Eagle Time
[IC] Swords Beneath the Starlight - Printable Version

+- Eagle Time (https://eagle-time.org)
+-- Forum: Cool Shit You Can Do (https://eagle-time.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Forum Games (https://eagle-time.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Thread: [IC] Swords Beneath the Starlight (/showthread.php?tid=4666)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26

RE: [IC] Swords Beneath the Starlight - TohruFhana - 06-03-2020

Casey's relief is visible on his face, though Sunny's reaction is still somewhat puzzling.
[Image: casey_novice_smile.png]

"Oi, don't you worry about that," he insists. "This is my first time away from home as well. Wish it were under different circumstances, aye, but even so. In times like these I reckon we could all use a few more friendly faces hanging around." As Casey attempts to continue, he's cut off by a heavy yawn that he can't manage to suppress. It's enough to make him chuckle, and he ends up dropping the thought, at least for now.

[Image: another_casey_edit_i_guess.png]

"Ah, but there I go again. Thanks for talking with me, Sunny. Figure it's about time we both got some rest before we set off again, yeah?" 

With that, he bids her goodnight before turning to leave.

RE: [IC] Swords Beneath the Starlight - MQuinny1234 - 06-03-2020

Barnabas & Mazelina:

Hmm, should have maybe thought ahead. At least he'd gotten a laugh out of her, for some reason, close enough to a good sign. His tail wagged a little as he smiled more casually.

[Image: nMexSPx.png]

"Specifically?" He asked, puzzled by that a little, but quickly nodding along to her explanation. Singing, dancing, many different expressions of worship then. Maybe Lysistrate wasn't as much of an anomaly as she expected. Perhaps the unique weight put on her shoulders had made her carers a little too worried about their only being one specific right way to do things and given the wrong impression of the reality of worship. But, she also viewed it as strange... Well, good enough for a relationship between just these two if they were both anomalous together. His ears flicked when he was required to give a response.

"Oh, I... Suppose... I mentioned I was curious..." He rumbled off a little, thinking about how to put it. "We don't really, use, magic so much, us laguz. Except for the dragons apparently. It always seemed strange to me, that your kind seems to use it so much more, considering it comes from the gods, right? I mean, if our ability to take the forms of beast comes from the gods too, it makes a little more sense but, we don't, pray for it like you do, we just, pray. And that's it, it doesn't have anything to do with our bodies or really make us any stronger, or anything." He mumbled a little, a small lie turning into a question he'd always wondered about a little. Barnabas seemed a little younger for a second there, as he focused inward.

RE: [IC] Swords Beneath the Starlight - SupahKiven - 06-03-2020

Sunny just smiles at Roland. She takes note of his discomfort, but isn't surprised. It's not a new reaction, after all.

[Image: 1YHEHWt.png]

"You overestimate peoples' desire to hear me out, your highness." Sunny chuckles, "You're the first person to even want to hear of my tenets, much less my way of thinking. Besides, Progress is my favorite topic of discussion. I am unsure if I could ever tire of speaking of Him." She sighs happily. "And I appreciate you lending your ear to a little traitor like me. I didn't come to your side expecting acceptance. Merely... begrudging acceptance?" Sunny pauses for a moment, then offers Roland a half bow.

"I hope you'll make good use of my powers. And consider me, if not an ally, then a useful resource."

At Casey's yawn, Sunny chuckles.

"I suppose a few more friendly faces would never hurt..." She says, then looks up at Casey as he moves to part ways for now. "Perhaps I should be thanking you. This... is quite the unique opportunity for me..." She trails off, then turns to leave as well.

"Rest well, Casey." Sunny says without turning to look at him. "May Progress guide our paths." And then she's off.

RE: [IC] Swords Beneath the Starlight - Bigshot - 06-04-2020

Mazelina listens carefully to all that Barnabas has to say. Or, tries to. When his ears wiggle it's hard not to glance at them, but besides that, she's focused! Really!
[Image: a078853c10c8af81ed7398825416c7c0421d25a9.png]
"As far as actual magic drawing specifically from the gods go, it might be only magic like mine and Lysistrate's. If you'll excuse the admission, I'm not sure even those powers come directly from the gods. It's still my personal belief that it's more our will that conjures these things. Sunny's magic, for instance, I'm not sure comes from a god so much as her own convictions to change the world around her and alter it accordingly. Though...I think devotion to a higher power can really only aid in stoking the embers." For a moment she shifts her weight, tapping at her chin. "All I can do is heal. That's it! That's the only sort of magic I am capable of. I imagine with Lysistrate's skills that she's got more at her disposal, or at the very least will learn it far more quickly than I am capable of. Though, like I've said before, you Laguz are skilled in other ways, and your abilities on the battlefield have been boundlessly useful, Barnabas. I really appreciate you, honest."

RE: [IC] Swords Beneath the Starlight - MQuinny1234 - 06-04-2020

Barnabas & Mazelina:

"Oh?" He considered that, ears perking up. "Well, that's something. I'd always been a little worried about that, but if it's just your kind having more common access to magic, that seems fairer. Although not gonna lie, being able to bring someone back from the brink of death seems quite enviable. More than just strength, but thanks for the flattery. We've got plenty of strength already so..." He admittedly, looking about at the rest of the group. "I don't know, maybe I'm looking for something, something to explain why..." He drifted off, thinking of his home and the invasion, and looked down at the ground, falling silent.

"Strength isn't enough, not physically anyway." He said eventually, an edge of bitterness there. "Belief... There's something to it too maybe. I don't know...It's hard to have faith in them sometimes."

It was hard to have faith in the gods during tragedy when one people seemed to be favoured more than the other. At least Mazelina seemed to confirm that belief in the gods themselves wasn't it exactly, that helped a little. Even if Saedore seemed to be the most prominent one he'd heard of that they cared about and vice-versa, maybe he needed to stop taking their words on things a little, could be biased. He grimaced at himself, sad he was being so critical, maybe unfair. "I apoligise, I don't mean to question your goddess. Thank you for your explanations so far." Barnabas said, bowing his head politely to Mazelina.

RE: [IC] Swords Beneath the Starlight - TohruFhana - 06-04-2020

Casey smiles warmly at Milo's reassurances. It's not often people will agree when he thinks someone is treating him unreasonably, so Milo's frank appraisal of the situation helps him feel a bit more confident of his place in this group.

"Reckon you're right about that," he replies with a laugh. "If a Prince can act like I'm normal, then I suppose anyone can. Either way, I should probably try a little harder not to ruffle Taras's feathers so much. It'll only make trouble for everyone, after all." With that thought finished, Casey's mind becomes stuck on Milo's use of the phrase 'people like us'. He can only imagine the implications of such a thing, and the thought is enough to make his expression turn serious.

[Image: 6RPOUWv.png]

"All that aside, I don't think you should be ashamed of your, ah. "Humble background", as you put it. Maybe it isn't my place to say, but whatever you had to face in your past you've gotten through it all, on your own from the sounds of it. The fact you're still standing here, signing on with a ragtag group fighting for freedom? That's something to be proud of, if you ask me."

RE: [IC] Swords Beneath the Starlight - Palamedes - 06-05-2020

Milo pauses at Casey's response, looking momentarily troubled.  Suddenly, he seems to realize something, letting out a breath, shaking his head, and smiling.

[Image: N34quH2.png]
"Oh, no. I'm not ashamed of, well, that.  Not entirely anyways.  I just mean, well, and I'm sorry if I'm reaching, but I don't imagine either of us came from a life of luxury. I certainly didn't, and I think it's hard for a lot of folk to realize that life isn't always filled with choices you get to make when you're barely scraping by day to day.

It's like you said, we're fighting for what's right now, and they're going to need to accept people from all walks of life.  Besides... I doubt you've even done anything truly awful to get where you are now, or you probably wouldn't be here with us."

He looks away, attempting to nonchalantly check to see if anyone else is around and listening, before continuing.

"Still, thanks for that.  The uh, words of encouragement.  I... think I am?  Proud, I mean.  I definitely didn't think I'd be standing here, managing to make a difference this way.  It's nice to see that... leaving was worth it."

RE: [IC] Swords Beneath the Starlight - TohruFhana - 06-07-2020

For a moment Casey feigns shock, staring wide-eyed at Milo with a hand to his chest. The smirk on his face easily gives away his lighthearted intent.

"Seen right through me, have you?" he asks with a laugh, not expecting a serious answer. Milo's behavior still strikes him as somewhat strange, but for now Casey simply shrugs it off. "I won't bore you with my life story, but I suppose you aren't too far off the mark." 

"Oh, hey, don't mention it," he replies, as nonchalantly as he can manage. "People like us have got to stick together, right?"

RE: [IC] Swords Beneath the Starlight - Palamedes - 06-07-2020

Milo laughs, genuinely, for the first time in months.

"Ha, fair enough. If we can't watch each other's backs, who can? Glad to hear it."

RE: [IC] Swords Beneath the Starlight - Protoman - 06-07-2020

Mazelina and Lain

Lain simply smiles and nods.

[Image: zMjNchQ.png]

"I'll take it under consideration, ma'am. Thank you."

Sunny and Roland

Roland gives you a gentle smile and a nod.

[Image: SCCQxLo.png]

"An ally is never something to turn down. I simply hope I don't disappoint you. I look forward to interrogating you more - but for now, I need to resume my work. I bid your leave."

He bows before turning back to direct Abner away from causing trouble...

FREE TIME COMPLETE.

After a few hours pass, the looting and recovering part of the battle has finished. Lady Lain and Prince Roland finally manage to meet as your team regroups.

"Your Highness - it is my pleasure to meet you. I am--"

"Lady Lain Altena? Apologies for the interruption - I gathered as much from your comrade's shield." He nods towards Dermid. "No knight worth his salt would fail to recognize the brand of your house, nor the equipment of its mighty guard. You have my condolences regarding the fall of Achaim. I know your pain, and will endeavor to see your city liberated."
[Image: eSKC4CG.png]

"...I appreciate your kind words, Your Highness. I am here on a mission given to me by my father before the city fell. He... He wished that I would grant you the blade of the Goddess. It was his will to see it reach your hands, that the liberation of the continent might be guided by Her divine strength. I wish to fight by your side, and to see this continent liberated by the strength of Renault. Above all, I hope to see peace restored."

There's a brief pause as the prince stares at the sword. His mouth goes agape as he considers what she's saying. First there's surprise, wonder, much the same as you all experienced. Then... something grim passes over it.
[Image: VmdCAf4.png]

"...I'm sorry to disappoint you, ma'am, but... I have no training with swords. My father was famed for his proficiency in them, and I was stubborn about carving my own path in life, forging my own reputation. I never spent a day learning the basics of swordplay. Only ever the axe, and the basics of the lance. A blade of this caliber would be misplaced in my hands."

The silence is tense. There's a palpable tension in the air as Lain processes exactly what he just said. She breaks it momentarily with only a single word.
[Image: eSKC4CG.png]

"...Ah."

It returns, thick and solid. He clears his throat.

"...It is of no matter. We have a whole band of warriors; surely one of them will prove a better candidate than I have in due time. Your companions have shown their valor, and I have nothing but the utmost confidence in them. If you still wish fight by my side, I warn you that the road before us is treacherous. We plan on plunging straight into the heart of the Laguz kingdoms, where few Beorc have been granted passage. I hope we might take to bargaining with the kings there for support. Lucrezia has arranged a guide and diplomat for us. It is our intention to meet with them at the edge of Ilya's former territory. There is no guarantee that the Laguz will grant us safe passage, but such danger is necessary if we hope to win."

He turns to all of you.

"Will you join me? Our chances get much better with such a stalwart band at our backs."

RE: [IC] Swords Beneath the Starlight - Palamedes - 06-07-2020

Milo watches the exchange with some trepidation - an unease brought on by his recent conversation with Lain and still not knowing how she'd react, as well as the guilt that brought forth once again.  He looks at her as she stands taking in Roland's bad news, swallows his unease, and once Roland explains his plan steps forward.

"You don't even need to ask.  If you'll have me, you'll have my support."  Milo manages to avoid a nervous glance at the Lain before continuing.  "I intend to see this through, if we have even a chance of making things right."

RE: [IC] Swords Beneath the Starlight - SupahKiven - 06-07-2020

The exchange about the sword interests Sunny, but only in a... tangential sort of way. There is obviously a historical significance with this sword (it was a gift from their goddess, after all!), but Sunny thinks there's some sort of cosmic irony in the sense that the person this sword is supposedly for cannot use it (thanks to his own choices, nonetheless!). Still, she voices none of this. It's not her history to comment on. Still funny though. She can't suppress an amused smile.

"This is a most interesting development, but you'll not hear me complaining! My magic is yours." Sunny laughs, "For as long as you can tolerate me, of course!"

RE: [IC] Swords Beneath the Starlight - Bigshot - 06-08-2020

At the addressing, Mazelina bows, grip tightening around her staff as she straightens up again.
"It would be an honour to assist. Travelling will be dangerous, but I will do everything in my power to keep folk safe and healthy." A moment later, she directs a smile to Lain. Part of her wants to say something, to offer reassurances, but she bites her cheek instead. Perhaps the smile is enough, for now.

RE: [IC] Swords Beneath the Starlight - pail - 06-08-2020

“Hrm... Laguz lands? Sounds mighty dangerous. I still have no place ta go so I’m comin with.”

RE: [IC] Swords Beneath the Starlight - MQuinny1234 - 06-08-2020

Barnabas glanced to Saya, mildly unsure about this but...

"A journey to the Laguz kingdoms, some there perhaps could be convinced to lend support to my people, and it'd certainly be safer there for me than amongst..." He drifted off his words there, then regained his speed anew, looking at the surrounding beorc's, eye to eyes. "I will endeavour to convince them of your intentions and good will if needed. You've treated us far better than expected during these times, and I am grateful for it." He said, looking back to Saya to check he wasn't speaking out of turn for them by saying 'us'.

RE: [IC] Swords Beneath the Starlight - Vancho1 - 06-09-2020

Saya nods vigorously, agreeing with Barnabas.

[Image: f3e2387c872f7290577e2aa85803e3b2.png]
"Well-said! Yes, we shall continue with you on this journey."

RE: [IC] Swords Beneath the Starlight - Protoman - 06-13-2020

"You're all far too kind. Thank you. I promise, so long as we adventure together, your trust will not be betrayed. We will find a way to save this land, and to end this new age of tyranny. Thank you all so, so much."

And so you set off with Roland and his band, along with your own, into the Laguz kingdoms, into a big new world...

[Image: s2gqduc.png]

You march through the forest, untouched by the Revotrian military's might. Your party has grown, but you travel now through the rough wilderness at the outskirts of Ilya, the frontier leading to the Beast Kingdoms. The history, structure, and culture of these kingdoms is entirely foreign to and lost to all of you - even the Laguz tribes of Ilya have spent centuries isolated from their brothers. Who knows what kind of welcome you might receive. What awaits? Kindness, camaraderie, and hospitality? Or an arrow to the throat?

"...Our contact should be here soon. I have no idea how Lucrezia arranged a deal with these people. I will warn you, they are... unsavory folk. Bandits. They take advantage of the fighting between our kingdom and the Laguz in order to sew lawlessness across the frontier. They raid caravans, attack people simply traveling from city to city, steal their heirlooms and belongings... it is not a pretty sight. Were it not for the circumstances we find ourselves in, I would not subject you to their presence. But here we are."

Lucrezia doesn't speak up to debate what Roland has to say, nor does she indicate she agrees. She simply stands there, waiting. A whistle pierces the silence of the woods and she nods. It's time.

A woman comes tumbling through the air from up above, falling gracefully on the forest floor below. A lance is strapped across her back. She bounces up from her landing position, immediately putting her hands on her hips and offering a coy smile to the group.
[Image: g2l48lg.png]

"Well well well - you must be the first strangers I've seen in a week not dragging themselves along in ghastly bright red armor." She eyes the prince's cape. "...Well. Most of you. I'll take your introductions in order of interest - which is to say, those of you with even a drop of noble blood can save your grumbling for the end."

RE: [IC] Swords Beneath the Starlight - MQuinny1234 - 06-13-2020

Barnabas blinked, a little puzzled by her requested order.

He coughed lightly, and asked "Sorry mam, to check, I assume you mean those of royal blood rather than asking those who consider themselves to be brave and honourable to speak last? Although, perhaps it is honourable to let others speak before you anyway, but maybe just polite." He said, almost mumbling that last bit to himself, considering it, but realised he should continue since he'd stepped in with that question anyway.

He straightened his posture a bit, looking this woman in the eye stoically, even if one of them was squinting a bit, and looking a little more proud and confident than normal even in his tattered clothing. "I am Barnabas of the Vere tribe, from the woods and lands of Travai."

RE: [IC] Swords Beneath the Starlight - SupahKiven - 06-13-2020

"In order of interest? Well, I'd say I'm pretty interesting!" Sunny laughs. "My name is Sunny! Formerly of the Revotrian Republic, I am now allied with this merry band, for the good of the world and other similar niceties!" She beamed at the woman.

"If you'll excuse my obvious presumptuousness... might we get a name from you? I don't wish to address you with such offensive terms as 'that lady'!"

RE: [IC] Swords Beneath the Starlight - Bigshot - 06-14-2020

Perhaps the positives are scarce, but learning more about places few have even touched recently is...fun! Sure, it could be fun. It's at the very least something intriguing, and Mazelina does her best to glance around, keeping an eye out on anything of potential interest. The woman who lands before them does so with a flourish, one that draws her attention, even if it is a bit...much.
"Mazelina. Acolyte of Dore." It's all she offers, though she smiles a moment after. Slightly. "As Sunny said, a name would be nice."

RE: [IC] Swords Beneath the Starlight - Pharmacy - 06-15-2020

[Image: SU9sSSr.png]

"Hello, meadow-haired lady. Me name's Airitech mac Tíre. I come from t'recently conquered Ossory and I had joined t'merry band of heroes (hah) to hopefully make t'world a better place."

RE: [IC] Swords Beneath the Starlight - Protoman - 06-16-2020

The woman smiles at Barnabas, charmed by his question.

[Image: MDwphtF.png]
"An exile, right? You'll do fine around here. Yes, I mean the bluebloods and better-than-thous. You're fine to speak up. Thanks."

Her eyes shift to Mazelina and Airitech.

"A holy woman and a man from the wolf king's court? Fun - you've got all flavors, it seems. I imagine this'll be a lovely little journey we're to have together."

She offers a bow and an introduction for Sunny and all others.

"I am Adara - no fancy surname like your pretty, princely friend, there - elected leader of the Free Peasants of the Wood. You'll find no need to memorize pretentious titles 'round here. All are equal, so long as you're under my protection."

Roland seems unamused.

"As they do in my company. I'll have to ask that this particular line of banter cease, ma'am - I don't appreciate it."
[Image: fMXbbys.png]

"I didn't appreciate your father's raids into my territory, either. But here we are - our interests aligned all the same. You need a guide into the land of the Laguz, and we happen to be on good terms with the Birds. We happen to not like Revotria, and you might have a chance at throwing them back. No love need be lost between us in order for this to be worth both our time."

Lain clears her throat, clearly eager to cut between the two of them before Roland has the chance to escalate.

"A-Ah, I'd love to introduce myself, but I believe the rules stipulated that the rest of our companions go first!! Would you all like to continue?"

She looks to the remaining members of the group, desperation in her eyes.

RE: [IC] Swords Beneath the Starlight - TohruFhana - 06-16-2020

Since Lain and Roland's initial conversation back at Renault, Casey has remained largely silent. He's been feeling a great deal of trepidation at the prospect of entering laguz territory, and Roland's inability to wield Lain's legendary sword certainly hadn't helped in calming his nerves. Seeing the way Roland engages with his own contact shakes his faith even more. If nothing else it's amusing to watch, and Adara's description of herself has already caught Casey's attention. Lain quickly steps in to diffuse the situation, but she looks just as on edge as the prince at this point. Somebody should probably speak up before things get any more heated.

"I'm Casey," he offers with a wave. "Just Casey. I lived in Achaim up til the Republic attacked it. If you don't mind me asking, how many others are there that you lead? I've never heard of a community out here in the woods."

RE: [IC] Swords Beneath the Starlight - Palamedes - 06-16-2020

Milo frowns, distracted by his impulses to scan for what felt like an ambush.  He finally speaks up.

"Milo.  Are you still managing to hold them back?  The Revotrians, that is.  If your our guide and a leader, will your people be alright without you?"

RE: [IC] Swords Beneath the Starlight - pail - 06-16-2020

Hmph. Bandits. Hiding out in the Laguz Kingdom no less. She doesn't seem to eager to talk with these people. Much less tell them about herself.
[Image: 87fc36c5855e7f7b10aa7447985b56ae633ee8bb.png]
She lets out a small, frustrated grunt. "Names Baylee. I come from nowhere imporntnt."