Eagle Time
Four. - Printable Version

+- Eagle Time (https://eagle-time.org)
+-- Forum: Archive (https://eagle-time.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Forum: Adventures and Games (https://eagle-time.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=30)
+---- Forum: Forum Adventures (https://eagle-time.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=31)
+---- Thread: Four. (/showthread.php?tid=2438)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

RE: Four. - NotABear - 07-16-2017

( . . . )
" . . . Try . . . Asking the book for permission to read it? "

RE: Four. - Zephyr Nepres - 07-16-2017

SET. THE BOOK. ON FIRE.
SUCH ARROGANCE. TO ALLOW. YOUR WORDS. TO EXIST. FOR LIFETIMES.
IT IS. THE HEIGHT. OF FOLLY.

UNDERLINE

SpoilerShow

RE: Four. - Myeth - 07-16-2017

I'm not looking when the book devours her soul, nope.

RE: Four. - Seyhial - 07-16-2017

>Green, Blue, Pink and Orange. Do these colors mean anything to you ?

RE: Four. - Dediles - 07-16-2017

>you know, it actually does kinda look like a video game. there was the whole Pokemon battle earlier, and we even have a UI with three cute little pink hearts that I assume represent your health. the only thing that doesn't look like it belongs in a video game, is you Aubrey.

SpoilerShow

RE: Four. - Tuesbirdy - 07-17-2017

(07-16-2017, 10:41 PM)Zephyr Nepres Wrote: »SET. THE BOOK. ON FIRE.
SUCH ARROGANCE. TO ALLOW. YOUR WORDS. TO EXIST. FOR LIFETIMES.
IT IS. THE HEIGHT. OF FOLLY.

UNDERLINE

SpoilerShow

AUBREY
"That sounds incredibly unnecessary."
"What do you have against books? I loved reading growing up."
"Do they not have books where you're from?"

(07-16-2017, 11:04 PM)Seyhial Wrote: »>Green, Blue, Pink and Orange. Do these colors mean anything to you ?

Aubrey thinks for a moment.

AUBREY
"I don't know that they mean anything important, but orange was my favourite color."

(07-16-2017, 11:21 PM)Dediles Wrote: »>you know, it actually does kinda look like a video game. there was the whole Pokemon battle earlier, and we even have a UI with three cute little pink hearts that I assume represent your health. the only thing that doesn't look like it belongs in a video game, is you Aubrey.

SpoilerShow

AUBREY
"Interesting. I suppose the In-Between appears differently depending on the guide looking in? Not that it really matters, so long as we understand each other."

(07-16-2017, 10:40 PM)NotABear Wrote: »( . . . )
" . . . Try . . . Asking the book for permission to read it? "

AUBREY
"It's worth a shot."
"Um... hello, book. How... are you?"
"May I read you for minute?"

Aubrey gives a gentle, if self-conscious smile.

[Image: bookfloat.png?raw=true]

Silence. Then, with a soft hum, the book lifts off the table and glides towards Aubrey. Ada chimes in alarm. Aubrey hushes her with a pat.

**Aubrey's tenderness resonates with the book.**

[Image: bookspark.png?raw=true]

AUBREY
"...Thank you for trusting me."

The book's cover opens on its own accord.

There are no words, but many sparkles.

Aubrey doesn't touch, and admires them in silence. She feels like a regular mahou shoujo.

RE: Four. - typeandkey - 07-17-2017

>Briefly lament that this isn't a pop-up book.

RE: Four. - NotABear - 07-17-2017

" The book seems lively enough. It does not appear to be threatening. Perhaps we should ask if it would like to come along. If it would put Councilor Myeth at ease, perhaps at some point, we can gift it a book cover? It would be like a fancy dress. For a book. "

RE: Four. - Lordlyhour - 07-17-2017

SpoilerShow
The Magical Girl Genre is testing VERY well with our focus groups. We must insist you recruit the book. Merchandising revenue will be through the roof!

RE: Four. - wiltingMyosotis - 07-17-2017

> Switch to third person point of view, please. I'm worried there's something we can't see.

RE: Four. - Arcanuse - 07-17-2017

Well, they are nice sparkles.
I suppose bringing the book along wouldn't do any harm, if it wants to come along anyways.

RE: Four. - Myeth - 07-17-2017

(07-17-2017, 06:57 AM)wiltingMyosotis Wrote: »> Switch to third person point of view, please. I'm worried there's something we can't see.

>This is a good idea, les' do that

" Actually, come to think of it, switching to third person view before entering a NEW room might be a good idea. "

RE: Four. - Seyhial - 07-17-2017

SpoilerShow

> It's just a fucking book. Stop talking with it and move on. Tenderness won't help you get anything done in this place.

(07-17-2017, 02:56 AM)NotABear Wrote: »" The book seems lively enough. It does not appear to be threatening. Perhaps we should ask if it would like to come along. If it would put Councilor Myeth at ease, perhaps at some point, we can gift it a book cover? It would be like a fancy dress. For a book. "

(07-17-2017, 06:43 AM)Lordlyhour Wrote: »
SpoilerShow
The Magical Girl Genre is testing VERY well with our focus groups. We must insist you recruit the book. Merchandising revenue will be through the roof!

(07-17-2017, 08:25 AM)Arcanuse Wrote: »Well, they are nice sparkles.
I suppose bringing the book along wouldn't do any harm, if it wants to come along anyways.

AUBREY
"... You seriously want to add this book to the party?"
[Image: ada_no.png?raw=true]
Ada chimes with indignation, interpreting this as your lack of faith in her abilities.
Aubrey doesn't need another magic item party member, thank you kindly.

(07-17-2017, 10:02 AM)Seyhial Wrote: »
SpoilerShow

> It's just a fucking book. Stop talking with it and move on. Tenderness won't help you get anything done in this place.

AUBREY
"I... no, you're right. It won't."
"My INVENTORY's limited, anyway."

(07-17-2017, 09:27 AM)Myeth Wrote: »
(07-17-2017, 06:57 AM)wiltingMyosotis Wrote: »> Switch to third person point of view, please. I'm worried there's something we can't see.

>This is a good idea, les' do that

(07-17-2017, 09:35 AM)NotABear Wrote: »" Actually, come to think of it, switching to third person view before entering a NEW room might be a good idea. "

[Image: odear.png?raw=true]

You withdraw from Aubrey's POV.

? ? ?
"That book does not belong to you."

RE: Four. - Arcanuse - 07-17-2017

Hey there stranger.
Didn't hear you slink behind Aubrey there.
Mind eh, moving out of the ol personal space bubble?

RE: Four. - wiltingMyosotis - 07-17-2017

> Aubery, someone's behind you. Perhaps you should let the book go, and apologize? If you want to.

RE: Four. - Myeth - 07-17-2017

>"Yup, let's just leave the the thing and goooooo faaaaar awaaaay."

RE: Four. - Lordlyhour - 07-17-2017

A denizen of the In between? The Management suggests you Apologize, and introduce yourself. Explain you were seeking refuge from the Static. Being polite rarely hurts. Especially if you are intruding in someone's domicile. Being Hospitable might mean your host might offer hospitality in turn. Given your position as a guest, and an uninvited one at that, you have a duty to your Host. Even if they do have tacky taste in furniture Grab the Book and Run. The Focus Groups do not lie. Take The Book And Flee from the Confrontation and your ratings will be higher than even before!

RE: Four. - Dediles - 07-17-2017

>hey you did ask for the book's permission, maybe you should lead with that. also wow I can't believe asking for permission worked. I've gotta rethink my strategy for all this metaphysical BS.

RE: Four. - Seyhial - 07-17-2017

> Ask the emo girl(?) about this place. Do not antagonize her before you're sure you can obliterate her.

RE: Four. - typeandkey - 07-17-2017

>Is the book yours?
>She must be part of the welcoming committee. Begin the interrogation. What does she know?

" This unit was starting to worry that this place was deserted. Learning more has immediate, important value. But do keep your guard up, Visitor Aubrey. "

(07-17-2017, 12:33 PM)wiltingMyosotis Wrote: »> Aubery, someone's behind you. Perhaps you should let the book go, and apologize? If you want to.

(07-17-2017, 12:39 PM)Myeth Wrote: »>"Yup, let's just leave the the thing and goooooo faaaaar awaaaay."

(07-17-2017, 01:18 PM)Lordlyhour Wrote: »A denizen of the In between? The Management suggests you Apologize, and introduce yourself. Explain you were seeking refuge from the Static. Being polite rarely hurts. Especially if you are intruding in someone's domicile. Being Hospitable might mean your host might offer hospitality in turn. Given your position as a guest, and an uninvited one at that, you have a duty to your Host. Even if they do have tacky taste in furniture Grab the Book and Run. The Focus Groups do not lie. Take The Book And Flee from the Confrontation and your ratings will be higher than even before!

Aubrey's pulse quickens.
She wonders why she didn't sense this presence—then berates herself for assuming she could.
She turns around slowly.

[Image: talking.png?raw=true]

(07-17-2017, 03:30 PM)Dediles Wrote: »>hey you did ask for the book's permission, maybe you should lead with that. also wow I can't believe asking for permission worked. I've gotta rethink my strategy for all this metaphysical BS.

NotABear Wrote:" This unit was starting to worry that this place was deserted. Learning more has immediate, important value. But do keep your guard up, Visitor Aubrey. "

(07-17-2017, 05:14 PM)Seyhial Wrote: »> Ask the emo girl(?) about this place. Do not antagonize her before you're sure you can obliterate her.

(07-17-2017, 06:15 PM)typeandkey Wrote: »>Is the book yours?
>She must be part of the welcoming committee. Begin the interrogation. What does she know?

AUBREY
"Is this your book?"

The denizen's expression remains static.

? ? ?
"The book is under my employ, yes."
"You can't take it."

AUBREY
"To be fair, I did ask its permission
before trying to read."

? ? ?
"Did you, now? Surprisingly polite for a trespasser."

AUBREY
"Is it trespassing if the door's open?"
"Because I found it that way."

? ? ?
"Curious indeed, considering you shouldn't even have been capable of leaving the area wherein you landed."

Aubrey thinks back to the one-way gate she encountered. Her eyes narrow.

AUBREY
"So that was a cage! You wanted to trap me there? That's some hospitality."

Ada hovers at Aubrey's shoulder, but she dissaudes her from violence with a shake of her head. The being chuckles. Its laugh seems tinged with static.

? ? ?
"Playing the victim when you came into my realm uninvited, hmm? The 'cage' is a simple security measure. Nothing personal. Your sense of entitlement is amusing, if baffling, though it explains a lot."

Aubrey gets the feeling this person(?) enjoys being cryptic at her expense.

AUBREY
"You know what? Nevermind."
"Pardon the intrusion. I never wanted to be here anyway."
"If you can point me to the 'Blue World', I'll leave you to the privacy of your sparkling book and newsprint resort."

The air grows thick with tension.

? ? ?
"The Blue World you might remember is no more, I'm afraid."
"Its Master has long carved out another space in the In-Between over which to rule."

Aubrey's blood runs cold. This wasn't part of the plan.
Ada chimes in distress.

AUBREY
"What now, Council?"

? ? ?
"Hmm?"

AUBREY
"I wasn't talking to you!"

? ? ?
"Moody, moody, and muttering to yourself at that!"
"The In-Between does have an adverse effect on long-term Visitors..."

**Aubrey's emotions roil.**

TUTORIAL
The more emotional Aubrey becomes, the hotter burns her WILL.
It shall draw the In-Between's less savory inhabitants like ants to a sugar jar.
If you want to unlock Aubrey's STRESS METER as part of the HUD,
why don't you try getting closer to her? Revealing one's innermost feelings
requires a great deal of trust, after all.

RE: Four. - Dediles - 07-17-2017

>take a breath Aubrey. no plan survives contact and all that. we'll find a way.