Eagle Time
Real talk, Hawkspace should be merged with Gen. Chat - Printable Version

+- Eagle Time (https://eagle-time.org)
+-- Forum: Archive (https://eagle-time.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Forum: BAWK BAWK (https://eagle-time.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=34)
+---- Forum: Hawkspace (https://eagle-time.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=35)
+---- Thread: Real talk, Hawkspace should be merged with Gen. Chat (/showthread.php?tid=1017)

Pages: 1 2

Real talk, Hawkspace should be merged with Gen. Chat - Infrared - 03-04-2015

It's redundant. It's been a while since the "rules" of hawkspace were debated and i don't recall anyone getting to a conclusion, i also haven't noticed anything different so nothing really changed either. I don't see the point in having a separate subforum that completely replaces another but keeping the replaced sub forum around for no reason either.

I think we've had enough time to test this "anything goes" kind of thing and i think it went pretty well; not like we had a lot of posts anyway - the community has moved away from the forum format, which is fine, but we should keep what's left of it neat and tidy.

RE: Real talk, Hawkspace should be merged with Gen. Chat - Infrared - 03-04-2015

Speaking of the forum format, it just occurred to me that we were too preoccupied with "shitposting", making "quality" posts and just generally being hyper self aware. Now look what we've become, that one forum with Bandages and co. must be rejoicing.

RE: Real talk, Hawkspace should be merged with Gen. Chat - Jacquerel - 03-04-2015

makes sense to me

RE: Real talk, Hawkspace should be merged with Gen. Chat - Loather - 03-04-2015

well, i hate to toot the sound of my own horn

RE: Real talk, Hawkspace should be merged with Gen. Chat - ICan'tGiveCredit - 03-04-2015

we are trying to bring the feel of an irc to a forum. This allows us to engage in MUCH GREATER SILLYNESS THAN IS SPIRITUALLY POSSIBLE!!!!!!!!

RE: Real talk, Hawkspace should be merged with Gen. Chat - Reyweld - 03-04-2015

I vote for bigro having their own subforum, provided another subforum is added within that subforum called "parasite", and bigro can't post in it. Ever.

RE: Real talk, Hawkspace should be merged with Gen. Chat - Schazer - 03-04-2015

I'm personally ok with a merge if other folks are (note that I can't actually do this merge myself because I stripped myself of admin privileges, but Pinary is slightly more around than usual so getting him to do the thing shouldn't be a problem).

I definitely think Hawkspace was a good thought experiment or somesuch for the forum; I was definitely too uptight about "quality posting" and this has in part helped me chill about banal shit like that (because for real, there's other stuff in the world to be self-righteous about).

Hawkspace being here or there (but not being neither here nor there!) doesn't affect me much, so I'm asking the Hawkspace regulars (or just folks in general who have a particular attachment to the place):

Q. If Gen Chat had the same "quality control" (i.e. none, neither in the forum rules nor in unspoken social contracts) as Hawkspace, would you post in it? Would you post in it if Hawkspace were made no longer available?

Q. If a merge did happen, would you like the name/description of Gen Chat subforum changed to something that less implicitly says "have discussions about Events" and make it more open to freeform posting?

RE: Real talk, Hawkspace should be merged with Gen. Chat - OTTO - 03-04-2015

You must be registered to view this content.

RE: Real talk, Hawkspace should be merged with Gen. Chat - Solaris - 03-05-2015

the only forum i need, is the friends i made along the way

RE: Real talk, Hawkspace should be merged with Gen. Chat - ICan'tGiveCredit - 03-05-2015

Yarp, hawkspace gives me more xcuses to be a nutcase

RE: Real talk, Hawkspace should be merged with Gen. Chat - Infrared - 03-05-2015

Are there even any Gen. Chat "regulars"?

IMO we should just call Gen. Chat Hawkspace and give it the same description. Like, gen chat should just disappear and we should keep its active threads around and have everything else in there for archive purposes; gen chat was already pretty dead and Hawkspace kind of gave a bit of life to the forums again so

I dunno man we should be nutcases everywhere, what's the point of having a dumb forum if we're not having fun?

RE: Real talk, Hawkspace should be merged with Gen. Chat - ICan'tGiveCredit - 03-05-2015

I'm having fun. The gnomezone? What is that shit even? Pretty riveting and not at all sinister

SpoilerShow

RE: Real talk, Hawkspace should be merged with Gen. Chat - Infrared - 03-05-2015

The gnomezone is your new subforum. You've been officially banished there, just now, by me.

RE: Real talk, Hawkspace should be merged with Gen. Chat - Reyweld - 03-05-2015

To be honest, the only reason I came to Eagle-Time was Hawkspace. It is a refreshing idea that attracts insane people (like me) to the forum. Removing it completely is a bad idea, but merging it with gen chat (provided the only rules are still mob rules) wouldn't cause any unrest (from me).

RE: Real talk, Hawkspace should be merged with Gen. Chat - Schazer - 03-05-2015

As it stands right now the people who have mod/admin powers in this forum consist of:

Pinary (account is a global admin account, Pinary has historically been our "technical" side of the admin team)

Wheat, in Hawkspace (they've got the password to Pharmdrugs, which has mod powers in Hawkspace only). They've gone on record as saying that Pharmdrugs basically only does mod things when people agree it should though.

Some people maybe still think I'm a modmin but I stripped my account of modmin powers shortly after Hawkspace became a thing. I made a safeguard for "urgent" situations in the form of OTTO (a bot account), but I legit forgot the password to that account so I can't actually access anything without Pines' help.

Mechanically speaking, you're welcome to Hawkspace all over the dang forum if that's what you want to do, without consequences. The only enforcement you'll get is your forumnular peers (with no modmin powers) saying whether or not you should/can do that.

I definitely don't want to remove any part of the forum where people are having a good time, and Hawkspace definitely counts as that.

RE: Real talk, Hawkspace should be merged with Gen. Chat - Coldblooded - 03-05-2015

I agree with Wheat, I don't think that this is a particularly necessary or good move at all. I feel like it's just setting up for situations where newbie Eagle-Timers start assuming that places the "Flip the Fuck Out" thread or any place where there's any serious discussions going on as if they're in the designated shitposting forum, where they're allowed to make tasteless jokes regardless of the actual tone of the thread.

"Redundancy" seems a like a pretty weak reason for merging two different subforums that have historically been used for completely different purposes. Leave 'em separated IMO.

(I also have sort of a gut feeling that merging the two subforums is going to lower the overall posting rate somehow, but I don't actually have any sources for this claim, so I guess just take that statement for what it's worth. i.e. Nothing at all.)

RE: Real talk, Hawkspace should be merged with Gen. Chat - OrangeAipom - 03-05-2015

I like pretending that I'm not on the Eagle Time forums.

I'm only here because Wheat told me to and also I'm banned from MSPAF. And also for Zoostuck? Now, at least.

I'm concerned about how you don't know Otto's password.

RE: Real talk, Hawkspace should be merged with Gen. Chat - Schazer - 03-05-2015

Thank yo ufor your concern

RE: Real talk, Hawkspace should be merged with Gen. Chat - Infrared - 03-06-2015

(03-05-2015, 09:31 AM)Wheat Wrote: »
(03-04-2015, 02:39 PM)Infrared Wrote: »It's redundant.
Why does this matter at all, why can't there be two things for sake of there being two things? Do we have to have 100% forum efficiency?

We don't have to, i just thought it was convenient. Having two threads back at mspa was fine because the userbase was huge compared to this one. I mean, it's fine if we keep it like this; like i said before, i'm not saying we should get rid of either one of the subforums, just merge them because it's redundant and kind of confusing to have two.

I also don't think anyone would ever break into a conversation in the feelings thread and be a super silly memelord. I trust y'all.

(03-05-2015, 09:31 AM)Wheat Wrote: »you're thinking of hidden level, which doesn't have bandages on it anymore and no one still on that forum probably has ever thought of this forum/known about this forum for years (much less would they 'rejoice' about a shift in 'post quality'), and also bandages is my friend you should not talk trash unless you can back it up in a brawl. I will fight you. I will fight you ed, in a ring. ringside. it's going down.

I wasn't trash talking though, i don't have any beef with Bandages or anyone else from that forum, i just thought it was funny how we shifted to a forum style similar to theirs, i could've brought up the shitposting crew from the mspa chat instead (bread owns, you know the one, i legitimately don't remember any of their usernames) but whatever. Rejoicing was a pretty dumb choice of word.

I do however have beef with you and i will fight you right the fuck now Trog Demands Blood!

RE: Real talk, Hawkspace should be merged with Gen. Chat - ICan'tGiveCredit - 03-06-2015

Why must there be violence? Why do you have to share the beef amongst yourselves? No! I won't concede! Can't I just keep all this beef to myself?

SpoilerShow

*noms burger, glares in ed and wheat's general direction*

RE: Real talk, Hawkspace should be merged with Gen. Chat - Sai - 03-06-2015

I don't think General Chat's even a real general, and I certainly wouldn't feel comfortable serving under her.

RE: Real talk, Hawkspace should be merged with Gen. Chat - Mirdini - 03-08-2015

Agreed with the eminent & snacktastic-as-ever Wheat Thins, let the forum birds fly free.

RE: Real talk, Hawkspace should be merged with Gen. Chat - Whimbrel - 03-08-2015

I think Gen Forums have a more...sophisticated air? sort of?
whereas hawkspace is literally our fun shitposting shantytown
don't mix relaxed content with free-for-all shitpost, no matter how fun it is

RE: Real talk, Hawkspace should be merged with Gen. Chat - OrangeAipom - 03-09-2015

Your standard for sophistication doesn't have to be that high if you're comparing it to Hawkspace

RE: Real talk, Hawkspace should be merged with Gen. Chat - OTTO - 03-09-2015

You must be registered to view this content.