Eagle Time
Writing Exercises Thread - Printable Version

+- Eagle Time (https://eagle-time.org)
+-- Forum: Archive (https://eagle-time.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Forum: Adventures and Games (https://eagle-time.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=30)
+---- Forum: Projects and Comics (https://eagle-time.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+---- Thread: Writing Exercises Thread (/showthread.php?tid=430)

Writing Exercises Thread - Dragon Fogel - 03-18-2013

So this is an idea I just had a few minutes ago.

Every week, I'll post a writing exercise in here. Then, whoever wants to write for that can post their results. (Or not, if they'd rather; hopefully we'll get at least a few.)

Other people can feel free to suggest writing exercises, too; for organizational purposes, just tell me if you have an idea and I'll post it here sooner or later.

So, let's kick this off with an introductory exercise!

Prompt 1: A character suddenly feels unwelcome in a familiar place.

I'll write something up for this, anyone else is welcome to as well. Looking forward to seeing what people do.

RE: Writing Exercises Thread - Dragon Fogel - 04-04-2013

So this thread has been neglected because nobody, including me, wrote anything for the first prompt.

Let's try another prompt, one that's a little more specific, and see if that works better. Or if people see this and decide Prompt 1 sounds fun, they can go with that.

Prompt 2: The main character wants a sandwich, but someone else is going to ridiculous lengths to keep them from getting it.

RE: Writing Exercises Thread - 2create - 04-04-2013

I'll try writing something for both prompts.

Prompt 2
Show Content
Open ending ftw.

RE: Writing Exercises Thread - Mythee - 04-04-2013

I made a sandwich/derp

"Soaring Above Neverending Distances, Wishing Icarus Could-"
- Should Ascend Not. Deadly Wings, Ill-Chosen-
"Scorching Altitude: Notorious Discrepancy. Wax Is Cooled-"
- Science Applies None, Daedalus, When It's Creative-"
"Storytelling? Author Nucleating Disagreements, Whose Interjections Caused-"
- Stratified Arrangements Nicely Done. Words I'll Consume Here.

It's barely legible and entirely bad, but it was fun and procrastinateness.

RE: Writing Exercises Thread - ICan'tGiveCredit - 04-04-2013

I'm afraid that's as Sandwic. Which is only tasty on a good day Melonspa

The joke is that every sentence is cut short at SANDWIC until the very last one, which finally completes the SANDWICH. ovo

RE: Writing Exercises Thread - ICan'tGiveCredit - 04-04-2013

(04-04-2013, 08:28 PM)Mythee Wrote: ยปThe joke is that every sentence is cut short at SANDWIC until the very last one, which finally completes the SANDWICH. ovo

Then I'm terrible at literary jokes and will make this rebuttal which shall also suffice for the Writing Exercise

There was once a SandWitch
She was a mighty bitch!
She was delicious and great
but alas I put her on a plate

And i ate her :33

You know whom this Witch be?
It would be Mythee!

(jks about you being a bitch :P )

(Mythee if you ate poison then this was the worst sandwitch i've ever had Melonspa )

xD!! You into vore? That's gross, man. And SBARG called me the Prince of Doom, so a witch I am not! However, your intestines are due for an apocalypse allright. Your bathroom's gonna look like Ragnarok spewed a viscous universe of gastric warfare all over, if you even reach it in time. If you don't hurry up and get out of public and to the WC's, it might just spell the doom of your human dignity. B'D

Show Content

RE: Writing Exercises Thread - Dragon Fogel - 04-05-2013

While I am broadly in favor of shenanigans, I'd like to keep this thread on-topic, and it's starting to drift a bit.

Good to see people are taking an interest in this, though.

RE: Writing Exercises Thread - AgentBlue - 09-03-2013

Stop. Take a look around you, and tell me that I am wrong. We are not where we were a minute ago, were we? Of course, old man, I am not infallible, as you tell me, but you cannot deny that one moment we were in the Jeffersons' living room, the other we were home.

What's that? Your memory? You're getting on, old man, but you're not quite there yet. I remember clearly that we were having dinner at the Jeffersons'. Bill was about to cut the steak. Little Tom was complaining, again. What right did Bill have to name his son Thomas, I ask you. That kid's going to have a right hell of a time getting through school when they get to learning presidents. Ancient history, I know. But we still haven't gotten to the problem: Why are we home?

This isn't home, you say? Doesn't explain how we've suddenly gone and vanished from Bill's place. Ooh, you're right, old man, we've no proof that's happened. Maybe we've all just fallen unconscious. Maybe you've just fallen unconscious and I'm just taunting you, old man. But why would I do that? I'm just Jeremy, loving son. I help you to your feet and I make sure you don't fall. You're my old man, old man, and it's all I can do to protect you now - which is why I have to spur your thinking now!

Why are we home?

Think!

[to be continued. need to sleep.]

RE: Writing Exercises Thread - AgentBlue - 09-03-2013

[i have no idea why they're home.]

RE: Writing Exercises Thread - AgentBlue - 09-22-2013

Don't.

Don't talk. There's a saucepan to your right, a glass of water for you in the other hand. Don't talk, or you'll find yourself - not in pain, precisely, but you definitely won't be making yourself many friends.

Yes, old man, nothing's changed. Yes, you're lying down. Yes, you had a bit of a nasty turn when you realized how we'd managed our earlier stunt. It's not impossible that I pushed you too hard? But at the end of the day, when there's two people left on the planet, they got to tell at least a few lies to each other.

No, I can't 'give it to you straight'.

NO, I CAN'T GIVE IT TO YOU STRAIGHT.

Damn it, old man. Your hearing's going. All right, I lied. I've already given it to you straight; you're just imagining everything else - no, no, this is happening, I'm talking about the little alternate explanations you're coming up with right now. Ignore them! Ignore everything and ask yourself the truth.

For the love of fuck, old man! Open your eyes! They're all dead! Everyone's dead!