Eagle Time
[IC] Swords Beneath the Starlight - Printable Version

+- Eagle Time (https://eagle-time.org)
+-- Forum: Cool Shit You Can Do (https://eagle-time.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Forum Games (https://eagle-time.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Thread: [IC] Swords Beneath the Starlight (/showthread.php?tid=4666)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26

RE: [IC] Swords Beneath the Starlight - Vancho1 - 05-15-2020

Saya, for one, decides to approach the Renaultese folks! Specifically the prince since they are kinda digging how he did the whole "fought valiantly while surrounded and lived to tell the tale" thing.

[Image: f3e2387c872f7290577e2aa85803e3b2.png]

"Prince... Roland, was it? I must say, you fought as bravely and valiantly as any Hawk under pressure there! I wish my wings were faster so that I could have come to your aid sooner, but such was fate. Tell me, have you met many Laguz in the past? If not, then I hope Barnabas and I have made a good impression for our respective people."

RE: [IC] Swords Beneath the Starlight - Palamedes - 05-15-2020

Milo laughs, but it is entirely without any warmth.  He looks off to the distance, half to check and see if anyone was listening in and half because he couldn't fully meet Sunny's gaze.

[Image: Milo1.png]
"That obvious, eh?  I suppose I was never that good at hiding anything.  Once upon a time I might have even taken you up on the offer, but now I just... I just can't see any point in it.  We act like Progress is all high and mighty and true, but here we are fighting against everyone and everything else we've ever known because we don't agree with it."

He leans forward, finally looking straight at the so called prophet.  "I... I suppose I just don't understand how you got here.  How can you be so sure you're the one who's right, when all of our... countrymen disagree?  How is your faith not shaken?"

RE: [IC] Swords Beneath the Starlight - SupahKiven - 05-16-2020

To Milo, Sunny offers a smile. It's not as bright as normal, but certainly just as genuine.

[Image: 1YHEHWt.png]

"Ah, so it's a question of how I remain steadfast. I suppose that makes sense." Sunny glances to the side. "Well... I believe part of my previous answer applies here as well." She returns her gaze to Milo, smile faltering, but only slightly. "Progress is all I am. Without him..." She glances down at her hands. "who am I? Who are any of us without the beliefs we would fight and die for? I cannot fight my convictions any more than I could the color of my eyes or the place I was born. Nor would I want to. This is a fight that was born within me, I suppose."

Again, Sunny smiles, looking up at Milo with a confident grin. "I'll not push you into anything, but if you ever desire to learn some new tenets, let me know. I'd be glad to pray with you."

RE: [IC] Swords Beneath the Starlight - TohruFhana - 05-16-2020

Casey chuckles weakly in response to Milo.

[Image: 6RPOUWv.png]

"I'm trying not to think too hard on it," he replies, giving a shrug. "When you get right down to it, I don't think my own efforts amounted to much out there. Makes me wonder if I'm really cut out for all this fighting..." Casey's voice trails off, and there's a small pause before he finally sighs, shaking his head. "Ah, but listen to me go on," he remarks, waving his hand casually. "What I mean to say is, I'm relieved you're still in one piece. Suppose that's to be expected though; you're a real soldier after all, right?"

RE: [IC] Swords Beneath the Starlight - MQuinny1234 - 05-17-2020

Well, in the interest of continuing the conversation with Lysistrate, he just gives Baylee and Mazelina a shrug, gestures after her, then follows. Not that anyone would be able to see but his tail wagged a little. He was actually pretty curious, and this kind of, oddness helped distract him from the worries and horrors of current events actually.

When he caught up-

[Image: nMexSPx.png]

"Hey... You okay there? You sort of, left quickly. I thought maybe I could help with, the bodies perhaps, or if you were doing something else?" He asked, trying not to box her into anything.

RE: [IC] Swords Beneath the Starlight - pail - 05-17-2020

[Image: 67a8eb6d5b76dcee309692e6d60036da31defa27.png]
"Well she had ta go sumwhere quick." She turns to Mazelina after seeing both of them run off. "Look's like she ran from ya like you smelled somethin fierce." She gave a big guffaw.

RE: [IC] Swords Beneath the Starlight - pail - 05-17-2020

At another point in time, she approaches Dermid with a somber face.
[Image: a2f7fde224a6dd2dcec6d884f86bcf195847dfae.png]
"Ey.... Did ya know that Revoltrians use children ta fight?"

RE: [IC] Swords Beneath the Starlight - Bigshot - 05-18-2020

Huh. It's strange, that Lysistrate seems bothered only by her presence. It's enough to prompt Mazelina's brow to furrow, a frown curling her lips downwards. Of course, if the girl was bothered by her merely being around, running off to check on her wouldn't do any good.
[Image: 3d7536e4f5beb36d98c0c3771e532b75ff498a00.png]
"I am...not sure what that was about, but someone should go after her that...isn't me." It's clear the woman is bothered, what by the stiff hold of her shoulders, and she watches Barnabas go with that same frown, sighing.

Baylee, at least, tries to break the ice a bit. That's nice.
[Image: 609122be2c04697b63a949860609006cb6ede7a9.png]
"Perhaps I do. Or...something. I thought we worshipped the same Goddess, but perhaps it's my...background that discomforts her."

----

When Lain speaks, Mazelina listens. Her expression is soft and neutral, and she clasps her hands in front of her, proper and nodding her head. When Lain writes herself off, Maz shakes her head, quick to counter.
[Image: 0f6eeecabafbe2078fe398b5b2cf4c69891d3adf.png]
"Hardly, I assure you. Touting around a legendary sword of the Goddess is impressive, even with its grim history. Thank you." The request to tell her own story has has stiffening again, drawing in a low breath.
"A story of my life...well. I grew up with the church. My mother and father lauded it and all of the teachings of the Goddess in all of her Goodness and Greatness. All of my schooling, teaching me to read, to write, to paint, to make music, to carve wood-- it was all for the Goddess. I remember..." She trails off, a smile coming to her face. "I remember waking up early one morning to my mother at the edge of my bed. Brushing my hair away from my face, and telling me it was time for breakfast. She liked to make these little...pies." With her hands, Mazelina makes a round shape, laughing quietly before continuing, "so small, even I could hold. I told her I loved them *so* much, and they were my favourite, and she decided then and there that we would throw away the day's lessons and teach me to make those tiny pies instead."
With that, she clears her throat, straightening up and clasping her hands again.
"I liked to fill mine with fruits. My father liked them savoury. It's...been quite a while since I've seen the ingredients to cook much of anything, but there you have it."

RE: [IC] Swords Beneath the Starlight - Palamedes - 05-18-2020

Milo shakes his head at Sunny's offer, but his eyes soften somewhat.

[Image: N34quH2.png]
"I... suppose that answers my question, at least somewhat.  I'm afraid I'll have to turn you down, for now at least.  After everything that's happened, I... I don't think I can anymore.  Faith... it's a hard thing to get back.  Everything I've seen, I've..."

"I don't think I can hold the same, I don't know, positive attitude towards Progress as you."  He looks down and laughs again.  "It's crazy though, I never thought I'd have to worry about this hole it leaves though.  Thank you though, I think I understand where you're coming from a bit better.  Who knows, maybe you will end up being right about it all in the end."

Milo stiffens notably when Casey asks his question.  After a second he relaxes, and nods slightly.

"Yeah, I suppose.  I was trained as one anyways, as you can probably see I wasn't particularly good at it.  Not enough to stay."

He shrugs, but still looks slightly stiff.

"Learned enough to keep me alive, so it wasn't entirely pointless I guess - and now I can put it towards something good.  Thanks for the concern, regardless."

Milo smiles for a second, goes to speak, but pauses before continuing.

"I wouldn't sell yourself short though, you've made it pretty far so far and put in your share of fighting.  I can't imagine you haven't had your own scrapes in the past from how you handle that knife.  You said you were from Achaim, right?"

RE: [IC] Swords Beneath the Starlight - Protoman - 05-18-2020

Sunny and Lain:

Your metaphor seems to cause lain no small degree of distress. She thinks on it, frowning deep, before shaking her head.
[Image: zMjNchQ.png]

"Perhaps that is simply the difference between our gods. My goddess thinks of people as individuals, individually worthy of redemption and condemnation. Your g..." She seems to hesitate to say the word. "...Progress - even your version of him - seems to think in purely civilizational terms. I hope you'll understand when I say I prefer the way She operates over how he does. It's why I'm willing to trust you in spite of our differences. I think there's still reason to trust you, even if I hate where you came from."

Sunny and Roland:

The prince of Renault seems... disturbed by this revelation.

[Image: eYfT8AB.png]

"...I... I appreciate your honesty. But I have to ask: You say you're a defector; that you don't believe in Revotria's fight. Yet you stand here declaring yourself an ally of the twisted ideal they fight for. Progress is not just a god like any other - he is a symbol of your people's supposed supremacy - of the supremacy of their way of life. How can you hold him in your heart and still declare yourself our ally?"

Milo and Lain:

Lain chuckles.

"Mine did not meet him. I mean... perhaps, through some distant relation...? But no, nothing so fortuitous as that. She delivered it to humanity. It ended up in my family's hands by means of political convenience more than anything. We are not some blessed bloodline, touched by the Goddess herself; just a family belonging to a city that was obscure enough to be trusted with power."

Her face goes straight as she contemplates the rest of the sentence. "...But. I know what you mean - about the challenges of faith in times of trial. The devastation I've seen is unlike anything I would have dared to imagine. The idea that the Goddess would allow the world to simply shatter into pieces is just-"

She's quiet for a moment. She twiddles her thumbs, lets her mind wander.

"...but here we are - in a world that is broken all the same. And we are left with a choice: accept that this is part of a grander scheme, that justice will prevail, and that our wrongs will be righted, or give in to despair. I want to hope: to hope for peace, for a better world, and for a brighter tomorrow. If believing in the Goddess lets me do that, then I'll believe with all my heart."

Milo and Roland and Abner:
[Image: 6pxYp3c.png]

"If you want tips, then it's me you'll want to talk to! Get it? Tips? Because spears have tips? And I use lances? And advice is cal--"
[Image: SCCQxLo.png]

"I certainly wouldn't mind lending my assistance. I am not the greatest tactician of our time, but I know enough about battle to make suggestions. Where do you find you're lacking?"

Casey and Lain:
[Image: TiA3SsN.png]

"...I had hardly left the manor before now. A few trips to other cities, but... never the wilds. This is the most nature I've ever seen - at least without a carriage wall separating me from it. The next closest thing was our garden. It ill compares. And you...?"

Her eyes remain closed, her back remains turned to you as she speaks. It's as if facing you would be some kind of dreadful punishment - one she'd like to put off for just a bit longer.

Airitech and Taras:

Taras chuckles.
[Image: icXHVq2.png]

"Think you misunderstood me, big guy. Disguising ourselves was my idea. You didn't steal anything. I was just saying that it wasn't a lot for me to take in - that I knew all along." He sighs. "Unfortunately, some people can't leave well enough alone. Old man and the girl... ugh." He shakes his head. "I don't know how I got caught up with them. Imagine you're in a similar boat though, yeah? Following a bunch of bastards you have little interest in because it's all the times allow?"

Barnabas and Lys:
[Image: wlddtaz.png]

"O-Oh! Nothing's wrong, I'm just fine, I..." She sighs.

"Oh fooey. That isn't believable at all, is it...? And Sister Marjory would have a fit right now if she found out I had told a lie to a friend... It's just."

Her dimpled cheeks turn down into a deep frown. "She's... She's a woman of the church. And... my prayers-- they aren't. They aren't normal. They aren't the ones the sisters taught me. I... I pray. Differently. When I can, I mean. Words spring up from my heart, and I find myself praying, but I'm praying... wrong. And... and Mazelina, she's so smart, and so pretty, and so nice-- and I wouldn't want to embarrass myself in front of her, or disappoint her because I'm... I'm supposed to be special, but I'm doing things wrong. It would be like when the convent Mother found I was stealing apples that fell from the neighbor's tree into the garden. I hate disappointing people..."

Saya and Roland

The prince meets your bright-eyed gaze with a smile.

"You made an excellent impression, though it wasn't the first. Encounters with Laguz were rare - I wasn't exactly on the front lines when the Wolves crossed the border to loot and burn our villages, though I often wished I was - but my father had a few Laguz friends. Particularly, there was a woman of the hawk tribe - your tribe, I believe. She had fought alongside him when they were youths, and their friendship was the sort which extended across time and distance. I only ever caught a few glimpses of her, only ever heard a few words from her, but she was a magnificent sight to behold. I only hope she's doing well still, given the circumstances..."

Baylee and Dermid

The great big bearded man puts his arms on his hips as you approach, a grin spread across his beard. He seems excited to meet with one so young and full of fight -- but then your question hits, and he withers.
[Image: 5wuzLcZ.png]

"...Aye, lassie, I cannae say it's a surprise. I have nae an idea how th'bastards managed to wrangle a bunch of college lads n' lasses intae the mess, but I've sniffed out that they're much of th' oogum-spoogum dark-magic blighters we've been seein' 'round. All I can hope tae do fer 'em is deliver 'em up tae the Goddess quick an' painless, an' hope she'll have more mercy on them than they did on other little fools who happened tae be on the other side of the book."

He looks again at her, his eyes somber. "...Somethin' in yer voice tells me ye know tha' all too well though, aye?"

RE: [IC] Swords Beneath the Starlight - Pharmacy - 05-18-2020

[Image: SU9sSSr.png]

"Yeeeeep, followin' after them like a dog after sum scraps. I den't exactly mind tho 'cuz like, yeh. I was doin' stuff back at old Oss, but I was basically dilly-dallyin' -- shootin' at dem Revotrians who I deem worthy of judgement by me pointy sticks. Yeh, I did sum good, but it was mostly directionless and unplanned. Not very impactful, no siree."

Airitech stays silent as though he was deep in thought, but he laughed.

"So mebbbe, I joined on a whim cuz I don't have good ideas current. Ha!"

"Anyways, enough about me. I dinnae what's yer exact reasonin' here. I know there be an ideological component. Lots of ideals here, yep. But, no reason to form ye own...merry band of fightmens. World's huge!"

RE: [IC] Swords Beneath the Starlight - SupahKiven - 05-18-2020

Something about what Lain said gives Sunny pause.

[Image: x8mrAKp.png]

"..." She takes a moment to muse before speaking quietly. "Perhaps...no, you do have a point. I'd not noticed this aspect of my beliefs... hmm.." After a moment, however, she seems to perk up.

"Thank you! I'll have to spend some time to reflect on this!" Sunny smiles at Lain. "You're very interesting, Lain. I appreciate that! I hope you feel the same about me, and don't just tolerate my presence because I'm scary or something." She glances away, then turns back to Lain. "I am going to take a few moments to pray and think upon things, but I thank you again for this insight. And hey, if you ever feel the desire to test the 'smiting' thing, I shall be around! Just a word and I will be your loyal test subject." And with a laugh, Sunny trots off, leaving Lain to her devices.

To Roland, Sunny simply nods.

"I... understand your disbelief. My position is a precarious one, and I would not blame you for not believing me. But what I tell you now is the truth." Sunny turns to the side, frowning.

"My homeland looks to Progress from many directions. Think of a stone at the bottom of a river, its image warped by its surroundings. No one person stands in the same exact place, and no one person sees this stone in the exact same form. There are many forms of worship for Progress, and the most common one just happens to be a twisted form that serves a selfish ideal unbefitting of Progress' gifts." Her voice seems to feel with a bit of bubbling venom as she speaks.

"I hold the truth of Progress close to my heart, not a warped vision that serves only to exploit. That is why I am here, because I could not stand to support an incorrect version of my beliefs." She turns back to Roland, gaze steady. "But, as with the others, I doubt you care to hear about the intricacies of my reasonings, and I'll not waste our time. Just know that my Progress is not that which the Revotrian war machine claims to worship, if it can even be called such."

Sunny offers Milo a soft smile.

"I do not blame you in the slightest." She says simply, "From what I can guess, and you may correct me if I am wrong, you've been fed a version of Progress that is uncaring and cold. One who supports development and war for the sake of expansion. I am sorry that the faith has left you wanting... And though I wish to help fill that void, I will not press. Faith is heavy, and is only a burden on the unwilling."

[Image: CbeI8mT.png]

"I hope you'll not think me presumptuous for this, but I like to think we are birds of a feather in some capacity." She laughs quietly. "We're both out of our element, I feel." Sunny pauses for a moment before continuing. "But... well, I'm sure we will find our way sooner or later, right?"

RE: [IC] Swords Beneath the Starlight - MQuinny1234 - 05-19-2020

Barnabas was pretty lost at this. This was really a lot to try and comprehend. Okay, maybe, he'd just pick something in particular.

"Well, you should respect your neighbours but..." Oof, he really didn't like, know the others or Lys history to feel confident telling her he was sure everything was fine. "...I'm sorry, just..." He sighed, sitting down on the ground suddenly, scratching behind an ear and gruffing a bit, thinking.

"I don't really understand a lot of this. Yeah, I guess that lying, and stealing apples, is bad, but you shouldn't beat yourself up too much about it." Wait, was he already a friend? That was fast! Maybe she was just a little too nice, but still. "Tell me more about your prayers, so I understand. Maybe I can offer an outsider's point of view, or talk to Mazelina about it so you don't have to?"

RE: [IC] Swords Beneath the Starlight - Protoman - 05-19-2020

Mazelina and Lain

Lain's eyes close shut in a show of modesty as an embarrassingly honest smile spreads across her face.

"...I... I think that's quite sweet. Your mother sounds like quite a wonderful woman - she must have been, to raise someone so dedicated to doing good in the world in the Goddess's name."

The smile fades. She manages to meet your eyes once more.

"...Truth be told, I wish I had half the faith you show all the time. I believe in the Goddess, in her teachings, but I find myself distressed by the state of the world. Sometimes I wonder if... if maybe she's gone far far away? I carry her blade, and yet my heart is filled with such doubts. So... I am, in fact, rather confident in saying that you have more right to touch it than me. I may be carrying it, but I'm hardly a woman of stalwart faith and unbreakable courage. There are many in our own little company who I am certain would better be fitted to wielding it. Perhaps the prince will lay hands upon it one day... or even his... interesting little knight friend. Maybe even you! Though I can't really imagine you willingly taking up arms, even given what little time we've shared together."

Airitech and Taras
[Image: rdUPtij.png]

"Hah. A dog who's been wrapped up in a plan to save the world... sounds like we have more in common than I thought." He looks up. "You're not so bad, Airitech. Try not to die on the battlefield, alright? I'd rather not be the only pup nipping at the heels of destiny, here."

Sunny and Roland

The prince thinks over what you've said for a moment before shaking his head and offering a kind - if somewhat wary - smile.

"I'm afraid you've guessed wrong. It is only right for a man to know what his allies hold dear. If we are to fight and die together in this war, we would be best served by understanding each other's values - our motivations - so that we can trust one another completely. That's my view, anyways. So... if you would be willing to share your theology - now or sometime soon - then I would be happy to listen. Don't expect a convert, but you'll have my rapt attention."

Barnabas and Lys

"W... Well..." She sighs. "I-- I sing little songs, and make up little poems. Like... um... well-- well I can't do it when I'm under pressure, but. The regular prayers are very serious, and regal, and holy, but when I'm feeling the presence of the Goddess, I just... want to sing! And rhyme!! And it's... it's wrong, and disrespectful, and bad. And I wouldn't want to hurt her feelings, so I-- I left, before I could."

RE: [IC] Swords Beneath the Starlight - Pharmacy - 05-19-2020

[Image: SU9sSSr.png]

"Yeh, you too. If you need a fellow antisocial archer to talk to, I am always here, with a listenin' ear."

RE: [IC] Swords Beneath the Starlight - MQuinny1234 - 05-20-2020

"Hurt who's feelings, your goddess's? Um... Saedore?... Maybe she enjoys the change. So long as you don't intend to be disrespectful, then maybe it's okay?" He ventured. This was a pretty weird issue. Like, it seemed like it could be a small one, but...

"Maybe they're new prayers?"

RE: [IC] Swords Beneath the Starlight - pail - 05-20-2020

Baylee to Mazelina
[Image: a2f7fde224a6dd2dcec6d884f86bcf195847dfae.png]
"Aye don't think she would know about yer backstory yet, aye sure don't. So the only possible option is sumthin goin on wit her. Unless ya want a sniff test, can't imagine ya want one though."

Baylee to Dermid

[Image: a04b41e6dabdb8899d289845548f89bf300fe73f.png]
"Yer correct... Didn't realize it 'till the kid was already gone by my hand. It sure mixed me up inside though. I mean I have siblin's around their age. It hurts something fierce choosing to cut em down like that... I've accepted the sin of taking lives on the battlefield but this was somethin I sure wasn't prepared for. I don't know what ta do if I see em on the battlefield again."

RE: [IC] Swords Beneath the Starlight - Vancho1 - 05-20-2020

Saya stiffens at Prince Roland's words.

[Image: output.png]
"A hawk warrior? Did she..."

They swallow.

"Have golden hair like mine?"

RE: [IC] Swords Beneath the Starlight - Bigshot - 05-21-2020

Baylee & Mazelina:
[Image: 0f6eeecabafbe2078fe398b5b2cf4c69891d3adf.png]
"No, no sniff test needed. Thank you for the offer, though. I am sure it has something to do with her history with the church. That is fine. I wouldn't want to make anyone uncomfortable, so she is free to run." Sighing, Mazelina crosses her arms and purses her lips. "Nothing personal, though. It's just a shame, is all."

----

Lain & Mazelina:
"She...was a wonderful woman, yes. Thank you."
Ahem. The rest of what Lain says doesn't make it any easier to correct her demeanor as her eyes glaze over, but Maz does her best to summon a smile!
[Image: a078853c10c8af81ed7398825416c7c0421d25a9.png]
"Still, I am sure there are few better suited to taking care of the artifact than you. I am not sure anyone in our group can wield a sword, and while I carry the Goddess' teachings with me, I am not suited for combat." For a moment she pauses, hesitating before adding, "I will also let you know that many-- even acolytes-- feel that sort of doubt. It is normal, and natural, and I doubt she thinks any less of you for it." Or goodness, Maz hopes not.

RE: [IC] Swords Beneath the Starlight - Palamedes - 05-21-2020

Milo perks up at Lain's words.

[Image: Milo_Smile_2.png]
"That... helps, thank you.  I never considered I'd be the kind of person who needed faith like that, but if that's what the goddess is to you...

Well, I suppose I can have something like that too.  Dunno if that's the goddess, or just having some faith in your mission, but I don't think any of us survived only to give up."

He fidgets for a moment before continuing.

"Just to go back for a second though, how did the goddess deliver the sword?  Does anyone know?"

Milo awkwardly chuckles at Abner's joke, before returning his focus to Roland.

"I guess I'm just wondering where I should be focusing next, to help fill out our group's needs.  Watching the two of you fight, however briefly, has left me wondering if it would be wise to try and learn how to wield another type of weapon, wear heavier armour, or ride a horse.  I suppose you've both had some experience with one or more of those, and I could use some advice on how I could pursue one of those?"

Milo laughs again at Sunny, but it's a little more genuine this time.

[Image: Milo_Smile_2.png]
"I suppose we are, Sunny.  Renegades and traitors to the homeland.  Speaking of which..."

"I think you're mistaken, on how most of us see... saw Progress.  If the faith was hard, or unloving, losing it wouldn't, I don't know, be so disquieting.  Wouldn't have been as confusing, wouldn't have hurt so much.

To me, and most of those I knew back home, Progress was a way for everyone to everyone to get ahead and have a good life, even a slum rat like me.  We could rise above the set life where you are what you were born into and everyone could prosper.  The rest of the world just needed to learn that, and put behind their old ways and embrace it.  Knowing the truth now, seeing the other side... it's hard to see anything else but that lie.

I guess... that's why it was hard to hear those kids as they died.  I don't know if they knew any better, begging Progress for their lives the way they did.  I don't know how many of our people will still believe that to their dying breath.  Even I had... difficulty learning the truth, and it was a long, hard time coming to it."

RE: [IC] Swords Beneath the Starlight - TohruFhana - 05-21-2020

Casey and Milo

"Aye," Casey replies, "Been there as long as I can remember..." Milo's body language doesn't go unnoticed by Casey, his motions stiff and uncomfortable. He supposes that's why the topic has changed, though he can't say he isn't interested. "Never learned too much about fighting back then though," Casey adds, hoping to keep his curiosity off his face with a cheeky grin. 

[Image: casey_novice_smile.png]

"Got plenty of other talents though! And plenty of stories to go with 'em. I reckon the likes of Taras wouldn't approve of my tales of....intrigue, shall we say?" He chuckles to himself, before once again waving a hand, as if to dismiss the thought. "But that's neither here nor there. Thank you for the kind words," he says, adding a slight bow in an effort to show sincerity. "Like you said, I learned what I needed to survive. Now I'm just hoping to put it towards something better." He pauses once more, looking pensive. After quick consideration, he speaks again.

"You know, one of the most useful things I ever learnt was how to sniff out a secret," he says, matter-of-factly. "I don't know what's got you nervous, but I do know that I can trust you. Don't be afraid to relax once in a while, alright?"

Casey and Lain

"It's the same for me," he replies, holding his a few feet back. He isn't sure whether to approach her with the way she's acting, and knowing Taras isn't too far away makes Casey all the more reluctant. "Well, not exactly  the same, o'course....I've probably seen every inch of Achaim, even some places people like me aren't meant to! But I'd never once set foot outside the city....." Casey's voice trails off, and silence hangs heavily in the air for a moment. It's a bit frustrating, but Casey does his best to keep his manners in check.

"You quite alright?" he asks, though the answer seems obvious. "Is this a bad time to talk?"

RE: [IC] Swords Beneath the Starlight - Palamedes - 05-22-2020

Milo looks at Casey, his expression suddenly hardening in a way Casey might not have seen before.  After a few long seconds he relaxes, loosening up and giving a slight grin.

"Sorry, I appreciate that, and I'll do my best.  Let's just say I'm probably no more proud of how I got here than you are of some of your adventures, but I'm just as eager to put what I can to do what's right with what I can offer.  Oh, and I wouldn't worry too much about Taras.  If a few royals can put up with working with us despite our humble backgrounds he can manage, and it isn't like people like us always had a choice in how you make it day to day when you're born without even an iron spoon, much less a silver one."

RE: [IC] Swords Beneath the Starlight - Protoman - 05-22-2020

Airitech and Taras
[Image: rdUPtij.png]

"I'll keep it in mind. Thanks. And... same to you."

Barnabas and Lys

"No... Mazelina. The Goddess and me have a strong relationship. I know she'd be fine with it. But... that doesn't mean I'm okay with making an acolyte sad, just because I know the Goddess would support me. It'd be wrong. Don't you think...?"

Baylee and Dermid

Dermid shakes his head.
[Image: 5wuzLcZ.png]

"Do nae think like that, little lass. They were wee ones, aye, but from my perspective, so're you. Yer both adults, sure, but neither of ye has had a chance tae establish yerselves in the worl', an' now the whole place is takin' the choice from ye. Ye have tae do what ye must tae survive, aye? Cannae imagine anyfolk begrudin' ye that, just like ye don't begrudge them fer it. If anything, you've got a whole lot less choice in the matter than them. Cannae hold yerself tae a standard the worl' won't allow."

Saya and Roland

He raises an eyebrow.

"...Yes. She was quite different, though, in how she carried herself. Dignified and mature - no offense meant. I suppose there's a resemblance, though I didn't put it together at first... why? Have you met her?"

Lain and Mazelina

"...I see. I apologize, I... I didn't mean anything by it. You have my condolences... and my sympathy. I... Lost..." She shakes her head, deciding to trust in your empathy here. No need to make this about herself.

A minute passes of her starting to speak, failing to find words, and stopping once more before she finally continues. "...If it helps, you don't show it. The doubt, I mean." She tries to offer a small smile. It's sad, but somehow reassuring. "You seem terribly steadfast. It helps me feel braver. I suppose that's the power of faith, isn't it...? To keep believing - or at least, to look like it - even in the worst of times, even when you have every reason to doubt...? I just wish I could stop feeling so ashamed of it in myself." She shakes her head.

"...Thank you, though. For staying calm in the face of all this. It helps."

Casey and Lain

Lain slowly manages to turn to face you, though her eyes remain closed.

"...No, not at all. It's just... very hard to look at you sometimes, is all." Pause.

"Oh, goddess, that sounded terribly rude -- I don't mean it like that! It's just..." She shakes her head.

"When I look at you, I see my father. Not... not in you - but I see all his ideals, and all his hopes, and all his dreams. And I see... I see that he failed. You've made it clear again and again that Achaim was your home, but not your dream. I can only begin to imagine the life you might have lived from how you carry yourself. That is not much, but it is enough - enough to tell me that, for all his willpower, my father failed to accomplish his life's greatest mission. And it makes me wonder what hope I have of accomplishing mine. That's all."

Milo and Abner and Roland

"I suppose it depends on what you're looking for. I tend to prefer heavier weapons and armor, because they tend to take the chance out of warfare. Skill is necessary no matter how you fight; to come in well-defended, though, is to come in expecting a mistake. It is a recognition of your own humanity, and an admittance that you are not perfect. It is--"
[Image: 6pxYp3c.png]

"Pshaw! The prince has read plenty of books, but trust me, I've seen more fighting than him! On the battlefield, mobility is king! You can wear the heaviest armor in the world, but if your friends get slaughtered because you're too busy lumbering around, it means nothing! Besides, a lightly armored knight on horseback is just more chivalrous, don't you think? The heroic embrace of danger! The gallant way your hair goes flowing in the breeze! I bet you'd cut a striking figure on a horse, Milo!"

"...He makes a point. But ultimately, none of this matters. What works for us will not necessarily work for you, and vice-versa. If you want to get there, I would say you should keep fighting with your spear until you've developed a suitable combat style. Then, figure out what sort of additions might best augment or improve that style."

Milo and Lain

Lain stares at Milo. Something like understanding crosses her face all at once - as if she's finally put something together. There's something like horror in her eyes, something she pushes down quickly. She closes her eyes and speaks gently.

"...I see. You're Revotrian, aren't you Milo?" She shakes her head. "You do a very good job hiding it... but these things are taught to Ilyun children." She pauses before opening her eyes and looking at him once more, compassionately.

"No need to tell me if I'm right or not. It doesn't matter. You're with us, now. That's what matters most. Let me explain... these are the beliefs of our people."

A cool breeze blows over the plains. The stars above glimmer and glisten.

"In the beginning, the world was a cold, desolate place. The skies were black and starless; the ground, hard and lifeless. There was only the barren naught - a world bereft of purpose, fate, and life."

"But a void seeks a vessel, and even in nothingness, desire can spring. And so the world yearned, and the Goddess was born."

"She looked upon the world and wept; and her tears became the stars. She descended, and wherever her foot landed, flowers took root. Wherever her breath swept across the empty landscape, winds sprang forth. When she desired happiness, the sun began to shine; when she felt lonely and melancholic, the night returned once more. The world wanted her so badly that it bent itself around her whim, that she might be comfortable, happy, and carefree."

"But the world could not keep her happy forever; she longed for more. For home and hearth, for companionship and camaraderie, for discovery and invention. And so she took the world that was before her, and from its nature she crafted all life - beorc and laguz, human and animal, sapient and nonsapient. She let life spring forth, and so great was her delight that she wished to share it. She dwelled with us, and encouraged us to create. She wanted to see what her creatures could imagine; see what wonders we could build. She wanted to see us explore the world, just as the world had wanted her to explore itself."

"And as she grew more and more to love her people, she spent more and more time with them. Moreover,she spent less and less time interacting with the world itself. She had seen all there was to see, she believed, felt all there was to feel. She lived now to see what her progeny would create. The yearning which had spawned her did not fall away. The world grew more and more jealous, yearned more and more for her to return to it, wanted ever-so-much for her to set foot upon its soil and play in the leaves of the trees she would spawn. It wanted her to invent, wanted her to explore and progress, wanted to learn more about her - not these shallow shadows she had created in her image. And so, from this new, twisted yearning, another being was born - Avern the Maker."

"Avern appeared to a people and whispered the secrets of invention into their ear; he had seen the Goddess experiment, knew all that could be created, and invited humanity to share in this knowledge - sweet and poison as honeysuckle. He tempted away a group of Beorc, taught them the ways of the dark, taught them about destruction and death. He taught them his jealousy, his covetousness, his yearning - and he let them loose upon their brethren. "

"Beorc and Laguz stood against the new threat side by side, and all were slaughtered for their efforts. They had progressed slowly, gently, and had nothing available to stand against the weapons of the children of Avern. Just as the whole world was to be conquered by these covetous men, the goddess intervened directly. Wielding her blade, she slew her own children by the thousands - by the millions. She tore apart the armies of Avern, ripped through the world, and plunged her blade into his heart, banishing him for eternity."

"And once she was done, she wept. For the first time, a mother knew the pain of having failed her children."

"She retired to a tower far in the east. She needed time to think, time to mourn. In the shadow of her tower, though, the survivors had learned to fight among themselves. The beorc who had fought argued that they ought to get the bigger share of the land to be redistributed once Avern's empire fell, for they were weak and had lost the most fighters. The laguz argued that it should be them, for they were strong and had fought the most readily, saved the most people. A war broke out; the beorc were defeated quickly... and the Goddess emerged from her tower."

"She cast off their shackles, cast her glare upon the laguz and their new empire. She plunged her blade into the ground, granted it to our people, and gave the world a warning: that if life would only exist to extinguish life, she would deem humanity as having lost its way. With that, she returned to the heavens, promising judgment for the unrighteous and redemption for the meek in thirty-thousand years' time."

Lain's eyes are lost in the stars. Her frown is deep.

"...That is the story we tell of how the world came to be. That is the story we tell of the Goddess. That is how we came to have the sword."

RE: [IC] Swords Beneath the Starlight - Vancho1 - 05-22-2020

Saya looks troubled, steps away slightly. Their face becomes serious, their posture straighter, more formal. They take a deep breath, patting down their hair and pulling it back with a thin silver band.

[Image: f3e2387c872f7290577e2aa85803e3b2.png]

"Fate must have brought us together. Let me reintroduce myself. I am Saya, child of Beybek, chief of the Hawk Tribe. The hawk your father knew,"

Their thin frame trembles; their voice cracks,

"Was... is.. my mother. She sent me away with the refugees and stayed to fight for our Holy mountain. I-I don't know if she's still alive. I got separated from them all, the warriors, the refugees..."

Tears well in their eyes, and they turn to try and hide it.

"I hope this isn't too much to ask since we've just met, but please, help me find them. At least the refugees I was supposed to protect. I can't... If my mother died there, her spirit wouldn't be able to rest if I failed."

RE: [IC] Swords Beneath the Starlight - SupahKiven - 05-22-2020

At Milo's words, Sunny loses her smile again.

"I see." She says simply, turning away. "It is a failing on my end, then. I suppose it would make more sense for the toxins of falsehood to be subtle, rather than overt." She sighs. "My apologies. My upbringing pulls me further from the fact of the matter than I would like..." Sunny again pauses, hands balled up in front of her mouth.

"To hear those students beseeching Progress to save them..." Her voice grew quiet. "Had I taken a different path, it could have been me teaching them, me sending them out to this fate... Though would a truth from the inside be better?..." Her words sound more musing to herself than anything else. Sunny suddenly directs her words back to Milo, eyes sharp. "This is not His will, far from it. I thank you greatly for your insight. You're the only person here who can help me in this way."

Sunny takes a step back, then pivots on her heel, glancing at Milo as she does. "I need to... reflect on this. I am coming to realize that my path is far wider than participation in this war. But I again thank you. You've done more for me than you might realize." She offers him a warm smile, though her eyes bubble with ambition.

At Roland, Sunny just blinks. She takes an evident moment to work up a response.

[Image: QwgUtY2.png]

"You'll... have to forgive my hesitation, your highness. It's... not frequent, really, that I'm invited to explain myself. Closer to never, in actuality, but I've come to see this as just another hurdle to overcome." Now that she's talking again, Sunny smiles and seems to get back into the groove of things.

"In my limited time outside of the Republic, I've found it much easier to simply offer my life as collateral." That draws a chuckle from her. "It's much easier to offer my services if I'm able to be cut off at any point. And before I continue, in fact, I'll offer the same to you! I mentioned earlier that you may do with me as you see fit, and I mean it! If you think of me as a threat, you may deal with that in any way you must, though I must reiterate that I mean you no harm. I see you and your allies as just that: allies."

"Ah, but I've moved away from the matter at hand." She clears her throat and runs a hand over her shirt. "Like any religion, the worship of Progress has its own intricacies, and while I would love to speak of everything I know, I get the feeling that doing so would mean... nothing to you. So! There are many different topics I could cover. Ones that come to mind are some blessings of Progress Himself, basic relationship values between Progress and Nature, topics of cycles, the importance of balance..." She rattles a few things off, then turns to Roland.

"I don't think I should take up your time with too much talk. After all, your attendants may think of me as an even bigger threat than they already might! If you're interested in some talk now, I can share one of those topics with you, and we can perhaps continue this discussion later, if you don't tire of me by then!"