Eagle Time
Is There No TV Thread? - Printable Version

+- Eagle Time (https://eagle-time.org)
+-- Forum: Chat (https://eagle-time.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: General Chatter (https://eagle-time.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: Is There No TV Thread? (/showthread.php?tid=2321)

Is There No TV Thread? - Mamylon - 04-29-2017

I know my media diet doesn't always overlap with y'all's in general, but surely we can all get brehind that great pastime of the 20th century that only actually got good in the 21st century: the television program.

I'm making this thread mostly cause I'm lonely this weekend, just watched the last episode of the Leftovers, and don't have anyone around to about how good the Leftovers is.

I also can't helpfully describe The Leftovers as it currently exists. It's bonkers. It has a reputation for being the saddest show on television (I know lots of people who watched part of the first season and had to stop because it was too sad), but also, this episode played the Perfect Strangers theme over the opening credits and featured a slow-motion montage of two characters jumping on a trampoline, scored by the Wu-Tang Clan. It's by the guy who made Lost and he uses a lot of the same techniques that he perfected on Lost, except for a show that's almost plotless, so all the little mysteries and weird plot threads and motifs are either jokes, red herrings, broad gestures at the unknowable (the central "why did all those people disappear" mystery is definitely never going to be resolved"), or have really mundane, character-focused explanations. At the beginning of this season, a character starts off with a cast on her arm; then we learn that she broke her wrist on purpose by slamming it in a car door; then, later, we learn that she only did this so she could have a cast and cover up the Wu-Tang Clan tattoo that she impulsively got on her wrist; then she learned that the Wu-Tang Clan tattoo was only there to cover up another tattoo.

I also just finished up People Vs. OJ Simpson, which is an incredible 10-hour watch especially if you're my age or younger and don't remember the whole OJ thing. Turns out it was super weird!

My other favorite show currently airing episodes is Better Call Saul--Breaking Bad with less screaming and murder. Vince Gilligan is incredibly good at making TV, so this is the show for people who want incredibly good TV but instead of being about cancer and drug epidemics and Manichaean evil, this one's about, like, automotive repair and how to safely peel tape off a wall.

Also, American Gods is about to drop, and I'm gonna switch over to Hulu at some point so I can watch Handmaid's Tale. Life is good.

RE: Is There No TV Thread? - ☆ C.H.W.O.K.A ☆ - 04-29-2017

when BCS came back i remembered how it and breaking bad are the most stupidly gorgeous shows ever put on television

RE: Is There No TV Thread? - Mamylon - 04-30-2017

i lost my glasses so I'm choosing to fall behind on Better Call Saul until I get new ones. It's the only show where so many shots benefit from HDEyes.

Also probably gonna hold off on American Gods until I get new glasses, because that's supposed to be pretty as heck.

RE: Is There No TV Thread? - Plaid - 04-30-2017

Ive watched the first three eps of the handmaids tale and its very, very good. Normally im really not into things that have violence against women or queer folk but the way its handled here is less... pointless i guess? Im going to keep watching, anyway.

Broadchurch just finished and that was super good. Im a sucker for things that have huge emotional turmoil for the characters and actually address it?

RE: Is There No TV Thread? - Mamylon - 04-30-2017

I'm very relieved that Handmaid's Tale is supposed to be good. I love the book and I love Elizabeth Moss a lot

RE: Is There No TV Thread? - Myeth - 04-30-2017

I'm kinda young so my type of shows might be childish to others but I really loved Wander over Yonder, and it really sparked the child like excitement that school took away. When I heard that season 3 is not coming out I felt really sad.

RE: Is There No TV Thread? - Gen - 05-05-2017

Samurai Jack season 5(?) continues to be hype and like seeing an old friend who hasn't changed a bit besides being able to bleed now.

RE: Is There No TV Thread? - Solekii - 05-05-2017

As a major animation fan Samurai Jack season 5 has been amazing to see.

Also I liked Wander Over Yonder as well and am sad it won't be returning, it got me through finishing my demo reel in time.