Eagle Time
Australianisms & Regional Slang - Printable Version

+- Eagle Time (https://eagle-time.org)
+-- Forum: Chat (https://eagle-time.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: General Chatter (https://eagle-time.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: Australianisms & Regional Slang (/showthread.php?tid=1169)

Pages: 1 2 3

Australianisms & Regional Slang - AgentBlue - 11-06-2015

Having lived in Australia for a fair bit, I've come to notice that the language people speak here is... a little bit not-English. So I'm going to start recording some of the shit I hear, so that we can all marvel at this ridiculous dialect. What about you guys? What sorts of local words and phrases make tourists activate their Blankaloupe face?

Anyway, let's get crackin', mate.

Entry 1: Good Egg

Good egg, descriptor. Used to describe someone who is pretty okay. "He didn't fuck me when he could've. He's a good egg."

This one's fairly straightforward: it's the converse of being a Bad Egg, i.e. someone won't take advantage of others' goodwill and is generally a good person.

Synonyms: alright bloke, decent fella (rare)

RE: Australianisms & Regional Slang - OTTO - 11-06-2015

You must be registered to view this content.

RE: Australianisms & Regional Slang - Reyweld - 11-06-2015

In my school, we must wear our school's uniform every day, so we call normal clothing "Civvies".

Also, bonus slang: I have a friend who calls laundry detergent "Laundry Sauce" or "Sauce", and his whole family uses these terms.

RE: Australianisms & Regional Slang - ☆ C.H.W.O.K.A ☆ - 11-06-2015

"good egg" is over here on the west coast of the united states too

RE: Australianisms & Regional Slang - Reyweld - 11-06-2015

I tried to make a coherent post about how in Canada, we call US colleges "universities", and US community colleges "colleges", but then I gave up and made this.

RE: Australianisms & Regional Slang - Plaid - 11-06-2015

In NZ we combine chips/crisps and chips/fries as referred to by UK and USA culture respectively and everything is just chips. You figure out which is which by context clues, or by everyone just knowing which one you mean? I remember that being one of the things i had to explain to Ren when they first visited

RE: Australianisms & Regional Slang - AgentBlue - 11-06-2015

'straya has this chips/chips paradigm as well, except we complicate things by adding 'wedges' into the mix.

I believe non-uniform here is known as 'mufti', which is a term that dates right back to WWI.

RE: Australianisms & Regional Slang - Schazer - 11-07-2015

Yeah nah

RE: Australianisms & Regional Slang - Plaid - 11-07-2015

We have wedges and mufti too.

Wedges aren't chips though, eating them with tomato sauce is a crime

RE: Australianisms & Regional Slang - SleepingOrange - 11-07-2015

Did you just call ketchup tomato sauce, or do the Antipodes have weird condiments?

RE: Australianisms & Regional Slang - Infrared - 11-07-2015

(11-06-2015, 08:42 PM)Reyweld Wrote: »I tried to make a coherent post about how in Canada, we call US colleges "universities", and US community colleges "colleges", but then I gave up and made this.

This pisses me off, it's like someone made it deliberately complicated, just like not using the metric system! What the fuck is up with that. Elementary > Middle > High > University. End of story.

I think i've said it before but, as a Latin American, it's very weird how in order to sound like you're fluent in English you have to speak in an American accent, even though Brittish accents are far more suited for the kind of pronunciations we're used to. Also, using certain words (like mate, bugger, malarkey) feels very odd or forced, even though it makes no sense since English isn't even my first language in the first place so it's not like i get to hear American English only at all times, sure we're more exposed to it but still.

I'll never for the life of me comprehend the reasoning behind removing the T sound from words, IT'S FIGHT-ERR NOT FIGH-RER, what the hell is a shor-ee? You mean a shorty? I can't bring myself to do it naturally, yet you have to do it or else it sounds like you have a huge accent, which is a huge turn off for Spanish speaking people for some reason.

In Latin America Ketchup is better known as tomato sauce (literal translation) or cátsup, sometimes KECHÚ.

For more Latin American facts talk to me you can find me at triple doble u dot tombler slash infrar dash ed dot com

Or help me and talk to me in Skype, it's very easy to fall out of practice if you don't practice your second language.

(11-07-2015, 12:56 AM)SleepingOrange Wrote: »Did you just call ketchup tomato sauce, or do the Antipodes have weird condiments?

We have ketchup and tomato sauce here, but really they're the same thing. Ketchup is just a flavour of tomato sauce here.

[Image: usd-range_updated-with-final-tomato-ketchup.jpg]

Tomato sauce is a big enough deal here that one of the companies had a v popular marketing campaign about how you couldn't be a kiwi unless you loved your [brand name's] sauce.

RE: Australianisms & Regional Slang - AgentBlue - 11-07-2015

Not gonna lie Plaid, I have a thing of Wattie's termater sauce in my fridge right now

RE: Australianisms & Regional Slang - SleepingOrange - 11-07-2015

what

I feel like next someone will say mayonnaise is just one flavor in a line of "egg gravies"

RE: Australianisms & Regional Slang - Robust Laser - 11-07-2015

So hold on what do you put on your pizza underneath all the toppings

if you people are putting ketchup on your pizza i can't look at any of you any more

RE: Australianisms & Regional Slang - AgentBlue - 11-07-2015

Pizza sauce.

Duh.

RE: Australianisms & Regional Slang - Reyweld - 11-07-2015

I always used spaghetti sauce as pizza sauce (both of which are basically tomato sauces anyways)

Tomato paste is for pizza! It does come in a squeezy bottle but only for ease of use; its only an ingredient in other things because its p hideous on its own

RE: Australianisms & Regional Slang - Reyweld - 11-07-2015

I think tomato paste is too thick and concentrated for a pizza. Herbs and other veg are very important (to have in the sauce) to me!

The tomato paste here comes in cans about 1/3 size of normal canned things.

I don't get what the big deal is about ketchup and pizza sauce being sold as different flavours of the same thing, but i do wonder what the hell are BBQ and steak sauce doing there though.

Would mustard and ranch be different flavours of egg gravies??????

RE: Australianisms & Regional Slang - Plaid - 11-08-2015

Pizza sauce is an entirely different thing? That picture is just the watties range to the last 3 wouldn't be considered tomato sauces, as such. Tomato sauce is for chips (fries) and on meat (mostly sausages). Not pizza.

Tomato paste comes in cans, squeeze bottles and a wee tube no unlike one you get paint in here. :B

RE: Australianisms & Regional Slang - AgentBlue - 11-08-2015

Pizza sauce is like mostly tomato but there is also other stuff in it, like I think they mix BBQ sauce in with it as well.

RE: Australianisms & Regional Slang - Schazer - 11-08-2015

Tomato paste for pizzas is just tomatoes puréed with some of the water taken out. Tomato sauce has like spices n shit. Maybe vinegar?

RE: Australianisms & Regional Slang - Schazer - 11-08-2015

Taking the piss, pulling your tit, yanking your chain, knifey pipey blamey gamey, down at the pokies, on the piss, on the turps, not knowing how to tell your ass from your elbow