If it's possible I think we should consider combining the combining box with something that might expand its abilities. If we were to combine the combining box with a glove or something it might allow us to replicate Derrick's abilities even while not in a safe area.

Also if Reggie's feather allows for combining to make item's with Reggie's abilities then we should also try combining the kid's skin/blood/hair samples with things.

(01-26-2017, 07:43 AM)Scrungus Wrote: »The inventory space seems to be the most limiting factor, we would only be able to dupe an item into 5 things. Although it seems like Derrick was combining things that were on the floor in the past, maybe I'm just not remembering right. Do you remember the exact rules for combining? If he has something in his inventory can he combine it with something that isn't in his inventory? If someone's arm were cut off do you think he could combine it back on? This may be too dangerous but is it possible to combine something with Derrick? We could give him extra arms for example or cybernetic augmentations.

Can the combining box use more than 5 items? Also what would happen if someone went inside the combining box? I'm not suggesting we try it but maybe we could put a live monster inside. If it's possible I think we should consider combining the combining box with something that might expand its abilities. If we were to combine the combining box with a glove or something it might allow us to replicate Derrick's abilities even while not in a safe area.

Also if Reggie's feather allows for combining to make item's with Reggie's abilities then we should also try combining the kid's skin/blood/hair samples with things.

Yeah, there are 2 major limiting factors to crafting: inventory size, and tier of the resulting item.

Non-crafted items like a knife he just found are tier 0, but if he uses it in a combination the resulting item is tier 1, and so on. We can only make a stable item up to tier 7, and if we try and craft something past that the crafting fails and the items involved get destroyed.

Also, it's not that we can combine one thing across 5 with Derrick. He has 5 inventory slots, so in this example he would take up one slot for the gold and 4 for the rocks, resulting in 4 gold rocks. However, Derrick's available inventory space is supposed to be able to combine with Lucia's once she gets Dark Twin, resulting in a total 11 (she has 6).

As for the on the floor/not in inventory crafting, the way it was explained to me (more than a year ago, so my recollection admittedly might be fuzzy) was that they were "still kinda in his inventory" so something akin to how somebody can have a weapon in their weapon slot but still take it out to use it. So in other words, yes they were on the floor, but they were also in his inventory.

Crafting things with living organisms is technically possible if I recall correctly, we just have to be able to put them in our inventory which may or not be possible depending on the circumstances. I believe it was something like "it's possible for crafted (BCS) life or if there is something that lets you do it when you normally couldn't".

As for the box, it uses the person who's using it's inventory, so if the person has more than 5 inventory slots yes. We've been using it so Lucia could craft since she has 6 inventory slots. Otherwise it's exactly the same as Derrick's crafting. If you want a way to use it in a dangerous situation you'd have to figure it out.

And I'm all for harvesting the bodies of children to unlock strange and wonderful powers, but SOME people are against progress because "it's unethical" and "we can just make it with BCS".

In all seriousness though, if we can heal the effects immediately, and make it so that the process doesn't actually harm the children afterwards (no pain, no permanent effects) then I'm all cool with it. Because as we've learned, BCS is actually finite, whereas the kids are self generating.

(01-26-2017, 07:19 PM)martialAcademic Wrote: »
(01-26-2017, 07:43 AM)Scrungus Wrote: »The inventory space seems to be the most limiting factor, we would only be able to dupe an item into 5 things. Although it seems like Derrick was combining things that were on the floor in the past, maybe I'm just not remembering right. Do you remember the exact rules for combining? If he has something in his inventory can he combine it with something that isn't in his inventory? If someone's arm were cut off do you think he could combine it back on? This may be too dangerous but is it possible to combine something with Derrick? We could give him extra arms for example or cybernetic augmentations.

Yeah, there are 2 major limiting factors to crafting: inventory size, and tier of the resulting item.

Non-crafted items like a knife he just found are tier 0, but if he uses it in a combination the resulting item is tier 1, and so on. We can only make a stable item up to tier 7, and if we try and craft something past that the crafting fails and the items involved get destroyed.

Also, it's not that we can combine one thing across 5 with Derrick. He has 5 inventory slots, so in this example he would take up one slot for the gold and 4 for the rocks, resulting in 4 gold rocks. However, Derrick's available inventory space is supposed to be able to combine with Lucia's once she gets Dark Twin, resulting in a total 11 (she has 6).

As for the on the floor/not in inventory crafting, the way it was explained to me (more than a year ago, so my recollection admittedly might be fuzzy) was that they were "still kinda in his inventory" so something akin to how somebody can have a weapon in their weapon slot but still take it out to use it. So in other words, yes they were on the floor, but they were also in his inventory.

Crafting things with living organisms is technically possible if I recall correctly, we just have to be able to put them in our inventory which may or not be possible depending on the circumstances. I believe it was something like "it's possible for crafted (BCS) life or if there is something that lets you do it when you normally couldn't".

As for the box, it uses the person who's using it's inventory, so if the person has more than 5 inventory slots yes. We've been using it so Lucia could craft since she has 6 inventory slots. Otherwise it's exactly the same as Derrick's crafting. If you want a way to use it in a dangerous situation you'd have to figure it out.

And I'm all for harvesting the bodies of children to unlock strange and wonderful powers, but SOME people are against progress because "it's unethical" and "we can just make it with BCS".

In all seriousness though, if we can heal the effects immediately, and make it so that the process doesn't actually harm the children afterwards (no pain, no permanent effects) then I'm all cool with it. Because as we've learned, BCS is actually finite, whereas the kids are self generating.

Yeah for sure. I don't think we should do anything could harm the kids but withdrawing some blood should be harmless. With the current evidence hair seems like the best bet since Bambino's tufts were a valid crating item. I think we should try combining Derrick's hair with a rock to see if we can make BCS.

What's Alice's inventory space like? I've been reading from the mirror so I don't know what the discussion on that was like. Is it infinite?

RE: Lucidstuck: It's not over! - Fellow - 01-26-2017

(01-25-2017, 02:30 AM)martialAcademic Wrote: »>Lucia: Ask Derrick if he'd be fine with taking a quick detour to go grab the copy of his diary from Locad.
It's a way to conjure stuff to be sure, but just how do you plan on getting to Locad?

RE: Lucidstuck: It's not over! - martialAcademic - 01-27-2017

(01-26-2017, 10:10 PM)Fellow Wrote: »
It's a way to conjure stuff to be sure, but just how do you plan on getting to Locad?

I'm responding later at night for both of those comments, so my memory isn't really the best, but isn't Alice's room a portal between the realms? Because that's what I thought they could use. Also, didn't the reapers get to Alice's closet fort through the fort network? So there's that too.

RE: Lucidstuck: It's not over! - Scrungus - 01-29-2017

I've been following this story for awhile now but I haven't started posting until recently. I've been reading from the mirror so I don't really have any reference for this but it feels like this thread is really slow. I don't want IP to rush his work or anything but the posts from the observers seem really infrequent too. Is there some sort of delay that happened? Is everyone on the Discord room?

Maybe everything is fine and I'm just having trouble changing from reading like 50 pages of Lucidstuck a day to being caught up with it. Again I mean no offense to anyone here. Lucidstuck is one of the best creative works I've ever experienced. I stopped reading for awhile and then I randomly remembered it and I reread the whole thing in a few weeks. I'm really excited to see more of the story, if there's some sort of hiatus happening I'd like to know.

RE: Lucidstuck: It's not over! - martialAcademic - 01-29-2017

(01-29-2017, 06:15 AM)Scrungus Wrote: »I've been following this story for awhile now but I haven't started posting until recently. I've been reading from the mirror so I don't really have any reference for this but it feels like this thread is really slow. I don't want IP to rush his work or anything but the posts from the observers seem really infrequent too. Is there some sort of delay that happened? Is everyone on the Discord room?

Maybe everything is fine and I'm just having trouble changing from reading like 50 pages of Lucidstuck a day to being caught up with it. Again I mean no offense to anyone here. Lucidstuck is one of the best creative works I've ever experienced. I stopped reading for awhile and then I randomly remembered it and I reread the whole thing in a few weeks. I'm really excited to see more of the story, if there's some sort of hiatus happening I'd like to know.

Most of us (at least the active ones) are on discord now, and no hiatus has been announced. Most of the conversation just takes place on the discord now.

RE: Lucidstuck: It's not over! - intrepidPioneer - 01-29-2017

SpoilerShow

Derrick: since you're close by and have your maid at hand, ask her for help getting to Gramp's room

[Image: TQtdARt.png]

You decide maybe Ira and Lucia can help you investigate your guardian's bedroom.

Show ChatlogShow

[Image: X7VzwhI.png]

Show ChatlogShow

[Image: TgofGAu.png]

Ira slips her hand into the door's lock and jiggles to vigorously, to no avail.

Show ChatlogShow

[Image: YyL6YGQ.png]

Show ChatlogShow

[Image: mpHI3ao.png]

You enter the Night fort and immediately notice all the gear you and Lucia made for Lucas and Alice are gone. Along with a few other things.

[Image: PLRkvXB.png]

Show ChatlogShow

[Image: tnuHHfp.png]

Show ChatlogShow

[Image: pCjDvfN.png]

Show ChatlogShow

[Image: n4Qqrsk.png]

Ira equips DREAM JOURNAL unlocking BLACK LEGION'S GRIMOIRE. Ira uses Derrick's dream journal as a weapon to create a Grimoire for summoning or utilizing previously slain shadow based monsters or abilities.

Show ChatlogShow

RE: Lucidstuck: It's not over! - Heyoceama - 01-29-2017

> Lucia: Return to the fort network and test out your new power.

RE: Lucidstuck: It's not over! - Panur - 01-29-2017

>Derrick: grab all your shirts from this closet and put them in your backpack, may as well make more armor for the reapers, then check out this tales of the abyss, maybe it'll have something of interest.

RE: Lucidstuck: It's not over! - TerraTorment - 01-29-2017

>Derrick: examine that copy of tales of the abyss, take it, on your way back equip spin to win

RE: Lucidstuck: It's not over! - neferiusNexus - 01-29-2017

No, w8! There's something we have to get out of the way first before anything else gets in the way, like an unexpected battle or more angsty teen drama!

>Lucia: Have Ira summon Vorrus and ask her about Nightmare and Alice, and why she chose to give her life for you.

Also smooth operator Lucas! ^^

RE: Lucidstuck: It's not over! - martialAcademic - 01-29-2017

(01-29-2017, 02:02 PM)neferiusNexus Wrote: »No, w8! There's something we have to get out of the way first before anything else gets in the way, like an unexpected battle or more angsty teen drama!

>Lucia: Have Ira summon Vorrus and ask her about Nightmare and Alice, and why she chose to give her life for you.

Also smooth operator Lucas! ^^

This ability doesn't give them the ability to do that. It'd just be a facsimile of Vorrus with her abilities and appearance, not her memories. She wouldn't be able to answer any questions of that sort.

Not to mention she didn't really give her life up willingly, Vorrus was kinda summoned to take the bullet instead of Lucia.

That said, I'm still okay with summoning Vorrus on the grounds of she's strong, useful, and it's another person that looks like Lucia for purpose of shenanigans.

In the interest of making Derrick a real boy again, with feelings and everything I propose:

>Derrick: Gaze upon the poster in fond reminiscence of the first time you met Bambino.

RE: Lucidstuck: It's not over! - Unclever title - 01-29-2017

>Derrick: What if you combined Tales of the Abyss with Tales of the Abyss?

Would that make Tales of the Double Abyss? 2xTales of the Abyss? Tales of the Abyss II?

Ooh... a sequel. Since the current tales of the Abyss tells you information about about your current area while in a dream... would the sequel tell you about future events? That seems a little less than possible... but worth a try.