Eagle Time
Music - Printable Version

+- Eagle Time (https://eagle-time.org)
+-- Forum: Chat (https://eagle-time.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: General Chatter (https://eagle-time.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: Music (/showthread.php?tid=40)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39

RE: Music - Granolaman - 09-02-2013

I was unaware that there was even a viable audience for bilingual Japanese-German metal and yet there's the music.

RE: Music - Stij - 09-02-2013

It's not so much that there's an untapped German/Japanese metal market out there, it's that Japanese artists like to throw a lot of gratuitous other languages into their work. Though in the case of the Attack on Titan theme I guess it's kind of justified, because the anime has a lot of characters with German names and the whole thing has a vaguely Teutonic feel.

Revo's German pronunciation is hilarious though

SpoilerShow

Hey Supes you like these guys right?

RE: Music - Stij - 09-03-2013

Hahaha

I had to pretend to like RAM at a party the other day in order to be socially acceptable

Minus the Bear dude has a complex rig and a complex beard. Their use of sampling/pitchshifting stuff is cool

Because they were my friends and I didn't feel like getting in an argument about music in a loud, crowded room, honestly. That's what the internet's for Fact Seagull

To be fair there are a few tracks on RAM that are decent IMO

Yeah, this is starting to look dumb in retrospect

I only mention that story because it seems like a lot of people absolutely love RAM, and I'm kind of surprised. It got a pretty lukewarm reception from reviewers, and I figured that not many mainstream pop listeners would be into its whole 70s throwback thing (especially with the wave of 80s/90s nostalgia sweeping pop), but personal experience suggests it's gotten super popular.

RE: Music - Stij - 09-04-2013

You have fans!!!

Listening to that mix now

edit: I like it. A few familiar cuts but mostly stuff that was new for me. It flows well - the transitions feel very natural. I like how you use Palm Beat and Honey as "bridge" tracks between other material. Bringin' the Funk is a nice interlude after Watch Them Come too.

I am a little disappointed that Glenn Underground's Honey remix didn't get a longer spot, though, because I love that track. Oh well, I guess it's a pretty long mix as it is.

(09-03-2013, 04:41 PM)Superfrequency Wrote: »I know how ignorant saying this makes me look, but they could have put out almost anything and people would have called it their best album ever. That is just what happens when you are a semi-competent artist with a strong image and name recognition. Do you think the sort of people who think RAM is "their best album yet" get Homework, or even understand why it was successful? It wasn't because "they had cool robot masks, lol". The two top positive reviews Wikipedia cites are The Independent and Entertainment Weekly. I think that really says it all.
No, that's fair. The amount of hype and promotion surrounding RAM was ridiculous. Definitely a case of style over substance.

RE: Music - Stij - 09-04-2013

(09-04-2013, 12:02 PM)Superfrequency Wrote: »Me too, but it didn't work at 127 bpm. The drums did, though. Some tracks don't like being sped up.

An hour is actually more of a standard time for DJ sets. This ended up being generally album-length, which I was satisfied with. I didn't want to force more tracks into what I thought was a really consistent selection.

That makes sense

No new music today but here is a hilarious interview with Bootsy Collins

RE: Music - ☆ C.H.W.O.K.A ☆ - 09-04-2013

You used the Jungle Brothers at the end there. It's strange how they went from dick raps to straight-up pop, yet in between they invented* avant-garde hip-hop:

SpoilerShow

In retrospect, if these 1993 bootlegs had seen official release, it would have only helped the Jungle Brothers! They certainly wouldn't be remembered as the bland ones of the Native Tongues by anyone who knew what they were talking about. At least it would have done less to alienate their core fanbase than VIP!
* Maybe. I'm like, 90% sure, though.

RE: Music - Stij - 09-05-2013

Oh yeah, speaking of Honey, I just saw the original version's video for the first time and it's really clever:

SpoilerShow

RE: Music - Stij - 09-05-2013

I recognized almost all of them, but I thought that interlude in the middle was a nod to the video for Outkast's Hey Ya because I'm dumb

RE: Music - Infrared - 09-06-2013

(09-03-2013, 10:24 PM)Superfrequency Wrote: »I am pretty happy with this. I am glad I got it done while it is still hot.

e:
video

I have fans?!?

Neat!! That's a sweet remix.

RE: Music - Stij - 09-06-2013

Meanwhile, in Norway

SpoilerShow

Calling this as the next obnoxious internet meme pop song

RE: Music - Infrared - 09-06-2013

Geez, that is obnoxious.

(09-06-2013, 02:44 AM)Superfrequency Wrote: »Iris' theme

Wow they made Iris look cute in the thumbnail, that's a new one.

SpoilerShow

RE: Music - BRPXQZME - 09-06-2013

Mauro Giuliani, Op. 107 (variations on a theme by Handel); John Williams, 1969.

Heard this one on the radio this afternoon (I drive to the classical station these days; NPR news + good selection).

SpoilerShow

RE: Music - CSJ - 09-08-2013

Why hello there soundcloud what is this holy shit

https://soundcloud.com/gotye/somebody-that-i-used-to-know

edit: Oh yeah, also this.

RE: Music - Stij - 09-08-2013

(09-08-2013, 07:47 PM)CSJ Wrote: »Why hello there soundcloud what is this holy shit

https://soundcloud.com/gotye/somebody-that-i-used-to-know

edit: Oh yeah, also this.

I like Bibio a lot

SpoilerShow

edit:

(09-03-2013, 04:41 PM)Superfrequency Wrote: »Also, every reviewer who called [RAM] disco has never heard a disco record in their life. Disco is hot, bright, and full of energy.

I know I'm late but this is awesome

RE: Music - Stij - 09-10-2013

Little bit of column A, little bit of column B

I didn't realize how many disco songs were straight up about bonin' until I sat down and listened to some of their lyrics

I like that Cloud One track a lot. Re: Moog patches that sound like cats, Rick Wakeman used a similar sound, but it wasn't quite as attacky and resonant.

Those last two tracks are cool too

RE: Music - illisid - 09-10-2013

I see video game music being posted. I stuck the Hydorah soundtrack on my ipod and I'm so glad I did (great game by the way).

but I noticed that the end of this song:

SpoilerShow

sounds a lot like the end of this (not a video game) song:

SpoilerShow

just a cool thing I noticed

RE: Music - Stij - 09-11-2013

SpoilerShow

One of my favorite Metheny tunes

(09-10-2013, 02:20 AM)Superfrequency Wrote: »
SpoilerShow

yesssss this is so good

that bass and that vocoder and that laid-back piano solo and those vocals and uuuuuuuuuuugh

RE: Music - Stij - 09-11-2013

Man, this is really weird for a game soundtrack. I like it!

SpoilerShow

Never really listened to Arcade Fire before but I'm digging their new single

RE: Music - CSJ - 09-12-2013

Thank god I missed the Patrice Wilson discussion. I have gone this far without listening to 'Friday' in its entirety. The closest I got was that bad lip-reading parody.

SpoilerShow

RE: Music - Stij - 09-13-2013

Yessssssssss

Uh, if it's anything like the recent stuff Shorter's put out, it's gonna be p. weird. Fair warning. I'm sure it'll be good, though.

Churros are never a bad option either

RE: Music - illisid - 09-13-2013

Hoop I found a new band I like:

SpoilerShow

and they're playing with reign of kindo in a month and I'm so going to see that.

Speaking of, who here knows reign of kindo? I know stij does, but did I show anybody else? What did you think of the new album?

RE: Music - CSJ - 09-15-2013

(09-12-2013, 03:01 AM)Superfrequency Wrote: »I'll let you know how he is, or at least how good he sounds from several hundred yards away while I am buying churros.
(09-12-2013, 03:01 AM)Superfrequency Wrote: »while I am buying churros
Quote:buying churros
My hate shall pierce the heavens.

Anyway, feeling trip-hoppy atm. Crustation is pretty neat.
SpoilerShow

RE: Music - Stij - 09-16-2013

(09-15-2013, 06:12 AM)Superfrequency Wrote: »Yo Stij

iss hot

I forgot about these guys.

Nice! I love the Lupin the 3rd soundtrack, even though I've never actually seen the movie. Another cool thing you introduced me to IIRC.

SpoilerShow

Related: I have a friend who looks like eerily like Lupin, sideburns and all, and I wish he knew about the Japanimations because it would be the perfect Halloween costume