Eagle Time
[IC] Swords Beneath the Starlight - Printable Version

+- Eagle Time (https://eagle-time.org)
+-- Forum: Cool Shit You Can Do (https://eagle-time.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Forum Games (https://eagle-time.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Thread: [IC] Swords Beneath the Starlight (/showthread.php?tid=4666)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26

RE: [IC] Swords Beneath the Starlight - Protoman - 11-22-2020

Casey

[Image: VOoPAvA.png]

"If he's half as crafty as you, I'm sure he's doing fine. Just keep your head up and keep tugging on the string of fate - that's all any of us displaced and dispossessed can do, aye?" He smiles.

"I like the cut of your jib, friend. It's nice, meeting another fellow who's not so grand with heavy armor and musty books. If you don't mind a spot of advice, though? Don't let the past weigh on your shoulders too hard - neither of us have the bulk to be carrying such heavy loads around, and it'd be a shame seeing you get stabbed for the weight of a memory. If you need to talk about it though? Get someone to scrape some of the stones of history off your back? I'm your man. Promise."

Mazelina

Her face lights up a bit at the mention of your little moments of worship.

[Image: wlddtaz.png]

"Oh!! That's-- that's really nice, actually! I do that too. And... I think that idea is very nice -- yes. I would love to try praying together!!" She grins from ear to ear, hands already clasped, both in anticipation and in preparation.

Barnabas

Lain meditates on that for a moment.

[Image: eSKC4CG.png]

"I suppose you're correct. But... I wonder, would it not be better for all if the weight of those choices was not placed on the shoulders of one...?"

She shakes herself out of it.

[Image: zMjNchQ.png]

"Forgive my musings, Barnabas. You've provided me with much to think on. I suppose I can't ask everyone else to try and look past this, yet-- not when so many still bear the scars of my forebears -- but... given the distance between our societies, it would please me greatly if you thought of me simply as Lain, rather than as a noble. No 'lady' Lain, or Lain Altena. Simply Lain. I want nothing more than to be your equal and your friend, if you'd have me."

Milo

Dermid's grin widens, showing big, yellowed teeth.
[Image: 5wuzLcZ.png]

"Ha! Only two rules t'making a proper knight's oath, laddie: first, it has to be noble and right and decent. Second, it has t'be to somethin' greater than yerself. A cause, or an ideal, or even a person. Then all ye've got to do is mean it. Provided ye can work all that up, I think you'll be right as rain, Milo."

Baylee

[Image: fMXbbys.png]

"'Course! Can't hardly say I mind having you around, farmgirl. My door's open any time. As for our goals..."

Her smile begins to show a row of fearsome teeth, and she gives you a mischievous wink.

[Image: MDwphtF.png]

"Think I'd rather keep those close to the chest. Let's just say I'm pretty sure me and the little prince have very different views on how this war should end and what the world should look like once it's over."

Airitech

Lucrezia thinks a moment, then shrugs.

[Image: ZZGYz5q.png]

"Not like I'm an active spy right now, so sure. There's the band that just joined us, first and foremost. Hardly think they're going to turn Rev, but they're enemies of the king. Can't really call the terms of our truce air-tight, even if I know how to talk to Adara. Then there's the soldier boy from your little group; he's got the same air as you. Quieter about it, though. It doesn't radiate out of his every pore, or waft off him like a bad stench. Then there's Lain's posse. I don't trust any of them for a minute, except the priestess. That make you feel less alone?"

Logan

A hum rumbles in Alexis's chest.

[Image: knuaLZd.png]

"...Then they are chained by a foreign power that they cannot understand..." Something clouds their eyes for a moment. Then they snap back to their usual clarity, dreamy as it is.

"...Very well. I swear an oath to you today. This is common in your lands."

They state it matter-of-factly, in spite of the fact that... oaths aren't really all that common where you're from? No more common than any other kind of promise.

"I will fight by your side until your serpent's compatriots are free once more. Should I falter and fail, may my gods and ancestors see me cast down from the greatest height to the lowest pit. This will be my pact."

RE: [IC] Swords Beneath the Starlight - Vancho1 - 11-30-2020

Saya stares at Abner for a moment before breaking out into a smile. They pump their fist in the air and shout,

[Image: f3e2387c872f7290577e2aa85803e3b2.png]
"Yeah! Let's go, forward to greatness!"

RE: [IC] Swords Beneath the Starlight - Pharmacy - 11-30-2020

Airitech to Lucrezia

"Yes," Airitech said, curtly. "Guess puttin' together a hit list would be better than none preparations, eh? Had the Prince got any assassination attempts before?"

RE: [IC] Swords Beneath the Starlight - MQuinny1234 - 11-30-2020

Barnabas and Airitech

[Image: nMexSPx.png]

"Daily?" He asked, surprised. "Alright. Yes, there's not enough time or opportunity for that, yes." He said, thinking about if that was how often humans bathed. That didn't seem healthy. No wonder they all seemed so lost and soft typically.

"Also, to be honest. Worse. It's like you have a grudge as a smell. But that happens sometimes, can't be helped."

Barnabas and Lain

"Mmm..." He reached out a hand slowly, palm downwards to her, offering to shake. "Friends we shall be then, Lain. If you wish I would be grad to reciprocate. But one other thing I will offer you to consider. There is a difference between listening to the words of those under you and letting everyone have an equal say in everything and neither are necessarily better than the other. So long as you respect your position, and those under you respect you likewise, there is honour in making the hard choices, in taking that responsibility. When a warrior fights, it is good for him to know that the decision was based on wisdom for the good of the tribe. considerations made that he has not lived a life to judge best on. When things are hard, it's good to look to a leader than have the option to blame each other. But, as your friend, not just as someone who follows you because I trust your ability to lead, I will support your choices and actions, and if I disagree with you it will be because I am your friend and I know you would want to hear my words."

RE: [IC] Swords Beneath the Starlight - Bigshot - 11-30-2020

Mazelina isn't sure precisely what to pray for. Still, if Lys wants to actually sit and pray with her, then it's worth it to try anything. Maz closes her eyes, centering herself and tucking her hands into her lap.

[Image: 609122be2c04697b63a949860609006cb6ede7a9.png]

"Wonderful. Let's just...try some general sorts of positive wishes and encouragement for our friends and teammates, shall we? You start. Show me...how it is that you pray.  Shall we sing?"

RE: [IC] Swords Beneath the Starlight - TohruFhana - 11-30-2020

Casey and Dorian
[Image: casey_novice_smile.png]

"Aye, I'd like that. Feel free to bring Alex along too! We can all share whatever stories we've got to tell. I'll try to keep your advice in mind till then. Thank you for the insight, my friend."

RE: [IC] Swords Beneath the Starlight - Anomaly - 12-03-2020

Logan stares blankly for the longest time.

"Sorry, what? Ye don't- Well- Uhh. I mean. Ye don't need tae..." Logan blinks. "Thanks?? I think? I hope ye don't get cast down into any pits. But. Good tae know you'll be fightin' with me??"

Logan is so confused.

RE: [IC] Swords Beneath the Starlight - pail - 12-04-2020

Baylee grins and lifts her axe.
[Image: a2f7fde224a6dd2dcec6d884f86bcf195847dfae.png]
"Lumber girl. But ya, I'll be comin' around then. Hope ya kin get used to it."

She sets her axe back down and nods.

"Fair enough, honestly though, you jus' sayin you have different plans then him is a good thing ta look forward too."

RE: [IC] Swords Beneath the Starlight - SupahKiven - 12-04-2020

Sunny and Casey

[Image: tmShrTw.png]

"Ah, no. You needn't worry about upsetting me," Sunny quickly replies, shaking her head. "Concern is natural, and I greatly appreciate it. It is just... hrm..." She pauses for a moment.

[Image: QwgUtY2.png]

"This may seem callous of me, but I feel as though the source of my unease rests not with the action, but with its source. It is... strange, to stand where I am with the others, yet have their concern directed towards me regardless." Her lips purse, and Sunny is again silent for a brief second before her smile returns with vigor.

[Image: 1YHEHWt.png]

"To be honest, I was hoping you had some pointers for me, in regards to strategy. I consider myself a scholar, and not of the military tactics variety. Perhaps it would behoove us to find somebody better with such things..."

Sunny and Roland

[Image: twesNZy.png]

"Well, if I may be so rude as to offer my opinion..." She taps her chin in thought, then shrugs. "I don't think you're so bad at things, your highness. After all, I don't think it's much fair to compare our situations."

[Image: CbeI8mT.png]

"I'm simply a traitor, after all. No matter how noble my goals, I've betrayed my homeland for the sake of my personal beliefs. You hold steadfast in the face of such darkness. And I think that you're bound to stumble in such a situation, no?"

[Image: cxBwn6G.png]

"Besides, think of what your loyal retainers may think of you looking up to a vagrant such as myself. Remember that you've got them just as much as you've got me. I may be your loyal scholar, but I am who I am, after all. And if it makes you feel better, I think you've the makings of a hero too. And I'm not one to offer limp reassurances."

RE: [IC] Swords Beneath the Starlight - Protoman - 12-04-2020

Saya

[Image: VXNI16t.png]

"A fellow after my own heart!!! We will be chivalry at its highest, gallantry at its greatest! But before this pact is sealed, we must decide on a name for our merry partnership! Gallant Wings, perhaps? No, that's too obvious... Golden lance? Too passe... What do you think, chum?"

Airitech

[Image: ZZGYz5q.png]

"A few. Truth be told, though, I'm not usually playing bodyguard. But we all play the hands we're dealt; such is life."

[Image: 9b6oM9M.png]

"...Watch yourself out there, old man. If I don't have to strike you down, I don't want to see anyone else doing it either."

And with that, she disappears.

Barnabas

Lain thinks a long moment about what you've just said.
[Image: eSKC4CG.png]

"...I'll have to think on that a while longer. There's... a lot. Much of it I'm still trying to understand. But..."
[Image: MnUwVU3.png]

"It does help to know I have a friend to rely on. Thank you, Barnabas."

Mazelina

Lys swallows down a lump in her throat.

"O-Oh! I hadn't... um... Okay!"

She squeezes her eyes shut, summoning a prayer up with all her strength.

"...U-Um... Goddess, give us... b. Bread."

She slumps. "Oh, it's no use -- I don't know how to pray on the spot. I'm-- I'm sorry!"

Casey

[Image: VOoPAvA.png]

"Good to hear it, mate. 'Til next time, then - if you need a spot of cheer, you know where to find me."

And without another word, Dorian turns on his heel and walks away, giving you a lazy wave as he does.

Logan

[Image: knuaLZd.png]

"It is a pact. An oath, sworn to one's ancestors. There is nothing more sacred to swear by, and to swear a half-hearted oath is to invite destruction upon one's soul."

They nod.

"I will be by your side in the coming battle, should you have me. I look forward to sharing a sky with you."

Baylee

[Image: MDwphtF.png]

"That so? Fine by me. Best keep your hopes up, then, girlie - hopefully you'll like what you see when the time comes."

Without so much as a wave, she chuckles to herself and walks away.

Sunny

[Image: VmdCAf4.png]

"My comrades are good people, but they're loyal to king and country first and foremost. Believe it or not, your traitorous past is exactly what I find myself looking up to in you."

[Image: SCCQxLo.png]

"If I am to reforge my homeland, I need to find my ideals and make them hard as steel. I cannot allow a new Ilya to be mired in the corruption, greed, and squabbling that it was ruined by. If I am to help unite my people, I will have to fight with a heart greater than my own - a heart which can hold the hopes and dreams of all my countrymen. I will need a heart like my father's - a heart like yours, if you don't mind my saying."

He smiles. A rare sight - the young man seems perpetually burdened by the weight of the whole world, but in the moment, he is weightless.

"So, prince or not, I hope you'll accept my continued friendship and my tireless praises. I simply cannot shake the thought that if the old world had a few more traitors, both of our lands would know peace."

RE: [IC] Swords Beneath the Starlight - Pharmacy - 12-09-2020

Airitech to Lucrezia

Airitech stares slack-jawed as the bodyguard disappears.

--

Airitech to Barnabas

"Well...thank ye? Still's annoying even if it be the way of things. If I could change t'way my smell is, I would!"

RE: [IC] Swords Beneath the Starlight - MQuinny1234 - 12-14-2020

Barnabas to Airitech

"Maybe... roll around in something? Your diet perhaps?" He took a few shots of suggestions. "Maybe bath less?

Barnabas to Lain

"Such things can not be learned quickly. Nothing of such value can be. And you are welcome La-. Lain. Friends help each other."

He gave a slightly too-wide smile, a just-close enough approximation to a smile that it didn't break into uncanny valley, although his ears perked up slightly and there was a ruffling sound beneath his cloak as his tail swayed.

RE: [IC] Swords Beneath the Starlight - Pharmacy - 12-15-2020

Barnabas to Airitech

"Hrm. Already tried rollin' in the dirt...and I guess I could be bathin' less since potable woter is precious anyway. But those seem to be...temporary solutions." Airitech looked a little annoyed, but willing to accept advice at least. "What sort of diet though? Eat less meat? I don't think me smells could be comin' from THAT place."

RE: [IC] Swords Beneath the Starlight - Bigshot - 12-19-2020

While Lys is nervous, Mazelina stays composed-- though she smiles a bit wider. A bit bigger.

[Image: 609122be2c04697b63a949860609006cb6ede7a9.png]

"No need to apologize. Would you like suggestions?" Cracking an eye open for a moment, she lets herself relax a bit, leaning back and drawing in a breath. "I like to think, firstly, of those I care about. Wishing for their protection, for their emotional health, for their recovery...and then I move outward. For the betterment of the villages around us, for peace for children, for...for bread. Bread is good, actually. Many don't have enough to eat."

RE: [IC] Swords Beneath the Starlight - Vancho1 - 12-19-2020

"Hahaha! We'll think of something good! How about the Radiant Duo? Maybe not descriptive enough. Ah well! Whatever name we shout first in battle, that's who we'll be! Let's show 'em what we got!!"

They point forward and grin, dashing to explore every corner of the fortress and maybe test out their training field afterwards.

RE: [IC] Swords Beneath the Starlight - SupahKiven - 01-05-2021

Sunny and Roland

[Image: vHE1QMn.png]

"Your Highness," Sunny says, seeming for once in her life at a brief loss for words. And then she composes herself.

"If you continue to flatter me so, I may have to reevaluate my stance on being yet another of your royal servants. I'm not familiar with your customs, but I'd assume it unusual for a simple servant to receive such lauded praise." Her typical playful smile returns.

[Image: 1YHEHWt.png]

"In all honesty, your highness, it would be remiss of me to rebuff your words, so I suppose we shall simply have to consider ourselves friends," She taps her chin in thought, unable to stop her smile from growing ever so slightly, "To think that I would make friends with a prince from another land. How strange the world is sometimes." Sunny looks back at Roland.

"Well, your highness, I appreciate your views, and find myself more enamored with your mindset with each passing day. I hope that being friends will not change your views on me. I always look forward to providing you with more knowledge."

RE: [IC] Swords Beneath the Starlight - Protoman - 01-05-2021

Barnabas

Lain nods, her smile bright and genuine.

"Just promise to remember that friendship goes both ways. If you face any difficulties going forward, you can rely on me as well! Thank you, Barnabas - I genuinely appreciate it. Now, shall we turn our focus to lighter conversation?"

Mazelina

Lys's eyes go wide. You freeze her in the midst of her panic, and your gentle words eventually start to strike true. After a moment, she offers a shaky smile and nods.

"...Yes. Okay. Bread. I can do that."

And so you two begin chanting. Your prayers echo through the hall, the acoustics of the avian architecture creating a pleasant effect as sound bounces through the hall. Once you've finished, her face warms, her smile growing across her face once more.

"...Thank you. That was... very nice! And it was a very different way of praying than the priestesses offered. So... thank you." She nods, trying to sequester her grin.

Saya
[Image: VXNI16t.png]

"Ah! How about the Knights of the Radiant Dawn? Or! Mayhaps the Blazing Blades? We'll find something, I swear it!"

And so he joins you, accompanying you for some sparring and exploration. Your kinship grows evermore!

Sunny

Your flustered response seems to catch him by surprise! He chuckles nervously, rubbing the back of his neck.

[Image: XuI5hwY.png]

"Hah! You think you're surprised? I'm shocked to think I'd befriend a priestess of the Dark God, even as it happens. But it's a decision I'm confident in."

He pauses and thinks to himself before clearing his throat.

"Thank you, Sunny, for being my friend. They're... a rare thing to come by, in times like these; rarer still for a prince. So... thank you."

[Next update will move us to the next map, so conclude your conversations here!]

RE: [IC] Swords Beneath the Starlight - Protoman - 02-02-2021

And so night falls, and the calming dark brings sleep to your weary heads. Your aching bones mend themselves, your bruised bodies collapse under the weight of exhaustion, and your ragged breath finally grows gentle and placid. May slumber heal your broken hearts...
[Image: yXg8qoZ.png]
True to his word, Madoc provides you protection as you journey over the mountains of the Bird Kingdoms. During your journey you encounter the occasional Bird Tribe merchant caravan. They seem friendly enough, but you can't help but feel you're being picked apart by their eyes.

In due time, you find yourselves stationed in a castle bordering the Kingdom of the Beasts. Madoc assures you time and time again that this is merely a pit-stop; he is waiting for supplies for the rest of your journey, and for permission to enter from the Lion King's court.

Some members of your party are taking this better than others. While most take this opportunity to relax, Lain seems anxious to get on the road. If her anxiety is quiet, though, Abner and Adara are louder than the bastardly donkey who's been carrying your water.
[Image: 6pxYp3c.png]

"I fear we're in the midst of gravest folly, my friends! For each day we sit about waiting for word, the fire of our names grows dimmer! Our shimmering star will soon fade from the common folks' minds entirely, and all we've done will be for naught!"

"No idea what he's rambling about, but I think I agree. Gods only know what the Revs are doing to the common folk and the Laguz back home."

Taras (otherwise known as Carlyle) rolls his eyes.
[Image: icXHVq2.png]

"Right. So we should charge forward, abandon our host, and spark a war with another kingdom. Don't get me wrong, I'm hardly comfortable in these lands either, but we've got to keep our heads cool for as long as we can."

"Pah! How can they declare war on us if we haven't got countries to declare war on? Besides, I've a feeling this Lion King could use a humbling if they're the type to bring war to refugees."

"...I'm inclined to agree, though perhaps not to the same extent. I fear that if we stay still waiting for the wheels of bureaucracy to turn, we might find our cause already lost."

Roland shakes his head.

"These lands aren't ours. If this is how things are done here, I say we respect that. We're guests; It would be foolish to spit in our hosts' faces."

Lain bites her lip and turns toward the rest of you.
[Image: TiA3SsN.png]

"...What do all of you think? I'm rather torn on the matter myself."

RE: [IC] Swords Beneath the Starlight - MQuinny1234 - 02-06-2021

Grey eyes glanced to Adara, then nodded slowly.

"There is a time for respect to be shown, and a time where that respect must be balanced against the lives being lost. The lives each of us are here for. If it is viewed as spitting in their face, then if I must be cut down for that disrespect to share the words and plights of my people, of kinship between us so be it with no fear of the cost."

He said gruffly, the hairs along his body a little hackled. "We're only a small band, so perhaps our intrusion would be more easily forgiven, but as it is. Would you respect a group that waits days for permission to plead for aid, to seek a stopping of bloodshed of family? No, this is not the time for such things and any longer would be as wrong as it is shameful."

RE: [IC] Swords Beneath the Starlight - SupahKiven - 02-06-2021

Sunny watches the conversation with growing interest, an amused smirk on her face. Once Barnabas speaks, she chimes in, face not losing her shitty grin.

[Image: twesNZy.png]

"To be completely honest, I haven't a care in the world how long we must wait here. Patience is a virtue after all!" Sunny says. She then taps at her chin, "Perhaps I go against my Revotrian roots when I say that I believe that letting things play out is for the best."

"Though maybe those same roots disallow me to understand the ways of others." Sunny directs her stare towards Adara, and then Barnabas. "Tell me, what is our plan, if not wait for permission? Assault our hosts and hope that our disregard for his people impresses the Lion King? Although..." She trails off for a moment, "I wonder if he is the type to enjoy a slaughter..."

RE: [IC] Swords Beneath the Starlight - Palamedes - 02-10-2021

SpoilerShow

End of dialog with Dermid:
SpoilerShow

Milo, who had been silent for most of the journey through a mixture of awe at the laguz nations and some personal struggle, finally speaks up.

[Image: N34quH2.png]
"I doubt the Lion King would accept a humbling any more than any other ruler of any other nation.  How'd any of the kings or queens or..." he makes a confused gesture towards Adara, "... representatives of the people back in the Ilyun League take it if a group of people stormed their home and demanded aid?"

Milo looks towards Sunny.

"If we think there's a chance the Lion King is looking for a show of strength then being more direct in trying to meet with the lions instead of relying on Madoc is an option, but I don't know if it would be a slight to the only real allies we've had amongst the laguz."

RE: [IC] Swords Beneath the Starlight - Bigshot - 02-10-2021

It's nice, to sing. It's also nice to make a new friend, something Mazelina is still wanting for despite her new party. When she finally gets rest, her dreams are nonexistant, which is a blissful thing as far as she's concerned.

-------------

Come morning, Maz is sure to thank Madoc often, as well as everyone else. This is a big deal, a big journey, and she does her best to wish them and will them safe travels- even if the Goddess isn't listening.

When it comes time for her to offer up her voice, Maz mostly seems confused. Still, she smiles, though there's an incredulous lilt to her voice.

[Image: a078853c10c8af81ed7398825416c7c0421d25a9.png]

"I'm...not entirely sure what our alternatives would even be, here. The only halfway point I can see is trying to find some sort of...middle point to inquire about potentially pressing the matter and insisting on the imperativeness of the situation. Knocking and pestering could also raise ire, though..." For a moment, Maz purses her lips, then sniffles. "Or, I suppose we could try to offer a reason to get let in earlier? Services we could offer, perhaps? We've no goods, but..." No, that's stupid, too. She shakes her head. "While you're right about the waiting being bad, it seems better than angering these folk."

RE: [IC] Swords Beneath the Starlight - Vancho1 - 02-16-2021

Over the time spent traveling, Saya flits around with high energy. They examine the Bird Tribe caravans just as much as they're being watched, and they spend their time staying at the front of the pack during their travels. At the castle, though, they seem restless.

"Time is of the essence! Every day lost is another day that things get worse back home. But... I don't know what we can do right now. Maybe if someone gets a message directly to the Lion King instead of relying on an intermediary? I can imagine some bureaucrat making us wait just out of spite."

RE: [IC] Swords Beneath the Starlight - Pharmacy - 03-02-2021

[Image: SU9sSSr.png]

"Gonna t'be real. I feel like we should probs get the message from King Furball first 'fore we go in playin' hero. I agrees with Saya tho'. Like maybe one o'us should just go to the King? But I'm not that impatient and I doubt any of us have fine erm, diplomacy clothes. Don't want to look like a threat, y'know."

RE: [IC] Swords Beneath the Starlight - TohruFhana - 03-03-2021

After spending much of the journey keeping his thoughts to himself, Casey can't help but trying to get a word in on the present discussion.

[Image: casey_novice.png]

"I say we move forward. To come this far only to return too late, what the point in that be? Besides, Barnabas is right. If we can't stand up for ourselves and our homes, how can we expect to be shown any respect?"