Eagle Time
Crypt - Printable Version

+- Eagle Time (https://eagle-time.org)
+-- Forum: Archive (https://eagle-time.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Forum: Adventures and Games (https://eagle-time.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=30)
+---- Forum: Forum Adventures (https://eagle-time.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=31)
+---- Thread: Crypt (/showthread.php?tid=45)

Pages: 1 2

Crypt - Pinary - 07-17-2011

[Image: Crypt001.png]

You've arrived at the crypt of the day. As far as you know, there's not much to separate it from any of the dozens of other crypts you've investigated over the course of your career. Some would say you're a crypt expert. Others might call you obsessed. The only thing you'd call yourself is...

[Image: Crypt002.png]

That's right, the very same Cliff Brayson who solved the mysteries of the Interlocked Tombs, cracked the code of the Canadian cadaver, and singlehandedly worked out the message hidden in King Tut's teeth.

[Image: Crypt003.png]

The very same Cliff Brayson who's just gone into the crypt while we've been out here talking about you.

[Image: Crypt004.png]

Inside, we find you looking with casual interest at the far wall of the entry chamber. To the left of the door, there are a number of words, symbols, and letters.

[Image: Crypt005.png]

SpoilerShow

Looks like these A's can be changed by pressing the buttons above and below them, and presumably a combination 'submitted' with the button on the right. Maybe the right combination will open the door?

> _

(Solution:)
SpoilerShow

Re: Crypt - Pinary - 07-17-2011

Quote:XEKCVHV

[Image: Crypt006.png]

You put in your code, hit the button, and...

[Image: Crypt007.png]

Bam! Door's open! That's one point for archaeology, no points for loser dead guy! What now, huh? Dead people got nothing. NOTHING.

[Image: Crypt008.png]

Well, apparently dead people got two doors. That's something at least, you suppose.

[Image: Crypt009.png]
SpoilerShow

You assume that those arrow-shaped buttons will open one or the other of the doors. Of course, consummate professional that you are, you wouldn't dare push one without being sure which one is correct.

> _

SpoilerShow

Quote:Right

[Image: Crypt010.png]

Bingo. You don't bother with any sort of celebrating, but you're sure that, if you think of a particular manner of celebration in the future around the same time you solve a puzzle, you'll probably do that.

[Image: Crypt011.png]

Back to just one door for this next room. But it looks like you've only got one letter to work with, too!

[Image: Crypt012.png]
SpoilerShow

> _

SpoilerShow

Quote:M
Quote:O

[Image: Crypt013.png]

Hmm... Neither of those answers worked.

> _

SpoilerShow

Quote:Q

[Image: Crypt014.png]

Success! Having not decided on a method of celebration when you solved the puzzle, you don't do anything in particular. Maybe next time you'll celebrate in an interesting manner.

[Image: Crypt015.png]

Next room, then! Interesting, looks like your answer's going to be a number...

[Image: Crypt016.png]
SpoilerShow

> _

SpoilerShow

Akumu Wrote:509

[Image: Crypt017.png]

Having still not specified a celebration in the same batch of thought as when you figured it out, you still don't celebrate.

[Image: Crypt018.png]

Well, this is interesting. It's almost like your decision here will have a massive impact on things to come! (Or perhaps none at all, there's no way to tell.)

> _

Re: Crypt - Godbot - 07-17-2011

> Left

Re: Crypt - Dragon Fogel - 07-17-2011

>Right

(Just to be contrary)

Re: Crypt - whoosh! - 07-17-2011

Let's go right.

Re: Crypt - SleepingOrange - 07-17-2011

>Go right, while making the decision to do the robot dance every time you solve a puzzle

Re: Crypt - MaxieSatan - 07-17-2011

SleepingOrange Wrote:>Go right, while making the decision to do the Charleston every time you solve a puzzle

Re: Crypt - Infrared - 07-18-2011

MrGuy Wrote:
SleepingOrange Wrote:>Go right, while making the decision to do the Charleston plus the worm every time you solve a puzzle

Re: Crypt - Pinary - 07-18-2011

Quote:Right, while deciding ahead of time something you need to decide at the time!

[Image: Crypt019.png]

You yank the lever down to the right, and it cooperates smoothly. You'd think that, in a crypt like this, there'd be a bit more wear and tear, maybe some rusty devices or something.

[Image: Crypt020.png]

Or maybe a cave-in, that works too. This door's pretty thoroughly blocked- you can't even get to the puzzle!

[Image: Crypt021.png]

Oh, well. You'll just have to try this one instead.

[Image: Crypt022.png]
SpoilerShow

> _

Re: Crypt - MaxieSatan - 07-18-2011

Code:
J + R = ( 9 + 18 - 1 ) = 26 = Z.

SALAD + ROMAN = ( 18 + 19 - 1 ), 15, ( 12 + 13 - 1 ), -1(!), ( 14 + 4 - 1 )
= ?OX?Q

So, SALAD + ROMAN probably doesn't factor in, at least not directly.

Aside from that, all I could see was "L is kinda like J" and "Both words are Consonant Vowel Consonant Vowel Consonant." I thought I saw a patter with R-S and L-M, but that was wishful thinking on my part.

Re: Crypt - Dragon Fogel - 07-18-2011

I think we shift SALAD forward by 9 and ROMAN forward by 17 and then Viginiere. I just woke up, though, so I'm not ready to do the math just yet.

Re: Crypt - MaxieSatan - 07-18-2011

Dragon Fogel Wrote:I think we shift SALAD forward by 9 and ROMAN forward by 17 and then Viginiere. I just woke up, though, so I'm not ready to do the math just yet.
Code:
SALAD + 9 (possibly -1) = ZJTJM/YISIL

ROMAN + 17 (possibly -1) = IFCRD/HEBQC

Possibility One: IPWBQ
Possibility Two: HOVAP
Possibility Three: FMTYN

So yeah, unless I fucked up the math, it looks like that's a bust.

Re: Crypt - Akumu - 07-19-2011

SALAD + JJJJJ = BJUJM
ROMAN + RRRRR = IFDRE

BJUJM + IFDRE = JOXAQ

The answer, I believe, is JOXAQ. To celebrate this victory over puzzles, do the Cabbage Patch (animated, preferably).

Re: Crypt - Niall - 07-19-2011

Well I was going to suggest the "Where the hell is Matt" dance, but Cabbage Patch is way cooler.

Re: Crypt - Woffles - 07-22-2011

Salad and Roman both refer to the Caesar cypher. Moving them the amount of spaces the letter indicates, and adding those words, gets me MRADT for n and LQZCS for n-1 during the addition

Using n-1 during the cipher as well gets KPYBR or JOXAQ

huh, Akumu got it first.

Re: Crypt - Pinary - 07-24-2011

SpoilerShow
Quote:JOXAQ

[Image: Crypt023.png]

Click.

[Image: Crypt024.png]

You start to get a bit wary- you've investigated crypts with puns scattered around before, and they never seem to improve in quality as you go deeper. If this one is starting with things like SALAD and ROMAN talking about Caesar, you shudder to think about what's coming. Hopefully it's just a one-off. Hopefully.

[Image: Crypt025.png]

...Huh, more damage. Stone stuff is falling apart, but a lever is oiled?

[Image: Crypt026.png]
SpoilerShow

> _

Re: Crypt - Dragon Fogel - 07-24-2011

Well, I've got this decoded.

SpoilerShow

Re: Crypt - Not The Author - 07-24-2011

Well, can you decipher some of the possible missing letters from some of the larger stone fragments? And what about the rest of the room? No sense leaving options unchecked, after all.

Re: Crypt - Niall - 07-24-2011

Pierre sounds like a homophone for peer. Are there any holes you can look through?

Re: Crypt - MaxieSatan - 07-24-2011

Is that second ROMAN SALAD on the wall potentially relevant?

Re: Crypt - Akumu - 07-26-2011

Pierre Zoelectricdevice?

Try knocking on the door, hopefully that should generate enough electricity to power its opening.

Re: Crypt - Dragon Fogel - 07-26-2011

Akumu Wrote:Pierre Zoelectricdevice?

That's five letters too short!

Admittedly, "Pierre Zoelectricdevice on the door" would fit.